Line 6 Helix HX effects unit leaked....

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cabicular said:
    A lot of it is highly subjective
    ive never heard a better Univibe, the chorus and flanger models are exactly what I’m looking for
    i like the reverbs and delays but full disclosure, I’m a rock guitarist so my needs are a lot simpler there
    the HX when I tried it didn’t noticeably colour the tone and drives and impedance work as you would expect
    I honestly can’t get a satisfying sound from the vibe. I must be doing something wrong
    It’s not a sound I like really but it feels authentic and easier to get something I can live with than most versions of it
    i have to have it before the drives though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Thanks for the feedback. Gonna have to try one of these
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    edited May 2018
    OK, so I went and snagged one this afternoon and have had a fiddle for an hour or two. AB'ing against some premium analog pedals, it doesn't quite compare, but it's 90% there. Impressive.

Even though many say it's intuitive, this old dinosaur still felt a bit 'death by digital menus' and the manual scared me. But to put it in context, I have not and probably will never own a Strymon pedal and prefer pedals with no more than three knobs! Shocking at 42! I think maybe the simple, analog thing is engrained in my soul.

The other thing that bothered me was the bypass tone. It's somewhat bright and harsh compared to plugging straight into your valve amp. I had better luck setting the input to 'line' rather than 'instrument'. 

Hmmm, I love the idea of this unit, but I'm not sure I can give up the feel of my analog pedals. Digital stuff just makes me feel a bit sterile, for want of a better word. I'll probably feel different tomorrow though, such is the finickity nature of tone! The idea of buying an expensive, programmable looper and more patch cables depresses me though...
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Used it today for two different bands at a wee festival i was playing.

Was generally happy with it. I do run a couple external drives and a wah but some of the hx drives are growing on me.  Still dont think its as good as my other pedal board but its getting closer
  • Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    A lot of it is highly subjective
    ive never heard a better Univibe, the chorus and flanger models are exactly what I’m looking for
    i like the reverbs and delays but full disclosure, I’m a rock guitarist so my needs are a lot simpler there
    the HX when I tried it didn’t noticeably colour the tone and drives and impedance work as you would expect
    I honestly can’t get a satisfying sound from the vibe. I must be doing something wrong
    It’s not a sound I like really but it feels authentic and easier to get something I can live with than most versions of it
    i have to have it before the drives though 
    Yeah I had it first too, I still have a vibe on my board. I only want it to do Hendrix and that’s its it. I’m not a vibe snob, just as long as it makes me smile 
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 745
    Anyone know if there’s a way to use the FX as an A/B switcher to two amps? 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    The manual (p.36) shows two Ext.jacks for various things including changing channels on amps and so it looks like it will do that but I'm not sure if that means it will switch between the 2 actual amps. Sounds as if it should, yeah???
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Multiple ways of doing this, set up a snapshot to pan left or right output, or use an expression pedal to pan between them
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    John_A said:
    Multiple ways of doing this, set up a snapshot to pan left or right output, or use an expression pedal to pan between them
    Spot on John... there are many ways 
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 745
    £438 on Thomann now. Tempting...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    £438 on Thomann now. Tempting...
    Definitely worth that. This unit will only get better with firmware updates
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I can see this being £399 in a few months and it being a HUGE seller.
  • mattismetalmattismetal Frets: 90
    I saw another thread somewhere that they had rectified a noise issue. At £399 I'd consider another
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

I've been asking for this exact product for ages... and now it exists, I've realised I use hardly any FX anymore...

I still want it. But in full "never freakin' satisfied bellend mode" am thinking.. what if they did an equivalent 'M5/H9' version ? Stereo I/O or Pre/post routing. no additional loops, maybe just 2 or 3 buttons, with the ability for 2 or 3 FX at one time?

I'm sure @digital_igloo will deny it'll ever happen, much like the HXeffects :)

• At £399 even I’m going to get one and I already have a Helix
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NotNowJohnNotNowJohn Frets: 187
    Is anyone powering a HX with a GigRig power supply?
    Is anyone powering a HX with a GigRig power supply?
    I havent tried it, but Line 6 have offered advice only to use the factory PS. Ive bought a second DC3 (?) to use with mine.

By the way, Ive found a dirt cheap lovely quality case for mine...

Amazon basics - only £13.49 ! Fts superbly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-14-1-Inch-Laptop-Tablet-Case/dp/B00DUGZFLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526010852&sr=8-1&keywords=AmazonBasics+14.1-Inch+Laptop+and+Tablet+Case

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ive been using the cheapy one spot psu works fine if you add the sockets recommended
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    At £399 even I’m going to get one and I already have a Helix
    They will get cheaper as soon as secondhand ones start floating around regularly under £400
    Why buy new anyway?