How much does it cost to retrofit acoustic with pick ups/preamsp

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4193
    ICBM said:
    Lewy said:

It’s also one of those products that earned its rep when there wasn’t much other quality competition. I really don’t think they sound as good as other cheaper things that have come along since (like the Baggs M1A or M80). 
    I have to say I don't like the M1A. (I haven't tried the M80.) I did at first, but after a while it somehow started to grate, and now I tend to hear that every time... whereas I used to think the Rare Earth sounded a bit bland, but now I think it sounds better than the Baggs.
    I might know the characteristic of the M1A you’re referring to, actually. Something honky in the mids you can’t quite get rid of?

if it is that, it bothered me too until I put the M1A through a Session DI and turned up the comp EQ (multiband compression). It largely went away but of course once you start adding in the cost of preamps to get pickups sounding how you want them, things like the Sunrise stop looking expensive... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72316
    Lewy said:

I might know the characteristic of the M1A you’re referring to, actually. Something honky in the mids you can’t quite get rid of?
    Yes, a weird midrangy 'overtoney' kind of sound.

Lewy said:

if it is that, it bothered me too until I put the M1A through a Session DI and turned up the comp EQ (multiband compression).
    It bothered me until I picked up another Rare Earth :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom