Line 6 powercab

What's Hot

Comments

• Pete_Anderson6Pete_Anderson6 Frets: 0
    edited May 2018
    Hi there - new to here but interested in the discussion.  I play guitar and keyboards in a covers band and for last couple of years have been gigging with a JTV Variax through Helix into a Stagesource L3T with keyboards going through the side mixing amp.  Has worked well until recently when both inputs on the side amp starting suffering complete volume loss on a seemingly random basis - so not ideal for live performance!  For last few gigs have simply put the keyboard through the main line input on the back while still using the L6 digital link for the Helix.  Works OK but have less flexibility of control over the relative volume of guitar and keyboards.  Had considered sending it back for out of warranty repair but that looks as though it could come at considerable expense because for a start the Stagesource weighs a ton.  Therefore thinking of cutting my losses and going for the Powercab plus as a lighter alternative.  Only question mark is how well the keyboard will sound going through it.  Oh and also not sure how big a difference using the speaker modelling on the amp will make rather than that already programmed in on the Helix.  GAK will not have stock in the UK until end of May so if anyone has had a chance to try one would be happy to hear thoughts in the meantime.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    It should work for you but I think you’ll need the ‘plus’ for the extra input for your keys. I’m taking delivery of mine on Tuesday so I’ll try and put a review up.

I noticed guitarguitar had these in stock yesterday if you’re in a hurry for one.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Have you had that delivery slot confirmed by GAK @matt1973 ? When I checked with them a week or so ago I was second on the list... ergo I should be receiving mine then too.
    GAK have stock of the standard Powercab for £517...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited May 2018
    Got one yesterday from guitarguitar (they matched GAK's price).
    It's actually quite good, and bigger than I thought it would be. The 6 baked speaker simulations were nice.

Still, I'm so happy with the sound I'm getting from my super compact digital setup: Atomic amplifire 6, H9 and QSC K8.2 that I'll be returning it.

But great piece of kit if you're in the mkt for an FRFR
    simonk said:
    Have you had that delivery slot confirmed by GAK @matt1973 ? When I checked with them a week or so ago I was second on the list... ergo I should be receiving mine then too.
    Yeah I had it confirmed by Jimmy F via email when I paid the balance on Friday.
    matt1973 said:
    simonk said:
    Sweet! Looking forward to it.
    matt1973 said:
    simonk said:
    Sweet! Looking forward to it.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    Something like this could convince me to go back to the Helix. I loved the pedal but wanted an amp-in-the-room sound from a simple setup, not a mic’d up tone!

What’s the chances of a lower wattage/switchable power rating version coming out for us mere bedroom players do we think?
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    Ill tack one down to try, but If Im honest Im not sure Ill get one.  The weight might be a deciding factor mind.

Reasons?

I never liked irs / frfr for live use - but for that I have a Zilla 2x12 and a Fryette Power station (after long using Matrix Power amps).  At home I still use that, but also go into a mixer then a pair of Adam AX5s and Sub.  Im struggling to see what this might bring (apart from the weight) that I dont have.  

Sure switching between speaker types could  be nice - but I always prefer the sound and spread of a 2x12 over a 1x12 which might no help the L6s cause in my case.

Still - the Power station isnt light, and my 2x12 isnt either so never say never.....

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Has anyone been able to compare one to a DXR10 ? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Has anyone been able to compare one to a DXR10 ? 
    Mine is inbound at some point today, so when I have it in my grubby mitts I shall be doing just that.
    Cool
    Red ones are better. 
    Powercab Plus is in the house! I’ve had a brief few minutes with it and I think we’re going to be friends. I haven’t fiddled about with any settings, just switched it on (it defaults to flat mode) and tried a couple of my gigging patches though it. And it sounds, well, good! Does it sound massively different to the QSC K8.2 or DXR10 I usually use at gigs? Hmm, hard to say at this stage. My immediate concern with it was the apparent lack of volume on tap... I ended up with the Powercab dimed and Helix around half way up: it was loud, but gig loud? I’m not so sure... It’s not a massive concern for me as I have no intention of gigging it, and its plenty loud enough for studio/home use. I’ll delve into it a bit more when I have some surplus time.
    I default to Helix output up full - not sure why you'd do anything else when trying to get loud - plus it's the easiest setting to replicate consistently ! Do the turning down where there are numbers to see 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    I default to Helix output up full - not sure why you'd do anything else when trying to get loud - plus it's the easiest setting to replicate consistently ! Do the turning down where there are numbers to see 
    To clarify, I was feeding the Powercab from the monitor out which is linked to the Helix volume knob. FOH gets the full beans from the XLR outs... I like to have control over my own monitor volume hence the volume knob only affecting the monitor out.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited May 2018
    TimmyO said:
    I use the volume knob to control my stage (pub floor) level and default the main outs to be 0db.  If the knob is only half-way there should be a lot more left
    Well mine came today and I’ve managed to spend about an hour on it.

So, first thing I did was set it Flat and call up my main preset that I use through my DXR10. Oh dear, what a sinking feeling. However, as it turns out, that just goes to show that even in the world of FRFR all things are not created equal.

I went on disabled the Helix IR and used the Powercabs on board speaker sims. Loved the Greenback. Spent some time tweaking my patch to suit the Powercab and really enjoyed the resulting tones. There’s certainly an amp-like thump to thing that you don’t really get with conventional PA gear. I’m not sure you quite get the complexity in the high end that you get from certain tube amps but it is a definite step toward the ‘amp in room’ goal so many modelling advocates crave.

Pretty certain I’ll be keeping it.
  • I use Helix into my amp with a second feed going through a Soldano clean amp model into a v30 IR to front of house. I also have a FlyrRigas back up.

Is this going to be a no brained for me to

a) play in stereo
    b) have a back up/secondary solution with the FlyRig?
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Frets: 74
    Picked up my Powercab on Monday and have been spending much time with it and my Helix, just A/B-ing with my DXR10. I think it sounds perfectly fine and will do a job for lots of people who need the versatility of a traditional amp set-up, and the flexibility to go FRFR when needed. Nice unit and looks good too. I did go a bit ear-blind comparing the various speaker sims, and kept finding myself going back to the setting with none of them enabled so you just get the in-built speaker on its own!
    However, I don't know if it's because I've invested so much time this last year in fine-tuning my sounds into the DXR10 (and also embracing the whole FRFR/Direct to PA thing) but I came to the conclusion I actually prefer what I've already got. The DXR10 does seem to have loads more volume on tap too.

So the Powercab will be going back tomorrow unfortunately. If i have any gigs where the 'amp-in-the-room' sound is better suited, then I've already got a tried and tested HRD for that and the Helix can just be used as a pedalboard.

I really wanted to like the Powercab more, and if I hadn't already invested in a quality speaker I'm sure I would have kept it. But it's nice to know that sometimes you prefer the gear you've already spent so much time with....my Visa card statement agrees too!