Sonoran mini

margotmargot Frets: 0
Hi I'm learning to play acoustic but I am finding that my guitar is causing some acing in my fretting shoulder, I am also finding that it feels a little big ( standard dreadnought) so I am looking at getting a Sonoran mini. I tried out my neighbours sons 3/4 guitar and it felt much easier on my shoulder as I was not stretching as much. I found the mini and think it may be a good option for me as a begginer.
thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    edited May 2018
    Working out what causes particular aches and pains can be difficult to diagnose. It could be related to posture or specific aspects of the guitar: action, scale length, body size,etc.

I notice that the scale length (string length) of the Sonoran is 25.3 inches this is pretty  'standard'. You might want to look at guitars with a shorter scale length.
    If you find a dred body type too large there are many other options out there. Parlour, 00 and 000 size. There are 'small' dreds available from various manufacturers. 

I don't know anything about the Sonoran but I would suggest that there are better guitars available, especially if you can put an extra £100 on top of the Sonoran price Yamaha, Sigma, Cort, etc. 
    Try out as many as you can to see what suits you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    Kilgore said:

I notice that the scale length (string length) of the Sonoran is 25.3 inches this is pretty  'standard'. You might want to look at guitars with a shorter scale length.
    No, it's 23.3" - 592mm.

It's a nice enough guitar for the money and the size, but it will never sound like a full-size guitar - even a traditional 'parlour' size - as long as you accept that and want something small and comfortable to play it should be fine. There are other options in that size/budget range too, Tanglewood do one which is quite nice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    ICBM said:
    Kilgore said:

No, it's 23.3" - 592mm.

It's a nice enough guitar for the money and the size, but it will never sound like a full-size guitar - even a traditional 'parlour' size - as long as you accept that and want something small and comfortable to play it should be fine. There are other options in that size/budget range too, Tanglewood do one which is quite nice.
    I thought it didn't make sense 3/4 size and 25.3. Someone should let Fender know, they've put 25.3 on the website.
  • margotmargot Frets: 0
    Thanks I no it is not going to sound as loud as a standard guitar because of its size. But as a begginer I only want to learn and as I'm having a problem with my shoulder I thought it would be OK until I get better at it.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    Posture and playing position isn't usually something you can get right by yourself when you're just starting out. If you're taking lessons with a teacher, ask them to get involved and help you before changing guitar. If you don't have a teacher, maybe you should, at least until you've sorted out basics like posture, how the guitar sits and what your left and right hands should be doing. 

When I was starting out I had a teacher, and they helped me choose the right guitar by coming to the shop with me. 
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1645
    FWIW.. I own a Yamaha JR2 which is a 3/4 sized acoustic..  holds it own with the other acoustics amongst the students I teach.. including Baby Taylors...

I have never been keen on acoustic guitars due to the bulky size, so it was a revelation to find something manageable.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?