Another mixing/production challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    ChrisRG said:
    OK, noob questions alert...... I imported all the tracks into Studio One and then kind of didn't know where to start.  Are there any "standard" or "best practice" approaches to the basics?  I know it's not an exact science but if anyone would share their approach that would be awesome.

I've played around with EQ, cutting freq to see if it helps separate the tracks a bit.  Came across this which looks quite useful,
    http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

With the left and right guitars, I just panned them accordingly.

@poopot how did you know to remove stuff at 500hz?  Experience or analysis?

Thanks in advance.

Dude...Im jüst doing this is S1 now !...Oddly I started with the vocal....try the Fat channel a few things...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    After the last remix I decided to respect this song.  I made the bass a bit heavier and a bit of compression, EQ and reverb to the drums and vocals.

Oh, and I removed all the original guitar (sorry @poopot) and replaced it with something different. There are now 7 songs instead of just the one. A point for the first person to name them all. 

Listen to Se7en Chicken Army by TheFlyingPie #np on #SoundCloud
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    @flying_pie  this is driving me nuts!!!!!
    Ive got:
    aint talking about love,
    raining blood
    and
    backstreet boys!!!!!

if the drummer hears this he’ll have us doing a 20 minute party mashup!!!!! ;)
    edited May 2018
    Sounds like I'd get on well with your drummer. I love mashups.

I didn't play Ain't Talking About Love 

The other two are correct.

This might be tricky as it was a one evening project and it assumes I've played stuff correctly enough to be recognised. 
    Sounds like I'd get on well with your drummer. I love mashups.

I didn't play Ain't Talking About Love 

Yep, my bad... first riff is similar tho’
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    poopot said:
    if the drummer hears this, he’ll have us doing a 20 minute party mashup!!!!!
    Talking Heads' Psycho Killer would fit.

poopot said:
    We originally recorded just the drums with bass and a guide vocal in his ears along with a click track.
    a quick render with a click attached.

it should be bang on 120bpm
    Thank you for including this. I finally got around to listening to it. Very revealing. ;)

I was reminded of a comment made by Neil Peart in one of his DVDs (probably Taking Center Stage). Some sections of the Rush 2010/11 Time Machine Tour required the synchronisation of MIDI sequencers, video animation and the live drumming. Peart was required to play to a click, blended into his in-ear monitor mix. If the click that represented the one was not masked by the kick drum, Peart knew that he was out of synch.

The Chicken Thieves drummer seems to land the one in reaction to the click guide rather than absolutely right on it.

Be seeing you.
    poopot said:
    Talking Heads' Psycho Killer would fit

I hadn't considered that. Pretty much any funk in E riff would work. I decided to go more for Alternative/Pop to make it different from @poopot 's original funky guitar track.

Superstition / Play that funky music would probably fit. As might Always On The Run by Lenny Kravitz. 

Hmmm.... Sounds like we could put our brains together and come up with 17 Nation Army :)
    poopot said:
    Talking Heads' Psycho Killer would fit

I hadn't considered that. Pretty much any funk in E riff would work. I decided to go more for Alternative/Pop to make it different from @poopot 's original funky guitar track.

Superstition / Play that funky music would probably fit. As might Always On The Run by Lenny Kravitz. 

Hmmm.... Sounds like we could put our brains together and come up with 17 Nation Army :)
    Already said “ain’t talking about love” could prolly shoehorn “beat it” in there!. “Good times” by chic?

The Chicken Thieves drummer seems to land the one in reaction to the click guide rather than absolutely right on it.

That was a midi click put on after the recording in logic... we’re all slightly behind that one... can’t find the original click tbh!
    edited May 2018
    Beat It should definitely fit well as it finishes on B probably at the exact same time the bass hits it.

Nothing Else Matters by Metallica should fit and would be a mind fuck to play over the bass and drums. And Creeping Death would fit harmonically but sound really weird at 120bpm (I don't fancy trying it at 240bpm).

Then there's the G A 2 bar sequence to play with too. Obviously I doubled it to G G A A 4 bars to fit in a punk classic. 
    Beat It should definitely fit well as it finishes on B probably at the exact same time the bass hits it.

Nothing Else Matters by Metallica should fit and would be a mind fuck to play over the bass and drums. And Creeping Death would fit harmonically but sound really weird at 120bpm (I don't fancy trying it at 240bpm).

Then there's the G A 2 bar sequence to play with too. Obviously I doubled it to G G A A 4 bars to fit in a punk classic. 
    Perhaps a “mashup” challenge... put together a 4/4 drum track along with a pedalled bassline in the key of “?” And let people put whatever guitar riffs over the top!... most shoehorned in inside of two minutes wins!
    @poopot that could be good fun.   As long as you don't choose the I-V-vi-iv sequence. The Axis of Awesome have that one covered
    @poopot that could be good fun.   As long as you don't choose the I-V-vi-iv sequence. The Axis of Awesome have that one covered
    Was thinking along the lines of no chord sequence, just a constant bass note playing with the drums at a fixed tempo... riff away over the top...
    I'd be more fun to have a bass line inferring chord sequences. You can choose whether it's root/3rd/5th or a passing note or whatever as far as the riff relates to the bass. 

And all this talk has reminded me I need to finish the Ghost/Foo Fighters mashup I started work on last month.
    Nice challenge....check it out...Studio One .

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    This is a public track?...whats going on with soundcloud?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited May 2018
    Could be a Permissions settings issue. 

Also, SC is about to bring in new T&Cs and privacy policies.
    Be seeing you.
    I'd expect private links to still function when you post them. I sometimes email them so friends can listen to my mixes through their own stereos and comment on the mix. 

This is my ROTM entry on my own soundcloud set to private. I'd expect the rest of you to be able to access it now through this link 

Listen to Demo by TheFlyingPie #np on #SoundCloud
    @spark240 & @flying_pie ;
    neither of those links work! Have to launch soundcloud app and find your username to listen.
    Okay.  That means it must be permissions and the way the forum deals with links.

Those private links work fine through Messenger or WhatsApp but obviously not here.