Help with Jazz bass wiring - broken pot.

JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
Hi all
Looking to repair a broken potentiometer on a Jazz bass (Japan copy) for my mate.
Not even sure if it's a volume or tone pot. - need to check this with an amp to test.
If I send a picture of the wiring, please could anyone give me any pointers and 
recommend a supplier/shop for a new pot and control knob?
thanks for this help.
pics to follow...
Jon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited May 2018
    Fire away.

In the conventional Jazz Bass control plate, you will be looking at Neck PU Volume, Bridge PU Volume, Master Tone, output jack socket.

If the instrument has been customised, you may have Volume, Balance, EQ, jack.
    Be seeing you.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Thanks-- lunchtime pics planned
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited May 2018
    In the basic passive circuit, one size of pot (audio taper 250k) fits all three applications.

Speaking of sizes, if the original Japanese pots are the small Metric type, *proper* CTS-inspired types might not fit through the steel control plate without modification. 
    Be seeing you.
    Yes - defo passive circuit and was told that all three are the same type when I bought a standard USA pot yesterday from a guitar shop.  I do need a control knob and will check sizing later.  Pot. was £6.99 which seems pricey, but it is USA one.
    Thanks all 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    JonHosker said:
    Yes - defo passive circuit and was told that all three are the same type when I bought a standard USA pot yesterday from a guitar shop.  I do need a control knob and will check sizing later.  Pot. was £6.99 which seems pricey, but it is USA one.
    Thanks all 
    As Funkfingers said, it probably wont fit through the hole in a Japanese plate. The existing knob won't fit either, and may be a different type - US Jazz Basses use a plain shaft pot with a larger grub-screw knob, Japanese ones use a smaller split-shaft pot usually.

You may be better with a far-east-made pot (eg Alpha) if you don't want this to rapidly become more hassle than it's really worth. Check the shaft type before you buy anything...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Thanks for the help so far...bought a CTS pot which is too big,
    Image here shows the new pot and the old 'broken' one still wired up.
    Anyone send me a link for the smaller pot and control knob that will fit?
    thanks for the help!
    Jon
    photos coming... 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Probably these, but check what the others are like first...

Both from the same seller which makes things slightly easier.

http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/250k-split-shaft-alpha-potentiometer-audio-taper-or-linear-volume-tone-for-electric-guitar/

(Select audio taper, 7mm.)

http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/set-of-3-2-large-1-small-volume-tone-knobs-for-fender-jazz-bass-guitar/

It seems to be hard to buy the Japanese-type knobs individually.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

thanks -- these look the right ones.
    all the best
    Jon
    All fixed... happy and job done!
    Ta for advice frim you fine fellers