Power Chords bar the 5th and octave with pinky?

What's Hot
I play power chords using my index finger on the root and pinky to bar the 5th and octave. Is this a problem as all I ever see is other people using their ring and pinky?

Whats your thoughts?

cheers
Chris
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited May 2018
    I always use my little finger, or middle if I’m doing the status quo blues thing. Never ring finger. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited May 2018
    What’s the pinky one? Is that the little one? I use index and ring finger as they leave the others free for other stuff.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I, too, use the pinky for power chords. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Use whatever you’re comfortable with that frets the notes cleanly.   I mix it up depending whether I need to add other notes or where I’m moving to next.   
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    What John_P said. I think I generally do index finger and barre with the ring finger. But I can and do use index, ring and pinky, too, depending on what I'm playing. I never, as far as I can remember, use index and pinky only. 

I have an ulnar nerve issue with the pinky finger so I rarely barre with it. I can, but it feels slightly uncomfortable and fatigues easily.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    C'mon guys, what all this "pinky" nonsense? We have an English term for the little finger that isn't American.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    When I learned power chords I was already used to playing sevenths, eg 57x6755 and x57x7x, so using index and ring was the obvious choice. Just last year I caught myself using index and pinkie in some situations. I have no idea how or why. My fingers seem to have done it automatically without consulting me. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    What makes you think that "pinky" is American? Because it's not.
    merlin said:
    Now now ladies and gentlemen, what all this "pinky" nonsense? We have an English term for the little finger that isn't American.  ;)
    Corrected
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    I stand corrected. I thought that pinky was an American word because I had only ever heard it used by Americans until recently when like the word "Awesome", which is almost always used incorrectly, it has become a very commonly used word by native British English speakers. I now have learned that it came into Scotland from The Netherlands and has been in use in these islands for well over 200 years. 

On the second point, I think that using "guys" to refer to collective humans is probably an American affectation, so I should stop using it. However one non-gender specific word might work...

And yes, I use my little finger for power-chords some of the time. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1646
    Roland said:
    When I learned power chords I was already used to playing sevenths, eg 57x6755 and x57x7x, so using index and ring was the obvious choice. Just last year I caught myself using index and pinkie in some situations. I have no idea how or why. My fingers seem to have done it automatically without consulting me. 
    Is that a seven string fingering??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    mrkb said:
    What’s the pinky one? Is that the little one? I use index and ring finger as they leave the others free for other stuff.
    This... the other stuff being a humpty-dumpty shuffle on power chords, or the sus4 thing on A shape barre chords.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    1st 3rd and 4th fingers together for me no flattening the pinky shit going on.
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    Index and pinky for me, started this way when I first began learning and now I can't comfortably use my ring
    delorean said:
    and now I can't comfortably use my ring

... no, never mind ..

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Index and pinky for me for straightforward E & A shape powerchords.. just feels natural that way. 
    I’m fine with ring finger for 7ths or minor bar chords...
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    viz said:
    delorean said:
    and now I can't comfortably use my ring

... no, never mind ..

D'oh!  I see what you did there!! ;) =)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    It varies depending on context.

Any combination of:
    • index + ring
    • index + pinky
    • index, middle, ring
    • index, ring, pinky
    All really depends on what was before, what's coming after, and whether there's any 7th/sus4 business going on around the main chord.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I use 1st and 4th fingers mainly for power chords..
    the upside of this is that the underside of the 4th finger helps keep the 1st the 3rd strings quiet
    the downside is that my 2nd finger tends to be straight, so in the live photos it looks like I'm giving the photographer the middle finger whilst I'm riffing.. lol..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Roland said:
    Is that a seven string fingering??
    I was thinking that - is that meant to be a weird 7-string chord? And the other one is a D major without a 7th in sight.