Bass for acoustic oriented gigs?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Linky no worky @mr-mac but I know what you are talking about.. rare.. but nice all the same ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Fixed
    edited May 2018
    They are just into med scale but really nice instruments to play and sound brill for acoustic stuff.  For louder stuff it needs centre stuffed with towel at mimimum but even then still sounds same playing.

i also love that the neck pickup gives a proper normal deep bass sound you'd expect from an electric bass bit the neck gives a more delicate (not bright but lacking the deepness of lowest freqs with some higher components added) which can work really well with an acoustic mix.  Add the bridge damper and its very flexible for what your after 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    mr-mac said:
    Has a great tone out of box
    Finally, a stringed instrument that could legitimately be referred to as her/she.

mr-mac said:
    a bridge camper unit
    Bona.

mr-mac said:
    flick between normal and a damped sound that sounds much more like a double bass.
    I am yet to see a guitar/bass bridge string damper system that does not interfere with the intonation. Before ICBM mentions Rickenbacker, even thumbwheel adjusted individual string mutes are problematic when more than lightly engaged.
    Be seeing you.
    edited May 2018
    Nice huh? I can't comment on damper as the band jams aira diamond pro is missing its damper bit (but then got it so cheap it was a sin), got lost in venue move after we just got it so only heard it once, but seemed effective though didn't get long enough to know if intonation is effected.  I can't see how it would be any worse than a well executed palm mute by design but maybe you can find some reviews or vids that may help see if any use.

Would even work well with an archtop floating bridge style piezo or piezo and mic mixing system to get a good acoustic and woody tone.  Something from K&K would sound immense i reckon. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    Funkfingers said:

I am yet to see a guitar/bass bridge string damper system that does not interfere with the intonation. Before ICBM mentions Rickenbacker, even thumbwheel adjusted individual string mutes are problematic when more than lightly engaged.
    No, I'm not going to mention it because it does. I never use mine.

Apparently you can fit a Jazz bass pickup in the space for it, although quite why you'd want to I'm not sure - there can't be enough string movement there to produce a useful output, I wouldn't have thought.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson