Focusrite is Focuswrong for me - can't connect

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    You don't need to have the DAW running for it to work.
    Does it show up as a device in Audio Midi setup?

Right, well if I was working for Focusrite tech support I would get you to connect first to a different USB port, then use a different cable and then finally to a different computer.
    If it doesn't work in all three instances then it is DOA and you can insist in a replacement if you are buying new.

If it works on another computer then you have a Mac OSX issue.
    You can start swapping out system files or, if you want a quicker resolution, just reinstall Mac OSX.

Why are you still on El Capitan?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32

octatonic said:

No, doesn't show up in there. I don't have anything connected to the midi in the Focusrite though, if that matters?

It ALWAYS shows up as Hardware in About this Mac>System Report

octatonic said:

Right, well if I was working for Focusrite tech support I would get you to connect first to a different USB port, then use a different cable and then finally to a different computer.
    If it doesn't work in all three instances then it is DOA and you can insist in a replacement if you are buying new.

The thing is, it has worked. When I first plugged it in, it worked immediately. And recently it's worked about 20 per cent of the time. At the moment I'm getting nothing though.

octatonic said:

Just never got round to upgrading. Would that help?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    ijonty said:

octatonic said:

No, doesn't show up in there. I don't have anything connected to the midi in the Focusrite though, if that matters?

It ALWAYS shows up as Hardware in About this Mac>System Report

octatonic said:

The thing is, it has worked. When I first plugged it in, it worked immediately. And recently it's worked about 20 per cent of the time. At the moment I'm getting nothing though.

octatonic said:

Just never got round to upgrading. Would that help?
    If that installation of OSX is 2-3+ years old then you would be advised to rebuild it from scratch.
    Backup the data, format the drive and reinstall the operating system and all apps, then restore the data.

If it still doesn't work you either have a hardware problem with the Mac, or there is a problem with the Focusrite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    octatonic said:
    If that installation of OSX is 2-3+ years old, ...
    ... it is possible that the Focusrite driver software is too recent for something in the computer.

OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan was current between September 2015 and September 2016. The Focusrite OS Compatibility Guide says that the OP's combination of gear should work. 

A couple of revisions ago, OSX went completely over to 64-bit. Earlier 32-bit audio applications are often ignored.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.