Another mixing/production challenge?

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
edited May 2018 in Making Music
As the title suggests...

anyone fancy another go? @flying_pie , @spark240 , @IMC1980 , @TTony ?
If there’s interest I’ll sort tracks out!

****EDIT****

I've added all the submission so far to the play list below, If Ive missed any let me know.

http://soundcloud.com/user-296617142/sets/mixing-challenge-1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    I'm in, had a great time with the last one!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    IMC1980 said:
    I'm in, had a great time with the last one!
    Files sent!. 

If anyone else wants a crack dm me and I’ll sent the link!...
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I'm in 
    I'm in 
    Link sent...
    So far we have @IMC1980, @Strangefan and @octatonic.

Files all sent, it’s just for a bit of fun if folk want to practice (if they need to) post your mixes here along with an explaination of what you have done and how you achieved it I guess.

Feel free to add any other instruments/beats etc

Eurodance remix maybe? :) 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Count me in, please.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Oh, go on, Father Crilly. Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on. 
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    I've still not got around to doing the thrash metal remix I planned for the last one!
    Files sent to @robinbowes and @Funkfingers.

May as well post my first attempt...

Fings done:
    All drums have a bit of EQ on them... I duplicated the "Snare Top" and used that for parallel compression... duplicated the "kick out" and dropped it an octave with a pitch shifter just to give it some thump. With the EQ I have removed a lot of mud around 500hz on most tracks.

Bass has EQ just to remove a bit of mud, again all around 500hz

Guitars are pretty much "as is".

Vocals, Added a small plate reverb to the main vocal along with a bit of EQ and Compression... Duplicated the main vocal and dropped it 5 semitones for a bass harmony... BV's have Compression, EQ and Reverb

The master track has basic compresion - EQ - Multipressor - Limiter applied.

The above was mixed using my AKG cans and an excellent plugin 
    http://www.midnightwalrus.com/Canz3D/ which simulates studio monitors through your headphones (don't forget to turn it off before bouncing the final mix!!!!!).

Listened to on Monitors, Headphones, Earbuds, shite bluetooth speaker, HIFI and Car stereo

Feel free to comment

I've still not got around to doing the thrash metal remix I planned for the last one!
    That I want to hear!!!!.

In on this one?
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I'm in.  My mixing/production skills are pretty much just the solo of the month comp where my method is - Record - Try and get the levels about right - twiddle some EQ knobs until it sounds less bad - Bounce mix!!

Having a go with multiple tracks would be great practice.
    ChrisRG said:
    I'm in.  My mixing/production skills are pretty much just the solo of the month comp where my method is - Record - Try and get the levels about right - twiddle some EQ knobs until it sounds less bad - Bounce mix!!

Having a go with multiple tracks would be great practice.
    Sent!...
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    poopot said:
    That I want to hear!!!!.

In on this one?

I'll wait until I finish the last one as well as this month's SOTM and ROTM and a couple of other projects! 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    Thanks for sending, I am finishing up an original track (cover is my profile pic) and a weird cover, then I'll get on with this!
    edited May 2018
    Be seeing you.
    OK, noob questions alert...... I imported all the tracks into Studio One and then kind of didn't know where to start.  Are there any "standard" or "best practice" approaches to the basics?  I know it's not an exact science but if anyone would share their approach that would be awesome.

I've played around with EQ, cutting freq to see if it helps separate the tracks a bit.  Came across this which looks quite useful,
    http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

With the left and right guitars, I just panned them accordingly.

@poopot how did you know to remove stuff at 500hz?  Experience or analysis?

Thanks in advance.

@ChrisRG ;

with this one I started by building the drums.

solo all the drum tracks. Mute the overheads and room tracks.

picture yourself stood infront of a drum kit... directly infront of the kick drum...

I panned the kick dead centre... Our drummer is right handed so if I’m stood infront of his kit his snare is slightly to the right of the kick... his hi hats are slightly further to the right. So I pan these in the same way... (tom track is stereo already thanks to a cock up so leave that set to the centre)... Set your levels how you like it to sound... when you bring in the overheads and room it’ll add a bit more dimension to the mix...

the bass I left fairly central but panned slightly so it sits just in it’s own space.

guitars i panned left and right, you don’t have to, stick them where ever you like!!!!!!

vocals are fairly central agin in their own space tho’

bv’s are panned to the side...

every track should be panned so it sits in its own space on the stereo spectrum.

once I have the basic mix done, I then look at what instruments are stamping all over other instruments frequency wise... if you look at that chart you linked to, the kick, bass and guitar occupy most of the same frequencies... stick a meter on each of those tracks and see where they cross over... “cut” the frequencies that are clashing from each track, it should clear up the mud a little...

when you eq each track, do it with all the tracks playing... no point in eqing the snare in isolation for example only to find the guitar stomps all over it when it’s mixed back in!...

I like to mix everything at quite a low volume... similar to a loud conversation volume wise. I also make sure no track is hitting the red (try to keep out of the yellow tbh)...

you can always bring the volume up in the mastering stage!...

hope that helps a bit :)

That's a great help, thanks very much.  Imagining standing in front of the kit and panning accordingly makes a lot of sense.

I'll give all that a go and see where I get to.  I appreciate the advise. :)
    ChrisRG said:
    Imagining standing in front of the kit and panning accordingly makes a lot of sense.
    Only up to a point. The only person who normally hears an acoustic drum kit panned through 180 degrees is the drummer playing them. To a listener a few yards in front of the kit, that stereo imaging spread is considerably narrower. To anybody much further away, the direct acoustic sounds of the kit are, to all intents and purposes, monaural.

poopot said:
    Feel free to add any other instruments/beats etc. Eurodance remix maybe? :) 
    I considered doing that. Unfortunately, the majority of electronic dance music adheres to a strict mechanical tempo whereas The Chicken Thieves generate all manner of, ahem, human artefacts.

It would be possible, if time consuming, to Time Stretch the band instrument tracks into alignment with looped drums, percussion and arpeggiators but that would rob the recording of some of its feel.
    Be seeing you.
    poopot said:
    Feel free to add any other instruments/beats etc. Eurodance remix maybe? :) 
    I considered doing that. Unfortunately, the majority of electronic dance music adheres to a strict mechanical tempo whereas The Chicken Thieves generate all manner of, ahem, human artefacts.

It would be possible, if time consuming, to Time Stretch the band instrument tracks into alignment with looped drums, percussion and arpeggiators but that would rob the recording of some of its feel.
    I like that... going to shout that at the drummer next band camp... “STOP ADDING HUMAN ARTEFACTS!!!!!" :)

Although I am going to come to the drummers defence on this one (doesn't happen often, if at all) it should be bang on 120bpm
    We originally recorded just the drums with bass and a guide vocal in his ears along with a click track.
    a quick render with a click attached.

ChrisRG said:
    Imagining standing in front of the kit and panning accordingly makes a lot of sense.
    Only up to a point. The only person who normally hears an acoustic drum kit panned through 180 degrees is the drummer playing them. To a listener a few yards in front of the kit, that stereo imaging spread is considerably narrower. To anybody much further away, the direct acoustic sounds of the kit are, to all intents and purposes, monaural.

Agreed, the overheads are only at about 30 l-r no point sticking anything outside that range...