I think I may be getting in to country.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4945
    jpfamps said:

I would advise getting into to country music because you like country music, not because you are impressed with a load of choppy guitar playing.

There is a rich legacy of great song writing in country music (as well as great guitar playing).

Very good point you make @jpfamps.  Play the music you like OP rather than the music you think is hip or cool now. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    When I read this I thought you were a refugee writing in broken english  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    But @jpfamps and @Rocker , I got into playing what I do now because of Glenn Tipton and Tony Iommi.  The way they make a guitar work turned my musical direction.  I'm not sure I can even remember listening to anything before that , except Adam and The Ants. 

If there is a form of music that I've been ingnoring based on ignorance I'm willing to give it a try.  I'm sure that I can learn something from it.  

@koneguitarist , I'm already looking forward to tonight's show.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4945
    Country is a very broad church - rootsy country has little or no twangy guitars for example. Ditto for rootsy blues. The modern country styles feature virtuoso guitar playing, I was trying to make you aware that there is more to country than Albert Lee for example. 

But it if you enjoy it, keep on doing it. Don’t get hung up on the genre name. Country with a rock flavor? Why not?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose album

You're welcome
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    jpfamps said:

I would advise getting into to country music because you like country music, not because you are impressed with a load of choppy guitar playing.

There is a rich legacy of great song writing in country music (as well as great guitar playing).

+1 to this. I came to country for the guitar playing, but stayed for the great songs. And even more guitar playing.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited May 2018
    Did anyone else on here catch @koneguitarist ''s show last night?  I can safely say that not all country music is for me, but some of it has me hooked in a way that modern blues-rock doesn't.

TL:DR

I'm in and I want to know more.
    I tuned in about 7.20 and listened to 3 songs, all of which I liked. I then stopped to do other stuff. I tend not to sit and listen to the radio unless I'm in the car, and only then to specific shows - this one has joined the list!
    Be aware that if you want your country live, you will have to exercise some caution. I play bass in a band on the country covers circuit, but the majority of acts on that circuit are solo artists or duos with backing tracks. Many will strum an acoustic guitar, a few will play a bit of lead guitar, mandolin, or fiddle, but for the most part the only hot pickin' you will hear will be on said backing tracks.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    First of all thank you to @Handsome_Chris and @Keefy for tuning in.
    But about Country guitar, there is a misconception that it's all speedy chicken picking like Brad Paisley, Brent Mason the style made popular by believe it or not English guitarists Albert Lee and Ray Flacke, who stole from Jimmy Bryant and the Bakersfield guys James Burton, Roy Nicholls and Don Rich.
    Country guitar solos in early days were more bluesy and  jazzy than specifically Country, players from Hank Williams  and Bob Will's bands generally played Gibson and Gretsch arch tops. Joe Maphis used Mosrite twin necks for example. 
    Merle Travis came out with his own style which Chet Atkins refined, again much more complex than most would think. But the most important aspect was solo must fit the song and not be a vehicle to show off, hence quite often solo would be shared between sometimes 2-3 players on different instruments, which made a short snappy solo lead into something else quite cool but as country bands slimmed down from 7-8 PC bands down to about 5 solos for the individual got longer. 
    Then you had the guys like Roy Clark tearing it up. He was a monster player. 
    But I digress nowadays on what we think of as real country not the shit that comes out of Nashville pop machine, the guitarists use Les Pauls, PRS, strats whatever they feel like as its not about the guitar it's about the feel again. Listen to Chris Knights first album, the guitarist is David Grissom on a PRS and a Marshall, as country as it gets but listen to the guitar playing, it's nothing like Albert Lee and co.
    Harmony solos are back in style as they were in the 50's. Anyway here's a couple of vids for you. 

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723

Echoing what @koneguitarist says above, country is very broad church.

The very eary country pre-war country / Western swing players came from a jazz background and usually played archtops (there were no Teles!).

Most of the classic Nashville country was played on Gretschs or Gibsons, and there are some fabulous players, such as Hank Garland, Grady Martin and Chet.

I don't know if they eschewed Fender's because they were not "proper" guitars, or perhaps like the first generation of Chicago Blues players they favoured more expensive instruments.

The introduction of the Tele into country was really down to the West Coast based country players (not surprises there as Fender were a Calfornian company) starting with the fabulous Jimmy Bryant, and then Buck Owens and Don Rich were probably the archetypal Tele twangers.

I saw Dave Grissom with Joe Ely in the 90's and he was fantastic. And one of only 3 players I've seen using a PRS at a "proper" gig, and by that I mean a gig I have paid money to specifically the see a band on the bill.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    I can’t remember the quote word for word but I remember Adrian Legg saying that he used to play guitar in country bands until one day he looked up and realised there was a guy at the front of the stage in a big hat singing about trucks. 

I think there is a bit of disconnect between guitar oriented country and what is actually popular ( be it from Nashville or elsewhere). It's like judging all rock music by Yngwie Malmsteen and Racer X albums. 

For me I prefer an even smaller listening pool of people like Jim Campilongo and Greg Koch and Jerry Donahue who use a lot of classic country technique ( hybrid and chicken picking, faux steel bends,etc) but rarely play straight country.

I was going to say I can't really relate to a lot of country music, although I'm not similarly impeded with songs from Chicago in the 1950s or Jamaica in the 1970s so why I draw the line at white people in the present I'm not sure. 

I love trucking songs!

We have a rule in one band I polay with that every gig should include at least one trucking song!
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    jpfamps said:
    I can’t remember the quote word for word but I remember Adrian Legg saying that he used to play guitar in country bands until one day he looked up and realised there was a guy at the front of the stage in a big hat singing about trucks. 

I think there is a bit of disconnect between guitar oriented country and what is actually popular ( be it from Nashville or elsewhere). It's like judging all rock music by Yngwie Malmsteen and Racer X albums. 

For me I prefer an even smaller listening pool of people like Jim Campilongo and Greg Koch and Jerry Donahue who use a lot of classic country technique ( hybrid and chicken picking, faux steel bends,etc) but rarely play straight country.

I was going to say I can't really relate to a lot of country music, although I'm not similarly impeded with songs from Chicago in the 1950s or Jamaica in the 1970s so why I draw the line at white people in the present I'm not sure. 

I love trucking songs!

We have a rule in one band I polay with that every gig should include at least one trucking song!
    Nick Lowe does a great version of the old Dick Curless song Tombstone every mile. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Ahhhh ....... maybe I should have actually read more than the thread title before reporting you as an illegal immigrant.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    Check out Brothers Osborne latest album. Some of the best guitar playing and tones I’ve heard in years! Also Midland are a great modern band if you prefer the more traditional stuff.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose album

You're welcome
    I should probably give this another go, but I was soooo disappointed with this when it came out. Loretta Lynn's original sixties and seventies hits are totally great and feature the cream of Nashville session musos from the time. Van Lear Rose is Jack White and his mates demonstrating exactly why they were never the cream of Nashville session musos -- good songs played and recorded badly.