Schematics. How to read

What's Hot
OK so I can understand vero tag boards etc.

I understand what some of the symbols mean on schematics. But how do you read them and then make a vero?  

Can anyone walk me through something basic. A sho or fuzzface. Show me how to read and understand how to lay out a vero

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356

Well your using the copper strips as wires connecting one thing to another ... once the strips done that in an area you cut the strip at that point so the remaining strip the other side of the cut can be used as another connecting wire etc

Laying out veroboard circuits takes a bit of experience, you tend to get better at it the more you do it. For any given simple audio analog  circuit there could be at least 10 different ways of transposing a sensible layout to vero so there's no hard and fast rules .... just some things are common sense 

Any circuit with have more connections to ground than anything else so at least one vero strip across the board should be devoted to ground or sometimes one in the middle as well. My bottom rail is always ground

Layout your circuit so input starts on left of board and output on the right

Positive rail at the top will make sense from see'ing schemetic to vero translation 

As ever draw things out on paper first and consider the spacing of vertical caps as well as the obvious non bendable stuff like opamps 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    This is a question I have struggled with, and haven't managed anything so far. However, tagboardeffects is your friend here, and their handy walkthrough of a simple circuit. Here is a link for you -

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/vero-layout-guide.html

Something I have had a go at doing with a very simple circuit (Catalinbread Naga Viper) is to reverse engineer the vero layout. In other words, take the vero layout and convert it back into a schematic. This way you can get a feel for what goes where, and the order in which components are placed. I haven't tried with anything more complex yet, but the Red Llama seems a good shout as there is a wealth of analysis regarding it, not least of which is the Anderton book from which it is based. The Electra circuit is another one that you will find a good deal about.

Good luck, 
    Adam
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 882
    Yeah I can understand the vero. Though don' know what each section is for. I here that an audioprobe helps with that.  I just want to add eq to things like the fuzz pedals etc. Or maybe add a octave up on a second switch etc. Also would like to be able to make a layout to have pcb made once I have something I like

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

I have the wampler ebook on modifying not the one on easy first steps can't find that one.

• AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
    Ask Jack ;)
    Jack ?

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I use the free DIY Layout Creator applet to do my vero layouts. It's ridiculously easy to learn. It has to be if I can use it! That's what the guys at tagboardeffects use.

The great thing about DIYLC is that it's really easy to move things around, certainly much easier than with pen and paper.

I would maybe try recreating something simple like one of the many SHO or LPB-1 layouts, and once you've mastered dragging and dropping the various components and got to grips with the options, try doing one from scratch.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks that is great advice

• AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
    Jack ?
    Jack Bauer on the TV show 24. The answer for every problem was to examine the schematics for the building the baddy was hiding out in.