Long Pot Shaft with bolt vs. Correct Size Shaft

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
edited May 2018 in Making & Modding
I have spare pots but they're long length so to fit in my guitar they have to have a bottom nut set about half way up the shaft.

Might seem a bit of a trivial question, but is there any way that bottom nut could work loose and the pot be more likely to turn loose than if I used the medium-length pots that would fit properly?

Edit: had used the word "bolt" when really I meant "nut" so fixed this.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    If you have a lock washer as well it should be OK. If you're really concerned you could put on another nut tightened hard against the other. Axesrus sell them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    What about some superglue on the inside nut? Or is there little chance the nut will budge anyway as long as the locking washer is between that and the woodwork?

P.S. I mixed up nuts and bolts in my original post, going to change that now. Always seem to mix those two up!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Threadlock or a second lock nut will ensure it never moves, but I have never had trouble with just a single nut as long as there's also a shakeproof washer on the inside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    Threadlock or a second lock nut will ensure it never moves, but I have never had trouble with just a single nut as long as there's also a shakeproof washer on the inside.
    Is threadlock significantly different to superglue and superglue won't work I take it?

Think I might just go ahead with the single nut without any glue and re-think it if anything bad does happen.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Superglue is fine if you don’t have threadlock. Just make sure you get the nut in the right place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson