faith acoustics and similar guitars....buying advice price point about £500 s/h

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 182
edited May 2018 in Acoustics
Just doing some gigs and flogging some gear to buy a decent acoustic as I'm slowly putting together an acoustic set.

It will be fingerstyle (cos my singing is bad) - a mix of folk, jazz, classical etc.  I tried a Faith trembisi/mahogony with a cutaway (selling for about £850) which was lovely (it was the first good guitar i tried!!) and almost liquid sounding.

As it's more than I'll have to spend, do we have any suggestion for an electro-acoustic for about £500 s/h that I can start gassing over.   Not dreadnaught size but something that will project but isn't so mahoosive that it's difficult to play fingerstyle

ta v much
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Is there any chance of finding a pre-owned example of the same model that you liked in the shop?

nickp said:
    which was lovely and almost liquid sounding.
    Solid top, back and sides may have something to do with that. At lower price points, some of the less critical parts will probably be laminates. Not fatal but, once you have heard something better, it is hard to go back.
    Be seeing you.
  • interstellarinterstellar Frets: 486
    Selling this for a friend   these are very good guitars not that well known but certainly worth checking out or indeed buying:)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/131656/walden-cg-2010-grand-auditorium-in-excellent-condition-for-sale-515-inc-delivery
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    nickp said:
     suggestion for an electro-acoustic for about £500 s/h that I can start gassing over.   Not dreadnaught size but something that will project but isn't so mahoosive that it's difficult to play fingerstyle

ta v much
    Epiphone Masterbilt Century series archtop is worth looking at, especially the two smaller-bodied ones - I got the middle one "Zenith", the smallest is the "Olympic". I found it great for fingerstyle, and it certainly projects (that's what archtops do apparently). Comes with a built-in "eSonic™ HD (High Definition) preamp system and Shadow NanoFlex™ HD Under-saddle pickup", should you need to record or amplify it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I've got the Faith Neptune Trembesi and it is, as you say, a brilliant guitar. Sorry I'm not selling it but hope you find what you're after
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3488
    nickp said:
    Just doing some gigs and flogging some gear to buy a decent acoustic as I'm slowly putting together an acoustic set.

It will be fingerstyle (cos my singing is bad) - a mix of folk, jazz, classical etc.  I tried a Faith trembisi/mahogony with a cutaway (selling for about £850) which was lovely (it was the first good guitar i tried!!) and almost liquid sounding.

As it's more than I'll have to spend, do we have any suggestion for an electro-acoustic for about £500 s/h that I can start gassing over.   Not dreadnaught size but something that will project but isn't so mahoosive that it's difficult to play fingerstyle

ta v much
    Why don't you just go for another Faith guitar, eg a Naked Series eg this https://www.faithguitars.com/guitars/by-series/naked-series/product/125-fkv-venus-concert-cutaway-electro

Which is just over £500
  • nickpnickp Frets: 182
    nickp said:

ta v much
    Why don't you just go for another Faith guitar, eg a Naked Series eg this https://www.faithguitars.com/guitars/by-series/naked-series/product/125-fkv-venus-concert-cutaway-electro

Which is just over £500
    the difference between the cheaper and the more expensive was significant to my (undersized) ears :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Is the cutaway essential? I ask because most of the jazz stuff I play is perfectly accessible with a 14 fret to the body acoustic.
    If you can do without the cutaway you'll have more choice in the market and probably a better balanced, better sounding guitar.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    I agree about he cutaway, my Faith Venus has a stupidly pointed heel, which prevents me from getting up into the cutaway anyway. 

Other than that it's a good gigging guitar.  
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    p90fool said:
    I agree about he cutaway, my Faith Venus has a stupidly pointed heel, which prevents me from getting up into the cutaway anyway. 

Other than that it's a good gigging guitar.  
    having gone from a faith venus to a martin with a 14th fret board I feel the opposite. 
    I found the Faith easier to get higher up the neck.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Bought  Faith Trembesi for my God-son (when they were £550-£650 new !!!) - it's bloody lovely ! :)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    My brother in law has the faith venus naked guitar, I've spent some time playing it I like it a lot. My freshman is better mind ;)
    that's a good point about the cut away but I couldn't hear a huge difference in tone between a full and cutaway and it seems sensible if getting a guitar to go for the one with the better fret access up top, just in case.  Anyway the next part of the plan is (as always) sell a pedal or two and do a couple more gigs to release the cash :)
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    nickp said:
    that's a good point about the cut away but I couldn't hear a huge difference in tone between a full and cutaway and it seems sensible if getting a guitar to go for the one with the better fret access up top, just in case.  Anyway the next part of the plan is (as always) sell a pedal or two and do a couple more gigs to release the cash :)
    If you are going to add a bit more cash to the pot then you may pick up a used Taylor 314ce for around the same money as the new Faith. Also, Yamaha AC series acoustics go for peanuts on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-AC3R-Electro-Acoustic-Concert-Size-Cutaway-Guitar/142763441360?hash=item213d5d3cd0:g:4-cAAOSwQFJatQIt

nickp said:
    If you are going to add a bit more cash to the pot then you may pick up a used Taylor 314ce for around the same money as the new Faith. Also, Yamaha AC series acoustics go for peanuts on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-AC3R-Electro-Acoustic-Concert-Size-Cutaway-Guitar/142763441360?hash=item213d5d3cd0:g:4-cAAOSwQFJatQIt

you eat expensive peanuts :)

•  Waldens can be great... the  %70 series and above have delicious tones