Solo of the Month (SotM) #36 - Chat

What's Hot

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    I'll briefly discuss the techniques I used.

The first half is obviously a backwards guitar. I split the backing track in half and reversed the first half as a new take in Reaper. I jammed along without any consideration of scales but trying to have an idea of the textures I wanted when the track was reversed. I found that quite tricky to get my head around and it took a few goes. 

I reversed the solo and returned the backing to its original state. I then added a stereo phaser, reverb ana pan effect as it wouldn't have the same effect if it was recorded first then reversed. 

I then played an Am pentatonic /A Aeolian melody with a bit of reverb for the second half. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I like that we have challenging, unusual backing tracks.  Getting out of your comfort zone is a good thing to do now and then. 

Agreed. I hope it was obvious that my early remarks were tongue in cheek. 
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515

I like that we have challenging, unusual backing tracks.  Getting out of your comfort zone is a good thing to do now and then. 

Agreed. I hope it was obvious that my early remarks were tongue in cheek. 
    Hey, it's not a contest......oh wait.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

DulcetJones said:

Hey, it's not a contest......oh wait.

Correct. It's the "SotM challenge". That's what is says in the description . And that's why I always refer to 'submissions' rather than 'entries'.

I dare say that viewpoint might change under certain circumstances... It definitely becomes a competition if you win it!  :)
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Sent.  I got my Mustang out and dialed up a clean/reverb surf sound and got kind of loungy. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Sent.  I got my Mustang out and dialed up a clean/reverb surf sound and got kind of loungy. 

That makes three entries in the playlist.
    It's not a competition.
    Done mine, so that makes 4 in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    Mine is sent.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Mine is sent.

In the playlist. That makes 5 entries.

It's not a competition.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Really want to have a go at this....just need to find the time again!!

Nice entries already too. 
    edited May 2018
    Rowby1 said:

It would be great to hear an entry from you.

Last weekend before the challenge ends at 11:30pm on Wednesday 23rd May 2018.

It's not a competition.
    Rowby1 said:

It would be great to hear an entry from you.

Seconded
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    edited May 2018
    I've sent my entry in.

It's a 60s spy theme, isn't it? Hence I have attempted to create "Theme from Unknown Man", the title sequence from a little-known TV series shown for 3 weeks only on ATV Midlands in 1969.

In my simplistic way, "spy theme" boils down to semi-tone intervals and lashings of plate reverb. I suppose I was thinking of things like Get Carter (not actually from the 1960s, I know), The PersuadersThe Ipcress File and so on. So I fiddled around Am and added grace notes a semi-tone above or below where the main notes were until I got a melody that sounded suitably mysterious. I played the first half in 3/4 across the 4/4 beat to make it sound interesting, and the second half in 4/4, but shorter phrases, to make it sound like it was going faster.

Production wise, this was straight into the audio interface and all effects in the box: JS  1175 compressor (one of the many compressors in Reaper), a bass amp plugin that came free with Computer Music, TAL's Dub II delay, Acon Digital Verb (also free with CM), and a (free) valve exciter thing to sprinkle a little pixie dust over the top. (I haven't gone for many paid plugins yet!)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Sent one in!.
    markv said:
    I've sent my entry in.

It's a 60s spy theme, isn't it? Hence I have attempted to create "Theme from Unknown Man", the title sequence from a little-known TV series shown for 3 weeks only on ATV Midlands in 1969.

That alone deserves at least a point. 
    markv said:
    I've sent my entry in.

poopot said:
    Sent one in!.

...and that's 7 entries now in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
     Next month full on rock??  Hold my beer, i have some shredding to do!
    Get on board for this one. It's 83bpm... That could mean at least 32nd note runs for you shredders .. ;)

I've just come up with a heavy rock riff that I might use for next month's SotM. Would people be up for that type of backing track?

It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    I've just come up with a heavy rock riff that I might use for next month's SotM. Would people be up for that type of backing track?

Can’t think of a good reason for “no”!!!! Go for it!...
    I'll attempt a solo to anything. Heavy rock would be perfectly appropriate as far as I'm concerned 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    OK, entry sent ... I'm sorry, I'm very, very sorry!

I promised myself I'd enter these every month but as usual life got in the way and I forgot.  I have had literally 5 minutes tonight before going to rehearsal and that's my last in time until past deadline ... so this is what you get.

Honestly I feel dirty and ashamed, the playing isn't great and the fact I used a musicman monitored through my Quincy Jones headphones ... I just ... well, when I get back from rehearsal it's bed with no supper.