I think I may be getting in to country.

What's Hot
After seeing this on Levi Clay's YouTube channel, I think I want to know more about country stylings when it comes to guitar technique.  

@koneguitarist is this what country music is all about?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I’m in admiration of a lot of country style technique but for me, like shredding, I just don’t want to listen to it. But as a skill set then it’s damn useful.
  • There are a ton of great videos on how to play it on YouTube (obviously!), but I think the best thing to do is go and do some listening and find how cool some of the playing is!

I made a video on 6 albums I recommend, but certain members suggested I only post here to promote myself... so don't post my own stuff anymore ;)

If you want to do the rock-influenced thing though, check out Johnny Hiland's first album.

Brent Mason is my hero, he's played on a TON of records (I'm really fond of his work with Alan Jackson) but his Hot Wired solo record is awesome.

Also - if you like all that bending - check out Jerry Donohue (with the Hellecasters) 

As always, tag me if you need any more advice!

Support me on Youtube or Patreon
    https://www.patreon.com/leviclay    |    https://www.youtube.com/c/leviclay
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    Danny Gatton is a master. Sad that he suffered from depression and killed himself. Very Country.

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Dottore said:
    Danny Gatton is a master. Sad that he suffered from depression and killed himself. Very Country.
    I would say he was more of Western swing meets Rockabilly meets Les Paul-style jazz, but whatever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4944

The dog!  You left out the dog from your picture compilation.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I'm working on a proper old school country project at the moment, in the middle of recording demo 12 tracks to take into the studio in 2019. It's huge amounts of fun. Really makes you approach guitar in different ways, major keys, major pentatonics, hybrid picking. Even managed to break out the banjo on 3 tracks. i've also come to love the snare drum, double bass, electric, banjo, acoustic formation. so much you can do with it.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Jim Lil is a great channel,

I like country music I think, the guitar playing/musicianship always strikes me as very good.  Not sure I would go and watch a solo singer, but I would definitely go and watch a band
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    A good way to see a load for little money is to get the basic entry to country to country at the 02.  Main tickets are a bit more but you can see some great quality country bands in the side bars.  My wife is a big country fan and we've been a few times.  Only issue is I have watched a lot of these bands live, then bought their albums and they have been produced to death and all the grit is removed.

Would love a an 8 litre pickup though!!
  • richcolrichcol Frets: 12
    Not too well up on this style but Guthrie Trapp's latest album, Life After Dark, is really good.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4944
    A lot of ‘name’ guitar players release albums that are impressive technically but drivel musically. Best listen to the better known country singers, they usually employ the best session players, players who deliver. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    Country music out of Nashville is the biggest load of garbage ever. 
    For modern Country look up Sam Hunt, Walker Hayes, Florida Georgia line with Bebe Rexha. 
    Just to see how bad it has become. 
    For those of us who remember R n B as Yardbirds, spencer Davis Group etc and not Beyoncé will see what I am getting at. If you want to hear real modern country music that is actually Country you need to listen to my show on Tuesday nights. And give up on Bob (I've sold out Harris. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    edited May 2018
    Country music out of Nashville is the biggest load of garbage ever. 
    For modern Country look up Sam Hunt, Walker Hayes, Florida Georgia line with Bebe Rexha. 
    Just to see how bad it has become. 
    For those of us who remember R n B as Yardbirds, spencer Davis Group etc and not Beyoncé will see what I am getting at. If you want to hear real modern country music that is actually Country you need to listen to my show on Tuesday nights. And give up on Bob (I've sold out Harris. 
    Country is a broad church, and encompasses a wide range of sub-genres. Like R'n'B, it is still evolving.

I have bookmarked the Abbey 104 online radio page and will tune in tomorrow night.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    Taff, is your show available on some sort of catch-up service?
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    You'll have to face up to your Telehatred if you continue on this path. :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    @mudslide73 , I have realised that I'll have to make peace with this .:D
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723

I would advise getting into to country music because you like country music, not because you are impressed with a load of choppy guitar playing.

There is a rich legacy of great song writing in country music (as well as great guitar playing).

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I can’t remember the quote word for word but I remember Adrian Legg saying that he used to play guitar in country bands until one day he looked up and realised there was a guy at the front of the stage in a big hat singing about trucks. 

I think there is a bit of disconnect between guitar oriented country and what is actually popular ( be it from Nashville or elsewhere). It's like judging all rock music by Yngwie Malmsteen and Racer X albums. 

For me I prefer an even smaller listening pool of people like Jim Campilongo and Greg Koch and Jerry Donahue who use a lot of classic country technique ( hybrid and chicken picking, faux steel bends,etc) but rarely play straight country.

I was going to say I can't really relate to a lot of country music, although I'm not similarly impeded with songs from Chicago in the 1950s or Jamaica in the 1970s so why I draw the line at white people in the present I'm not sure. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
     It's like judging all rock music by Yngwie Malmsteen and Racer X albums. 

@EricTheWeary

Excerpt from DLM's Christmas card list:

EricTheWeary

:p

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom