I’m going to build a Tele

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    I’d rather not use Silver chaps. Too much silver with the bigsby too.

Now what I do have to consider as well is the neck. I’m going to be going for a 9.5” straight neck or a 7.25 to 9.5” compound radius with a C neck although I’m lead to believe that late 60s teles had thinner C profiles... I could be a victim of reading nonsense on the internet of course ;)

Im also a sucker for rosewood but maple is still on the table. I’m genuinely open to either this early on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    SFG, rosewood, Esquire.
    You know it makes sense.
    tFB Trader
    SFG, rosewood, Esquire.
    You know it makes sense.
    My mouth is watering. And that’s interesting.. I’d love an Esquire but I went a year only using a bridge P90 and I’d quite like to experience a tele neck pickup into the Lonestar.

Im not ruling it out though ;)
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    Lovely project.  I vote blonde and will be following with interest!  Hoping to do a (non-bigsby) blonde build myself at some point.
    tFB Trader
    Lovely project.  I vote blonde and will be following with interest!  Hoping to do a (non-bigsby) blonde build myself at some point.
    The blonde is still a contender but I may side with you on that and leave it for a non bigsby build. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited May 2018
    @lonestar ;;
    Now, I will say this... while this is going to be full fat I will be omitting some details. It’s not that I don’t like you but I’m not disclosing details that will affect my business. Tbh, you may not even notice that anything is amiss.

Will you be sharing any relicing techniques?  Thats what I hope to see, otherwise its just another Tele partscater build, nothing wrong with that, but it would be nice to see how its done....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    @lonestar ;;
    Now, I will say this... while this is going to be full fat I will be omitting some details. It’s not that I don’t like you but I’m not disclosing details that will affect my business. Tbh, you may not even notice that anything is amiss.

Will you be sharing any relicing techniques?  Thats what I hope to see, otherwise its just another Tele partscater build, nothing wrong with that, but it would be nice to see how its done....
    Tbh, not many of them. I have my own ways as does everyone who does this stuff. There are plenty of videos on YouTube and write ups about it on google. The difference between me and the next guy doing a build thread here is this pays my mortgage. Interesting to note that you wouldn’t get an answer out of fender either ;)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    lonestar said:
    paulnb57 said:
    @lonestar ;;

Tbh, not many of them. I have my own ways as does everyone who does this stuff. There are plenty of videos on YouTube and write ups about it on google. The difference between me and the next guy doing a build thread here is this pays my mortgage. Interesting to note that you wouldn’t get an answer out of fender either ;)

I guess that makes me one of the next guys ;)

There is a fine balance to this kind of thing - somebody like Gil Yaron would be a lot less well known if it wasn't for 100+ page threads detailing every last aspect of his builds.    

look at it another way - you are able to pay your mortgage doing something you love because other people shared a lot of knowledge online.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    WezV said:
    look at it another way - you are able to pay your mortgage doing something you love because other people shared a lot of knowledge online.

Harsh, but fair.. ;)
    Its not meant harsh, I have a lot of time for Scott.  I understand if he wants to keep some things to himself... just doesn't need to tell us all that. 
    edited May 2018 tFB Trader
    I had a massive screed of text typed... I deleted the lot. 

In short, I’ll be showing plenty but I’ll also be omitting the parts I didn’t read/view online. These are techniques that work for me, maybe they won’t work for the next guy but when it takes time and money to develop a style and technique I don’t think it’s disrespectful to hold back some info. 

Perhaps its irrelevant anyway unless you have access to a dedicated work space with a few grands worth of tools and materials.
    Fair enough.   Maybe I am just being grumpy tonight

I understand the point about being hesitant to share techniques that don't work for all.   I have had that with a few of the things i have shared detailed processes for, but you cant take responsibility for that.

You could share every single bloody detail, it still doesn't give people the skill to actually pull it off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Fair enough.   Maybe I am just being grumpy tonight

I understand the point about being hesitant to share techniques that don't work for all.   I have had that with a few of the things i have shared detailed processes for, but you cant take responsibility for that.

You could share every single bloody detail, it still doesn't give people the skill to actually pull it off.
    Absolutely, that’s what I was kind of gearing towards but I didn’t want to say it for fear of being narcissistic on my own thread. I could share everything, but it doesn’t mean that the people who read it and see the pics will be able to do it. Well, not without ruining a few bodies in the process ;)

I will share a lot and I’m happy to add some depth to the thread. There will be before and after pics of the work as I progress but I will omit a few details here and there. 

I won’t actually be doing a heavily aged piece anyway, if I’m honest. But it will show that this process is long, hard, fun, annoying, tedious, satisfying and amazing all at the same time. And I love it for that :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    Unless its with a screwdriver and soldering iron, I for one am firmly in the wouldn't be able to do it camp, but I find these builds and the procedures and thought processes behind them fascinating reads.
    tFB Trader
    Thoughts update... well, not really. I’m not any further forward with my initial thoughts regarding the type of wood I want the body to be made from. After finishing this for a customer...

https://i.imgur.com/QbVxFer.jpg

.... I’m possibly keeping ash on the table if it’ll end up looking like this. 

I think if I got alder then I’m going for sea foam green. 
    tFB Trader
    I’ve managed to sort a body from a fellow FretBoarder who had a rather good deal advertised. It would have been rude not to take his hand off tbh!

So, en route is a 4lb 4oz hunk of alder cut to vintage 50s spec complete with the router hump.

If I proceed with this body it’s looking like it’ll be a solid colour (although the grain is quite pretty for alder) and out front by quite some stretch is aged sea foam green. With that in mind, I’d rather use a rosewood neck and save my maple neck ideas for the blonde I intend to build later.

https://i.imgur.com/CEbqw7v.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/t07EDcN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/V0ECKdO.jpg