Bass for acoustic oriented gigs?

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579

Jalapeno said:
    I think a Mark Bass or Hartke combo or small head and one cab would suit all options.  Or an old Gallien Kruger - they seem popular with upright/acoustic bassists.

I have a tatty GK MB100, to go with my Yamaha BEX4 (pickup & piezo) for occasional forays into bass playing - with Django/Swing acoustic players.

Small combo def looking like an option.

I really like the look of those BEX4’s but they are pretty rare and they probably won’t get me anything that the Ibanez will.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

ICBM said:
    Another thing that's worth trying is to *play* the bass like an upright - Bill Wyman style :). That might sound odd, but try it... hold the bass as near to upright as you can, and play over the end of the fingerboard with your thumb on the side of the neck. I'm not sure if it's because of the picking position or the way the strings resonate differently when they're vertical rather than horizontal, but it really does change the sound - even on a fretted bass.

That's why old Fender basses have a strap button on the back of the headstock.

Though of course you are right about the button on the back of the headstock... I’ve tried it. It’s about as comfortable as reading a thread on vintage guitars on here.

ICBM said:
    That's why old Fender basses have a strap button on the back of the headstock.
    This suggestion pretty much obliges Bridgehouse to play his old Fender Precision ... which is probably what he was going to do all along. :-p 
    Funnily enough, it isn’t perfect for everything. With the old Chromes on it it does a brilliant full fat dull P bass thud. But I’m not sure it’s idea for an acoustic set. Maybe it is. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I suppose what you really need is a vintage Gibson EB-1, with the proper 'cello spike' they originally came with fitted.

Or a Rickenbacker...

Electric Upright Bass, from 1936 :).

http://www.carlsguitarcorner.com/links/Resources/RickEbassviol.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I suppose what you really need is a vintage Gibson EB-1, with the proper 'cello spike' they originally came with fitted.

Or a Rickenbacker...

Electric Upright Bass, from 1936 :).

http://www.carlsguitarcorner.com/links/Resources/RickEbassviol.jpg
    You know, I’d love an original eb-1 or even a reissue (which nobody has ever done)

Maybe I should get somebody to build me one. Or build one myself. Lol.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Bridgehouse said:
    You know, I’d love an original eb-1 or even a reissue (which nobody has ever done)
    Warwick made a pretty convincing lookalike for Jack Bruce. As seen on the Cream 2005 reunion DVD.

Bridgehouse said:
    Funnily enough, [the vintage Fender P] isn’t perfect for everything. With the old Chromes on it it does a brilliant full fat dull P bass thud. But I’m not sure it’s idea for an acoustic set. Maybe it is. 
    One pair of pliers x twenty minutes = problem solved, innit? ;)

ICBM said:
    Rickenbacker.
    Bless you. 
    Be seeing you.
    edited May 2018
    @Funkfingers  - I’m disappointed that you aren’t encouraging the purchase of more basses to be honest.

You are losing your touch...
    Like the Glove in Yellow Submarine?
    Be seeing you.
    Like the Glove in Yellow Submarine?
    Now now don’t be coy - I’m actually surprised you haven’t tried to flog me a semi acoustic Gibson ;)
    As far as I know, that is still in the West Midlands - either in the vaults of you know who or with an instrument retailer who frequents this forum. 

I have refrained from tagging you know who into this thread because, if he still has the Gibbo, he will start touting it again.
    Be seeing you.
    As far as I know, that is still in the West Midlands - either in the vaults of you know who or with an instrument retailer who frequents this forum. 

I have refrained from tagging you know who into this thread because, if he still has the Gibbo, he will start touting it again.
    No I believe it was traded with another forum member who has now entered it into the next Gardiner Houlgate auction - yep, just checked and it’s listed...
    Phew! Looks as if we both escaped that one. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    Phew! Looks as if we both escaped that one. ;)
    Estimate is £1.5k - £2k

Way too rich to fill an acoustic short scale hole....! I’d stretch to an old yammy bex4 but...

Back on topic, Ashbory? 

Be seeing you.
    I do have a custom gspbasses 51P semi acoustic body and neck that I need to build...

I wonder if a choice pickup might do the job...?

This has the makings of a possible - but 51P single coils tend to be quite rowdy...
    Lindy Fralin noise-cancelling '51 P style replacement? Piezo bridge?

If I were after your money, I would suggest my Yamaha Attitude Custom - piezo, Precision and mudbucker pickups. 

Speaking of Yamaha, whatever happened to your refinished hardboard project?
    Be seeing you.
    Lindy Fralin noise-cancelling '51 P style replacement? Piezo bridge?

If I were after your money, I would suggest my Yamaha Attitude Custom - piezo, Precision and mudbucker pickups. 

Speaking of Yamaha, whatever happened to your refinished hardboard project?
    The Lindy Fralin split coil was on my list I have to admit.. a piezo bridge might work, but I have that on the Ibanez, and I’m not sure it’s the piezo sound I’m after - if I was mad I’d buy a Harmony H22 - I’m looking for that hollow thud, and I’m hoping the above body might get me some way there. 

Not seen an attitude custom before. Will have a look on t’internet.

As for the project - turns out I learned the hard way that power tools and balsa don’t mix. We live and learn 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Bridgehouse said:

Gibson did, in 1970 - Felix Pappalardi had one, not an original. A friend of mine has one too. Splitting hairs? :)

There's an Epiphone one as well, although from what I understand it's pretty rare...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3690/11123162444_14b792608f_b.jpg

I think it even came with the cello pin - the rear strap button doesn't look normal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Gibson did, in 1970 - Felix Pappalardi had one, not an original. A friend of mine has one too. Splitting hairs? :)

There's an Epiphone one as well, although from what I understand it's pretty rare...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3690/11123162444_14b792608f_b.jpg

I think it even came with the cello pin - the rear strap button doesn't look normal.
    True - I forgot about the reissue - but the only one I’ve seen listed is £4.5k  - for a 70s Gibson bass... yeah, right...