18 Watter

What's Hot

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Love this :) amazing skills too, fair play 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    V. kind of you @lonestar but skilful, I ain't. The fact that the amp works is more down to Michael Modulus' patience than my expertise - and the carpentry is pretty rough and done mainly with the wrong tools for the job! Filler, paint and tolex will hopefully cover up the deficiencies.

Now, the next amp, mark you - the NEXT amp - well, that will be perfect!
    Question for those with more experience:

Shall I buy a 8 or 16Ohm Greenback for it?

I've been testing it with an 8Ohm V30, but I'm building it for a family member who wants a Greenback.

OT has outs for 4, 8 & 16. I doubt it will ever be rehoused or used with an extension cab.
    OK, no opinions there. 8Ohm ordered.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    For combo's I normally go for 16ohm, means if you pair them up later you get 8hms. not that important though.

looking good, where did you get the pine, it looks fairly knot free and unwarped?
    Just B&Q. I imagine I could have got it cheaper, but they are pretty good about chopping it to size at my local. I tried to pick nice pieces from what they had.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    Obviously your BNQ is better than my BNQ...
    Last week I was trying to reduce noise by shortening and neatening some of the wires and managed to solder one of the wires back to the wrong turret. Instead of connecting signal to the Vol & Tone pots, I connected them to the power rail.

Blue sparks. Funny smell.

I'm ashamed to have made such a careless and dangerous mistake. Sobering.

I reconnected everything properly but the pots didn't work any more. Re-ordered pots from Modulus on Friday afternoon and they arrived on Saturday, which was cool!

I installed them last night but it was too late for a trial. Fingers crossed it will work when I get home from work.
    I did get some work done on the cab though. I've painted the interior matt black, put the grille cloth on the exterior baffle, and cut some tolex panels to size.

Salt & Pepper cloth seems appropriate for an 18 Watter.

The snakeskin tolex wouldn't be my choice, but I'm making this for someone else!

The snakeskin pattern has a grain to it so I'm trying to keep it running top to bottom on the sides and side to side on the top, bottom, front and back.

Next job - gluing, trimming and watching YouTube tutorials on how to do corners!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Looking good Danny I quite like the snakeskin.  
    Adam_MD said:
    Hmm. it's a bit Peter Stringfellow....
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited January 2018
    DannyP said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Hmm. it's a bit Peter Stringfellow....
    I don’t think it’s that bad if it was a brighter colour  i’d agree with you.  
    I fired it up when I got home from work and it works fine.

I played it through a V30 in a combo I built a couple of years back. It will eventually go through a Greenback.

It sounds really nice. Great cleans - better than I expected. And the trem has a really deep throb that you don't really get from a trem pedal.

Well I had a long, enforced break from this project, but finally got back on track last month.

I had a couple of issues with noise. There was a fizzy characteristic and @Modulus_Amps recommended a conjunctive filter. 

The fizziness actually died down after a few hours use, so I added the conjunctive filter on a switch. It takes out some fizz at high gain, but does dull the sound slightly on some pickup setting. I prefer the 'alive' sound I get without the filter, but it's good o have it on a switch.

The other problem was a loud ticking along with the tremolo. Again @Modulus_Amps was a great help. I hadn't used shielded cable for a couple of crucial connections around the trem valve. I swapped the leads out and moved them about a bit, and now it's fine!
    Another interesting part of completing the project was that I was testing the amp through a Celestion Vintage30 and but used a Greenback in the actual combo.

It sounded nice through the V30, but I far prefer the Greenback. It just achieves so much more clarity in the upper mid/top end - but nice clarity without any harshness.

The V30 had a bit of a midrange honk, which was not unpleasant but kind of idiosyncratic. I was worried that the amp might lack 'cut', but then when I hooked it up to the Greenback, it all made a lot more sense.
    So anyway, here it is

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
    Looks great.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 996
    Cracking job on that grille cloth! Super straight.