Vintage Acoustic Advice

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1283
Hi

This weekend I played my first vintage acoustic guitar, a 1957 J-45.

Absolutely blown away, the sound was like a full orchestra and it was so easy to play.

Unfortunately the price matched! If I wanted to make my first foray into a vintage acoustic - any slightly less costly introductions?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    How much was it and what’s your budget?
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

This was just under 5k, I could certainly imagine something beginning with a 2..

So - budget of up to 3k maybe?

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 911

If round-shouldered dreadnoughts are your bag then a vintage (60s) Epiphone Texan (FT-79) is in your budget. Great sounding acoustics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphone_Texan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks so much, Wiz'd - looks worthy of research
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    If you head slightly forward into the future to around 1966 you can get a J45 or J50 for around £2-2.5k. I've got a J50 from that period and it's a fine guitar. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    peteri said:

This was just under 5k, I could certainly imagine something beginning with a 2..

If you are not just restricted to a vintage Gibson, I'd have a look at some newer models as well like a True Vintage J-45 as well. 

I think the Epiphone Texan has a 25.5" scale whilst the J-45 is 24.75".
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Look at Guild 60s Dreads and Jumbos, seriously undervalued. 

Thanks - how about early 70's J45s? When does the quality dip?
  • tralfamadantralfamadan Frets: 31
    peteri said:
    Thanks - how about early 70's J45s? When does the quality dip?
    Not to derail the thread but on a similar note - why do people ward off '70s Martins?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    Not to derail the thread but on a similar note - why do people ward off '70s Martins?
    Bridge misplacement and ensuing intonation issues. Not sure of which years it affects...I think early 70s.

Beyond that they don't really have any issues that I'm aware of, they're just not anything special compared objectively to what's available new nowadays. A post-2012 D18 will be a far superior instrument to a 1972 one, for instance. Like the vast majority of the vintage guitar market really!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    peteri said:

Me personally I would aim for a late sixties Gibson J200 or a 69 Martin D-28. These will mostly be advertised around £4K-£5k mark but cash is king and £3k might just do it. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Lewy said:
    Bridge misplacement and ensuing intonation issues. Not sure of which years it affects...I think early 70s.

Beyond that they don't really have any issues that I'm aware of, they're just not anything special compared objectively to what's available new nowadays. A post-2012 D18 will be a far superior instrument to a 1972 one, for instance. Like the vast majority of the vintage guitar market really!
    One of the top 5 acoustics I’ve ever played was a ‘73 D35 - truly exceptional. John Martyn’s 70s albums were recorded using an early 70s D28 and contain some of my favourite recorded acoustic tones.

You need to judge the instrument on its merits - but don’t just rule out 70s Martins.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Lewy said:

One of the top 5 acoustics I’ve ever played was a ‘73 D35 - truly exceptional. John Martyn’s 70s albums were recorded using an early 70s D28 and contain some of my favourite recorded acoustic tones.

You need to judge the instrument on its merits - but don’t just rule out 70s Martins.
    Yep, also, Michael Hedges used a 1971 D28 to great effect.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766

Bucket said:
    You'll get a Nick Drake spec but not the Nick Drake sound because he didn't play one.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    kt66 said:
    Look at Guild 60s Dreads and Jumbos, seriously undervalued. 

This! Or if not wedded to going vintage have a look at the Guild Orpheum range - they do a couple of slope shoulder dreads - I have the 12 fret model and it is stellar.