Focusrite is Focuswrong for me - can't connect

What's Hot
Hi all

I have just bought a Focusrite 6i6 2nd gen.

But I can rarely get it to connect to my mac. Sometimes it does, but most of the time it doesn't.

I've checked in my Mac's system report and it seems to be recognised as a USB connection there, but my DAWs don't see it, and the Focusrite Control app says no hardware connected.

https://cl.ly/343x1w1Z1t0C

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Jon

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Have you contacted Focusrite support?  They've been helpful for me in the past.
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Have you contacted Focusrite support?  They've been helpful for me in the past.
    Yes, but not heard back yet. Took a day off work to do some recording and can’t connect so hoping someone might have an idea on here before Focusrite reply! It has worked occasionally, which kind of makes it more confusing. 

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    The only thing I can think of is I remember needing to run class compliant with my old scarlett 18i20 interface.  I'm not especially computer savvy so I'd recommend doing my research and not taking my word for it but here's one of their articles where it references it.

Besides that I'd just try re-installing latest drivers, and trying a different USB cable.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115002523165-Are-Focusrite-USB-interfaces-Plug-and-Play-on-Mac-
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited May 2018
    ijonty said:
    Is that as in literally just bought the unit today? Have you registered it with Focusrite yet?

Even though the product is brand new, straight out of the box, revisions to Apple OSX will have almost certainly occurred since the interface box was manufactured. Hopefully, Focusrite has written some corresponding revisions to their driver software.

ijonty said:
    it seems to be recognised as a USB connection ... but my DAWs don't see it
    Check in the DAW's preference settings. (In the same place where you set the monitoring and latency options.) You may have to select the new interface from a list of all of the makes/models that have ever been used with your computer.
    Be seeing you.
    Great, thanks @guitarfishbay  I think I checked the drivers but will do so again, ta

ijonty said:
    Is that as in literally just bought the unit today? Have you registered it with Focusrite yet?

Even though the product is brand new, straight out of the box, revisions to Apple OSX will have almost certainly occurred since the interface box was manufactured. Hopefully, Focusrite has written some corresponding revisions to their driver software.
    Bought and registered a month or so ago. Does that mean I need to do more than just install latest drivers?

By the way, is that screenshot I put in the post relevant? Does that suggest the cables are working because it’s showing up as a connection?

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Is the firmware up-to-date? There have been a few revisions since that one was released. If it's older inventory from wherever you got it it might have older firmware.
    Whitecat said:
    Is the firmware up-to-date? There have been a few revisions since that one was released. If it's older inventory from wherever you got it it might have older firmware.
    How do I update firmware? Is that different to drivers? Sorry, not very knowledgeable!

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9447
    Go into this link mate, and update;

https://global.focusrite.com/downloads
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Have you downloaded asio4all? 
    Go into this link mate, and update;

https://global.focusrite.com/downloads
    Think I've done that. The only thing it gives me to download is 'Focusrite Control'.  See image:

https://cl.ly/3t0B0T1t0N2x

No, is that something I need? Don't know what it is!

Also, one other thing: The usb light is lit up on the front of the Focusrite, so I'm presuming that means the cable is connecting ok?

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    Can you use ASIO on a Mac? I thought it was something you used on Windows for low latency recording because standard Windows wasn't very good for that. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited May 2018
    What version of Mac OSX are you using?
    What DAW are you using and what version?

ASIO is a PC thing, not a Mac thing.
    The Mac audio driver subsystem is called Core Audio.

The way it usually works with Focusrite is you download the latest version of Focusrite Control if you are on a recent version of OSX.
    Then that can trigger a firmware update within Focusrite Control to be applied to the device.

You can call Focusrite support- they mostly pick up the phone on the first ring.
    octatonic said:

I'm using El Capitan, version 10.11.6. As mentioned above, the usb light is lit on the unit, so I'm presuming that means the cables are working?

ijonty said:
    octatonic said:

I'm using El Capitan, version 10.11.6. As mentioned above, the usb light is lit on the unit, so I'm presuming that means the cables are working?
    That might be the issue- El Cap is 3 years old.
    Let me check.
    OK, it isn't that.
    El Cap is supported.

What DAW?
    octatonic said:
    OK, it isn't that.
    El Cap is supported.

What DAW?
    So far tried Reaper and Garageband. But regardless of those, when I launch Focusrite Control it says 'no hardware connected' either. Or would it not connect until a DAW was engaged too?