takamine ean10c: anyone got one or any opinions?

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
My friend is selling on and hes offering it up for 500 with a hardcase. Any they good considering they were a £1000 new?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    A workhorse semi-pro/pro guitar in its day - very common from the late 80s until the early 2000s, the niche that lower-end Taylors fill now. Quite dated-sounding now, even if you liked them at the time - that definitive 80s-90s piezo electro-acoustic sound...

They're also prone to damage and wear because of the thin-finished cedar top and lack of pickguard. But unlike many other electro-acoustics, the electrics are reliable and if they do fail and aren't repairable, Takamine have made a point of not changing the size of the mountings, so they're replaceable with a newer version.

£500 is probably about right for one in excellent condition with case, although the original cases are junk and fall apart.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Ill be honest, I never though of an acoustic sounding dated....

So the electrics make it sound dated if thats youre saying?
    Jetfire said:
    Ill be honest, I never though of an acoustic sounding dated....

So the electrics make it sound dated if thats youre saying?
    Yes, the guitar itself is a perfectly standard cedar-topped, ply back & sides dreadnought. They do have through-the-bridge stringing rather than a pin bridge, which gives a slightly different sound, but some people prefer that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    ICBM said:
    Quite dated ... 80s-90s piezo electro-acoustic sound.
    Jetfire said:
    I never though of an acoustic sounding dated.
    Dated in the same sense that the sounds of the Yamaha DX-7 and KORG M-1 synthesizers were colossally overused then, suddenly, fell into disuse because they were no longer flavour of the month.

The slightly fake, over-bright guitar piezo sound sat nicely in a mix with slightly fake, over-bright keyboards and sampled percussion. 

ICBM said:
    the electrics are reliable and, if they do fail, aren't repairable, Takamine have made a point of not changing the size of the mountings, so they're replaceable with a newer version.
    How difficult would it be to extract the Takamine electronics and under-saddle transducer with a view towards replacing them with something like a K&K Pure Mini or an L.R. Baggs Dual Source system? (Obviously, a new bridge saddle would also be required.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Funkfingers said:

How difficult would it be to extract the Takamine electronics and under-saddle transducer with a view towards replacing them with something like a K&K Pure Mini or an L.R. Baggs Dual Source system? (Obviously, a new bridge saddle would also be required.)
    Other than finding some way of using or covering the huge square hole in the upper bout, not that difficult - although from memory the Takamine bridge slot is much deeper than normal so you may need to fill the bottom of it first as well.

Personally, I wouldn't - a Takamine is what it is, a good (albeit 'of its time') electro-acoustic, not really that great an acoustic guitar. If you want to improve the amplified sound it's probably better to run it through something like a Fishman Aura.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    I nearly bought one locally a bit back and missed out - kicked myself.

I really like Cedar acoustics - just a lovely eveness that makes them lovely controlled strummers imho 

If you wanted to add a K&K Mini you could leave the saddle well alone and just disconnect the piezo and use the jack for the K&K 
    Red ones are better.