Do you fret with your thumb?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
This is a technique I've never used as in my youth as I was a very dedicated bass player whose hero was Percy Jones..so it was all about thumb on the back of the neck etc. As I moved towards guitar this technique stayed with me. However I do sometimes regret never having learnt using the thumb over the neck technique.. and thus it has always interested me..especially when I see sublime players like Chris Buck using it in the recent video that @ThorpyFX ; put up for his superb Gunshot overdrive :

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/131677/chris-buck-of-buck-and-evans-did-this-cracking-video

I've tried to use it but my 59 year old thumb refuses to comply... (bastard thing)

I wondered how many of you folks use the thumb technique? 
I would imagine it's more for blues/classic rock style players i.e. old school. 

It would be interesting to see if any younger players (still?) use this style.
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10643
    It always grosses me out a bit but even amazing players such as Greg Howe do it so
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    If the easiest way of playing a note (or chord) means using the thumb over the neck then I'll do it. Often that goes with muting the A string. Depends on what I played immediately before and where my hand needs to be immediately afterwards. 

And I started off as a classical guitarist, and still usually play with a dropped left wrist. 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    My hands and thumbs are too small :(

#thebatesmotelband
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    All the time. Not for everything, obviously, but doing it frees up fingers to do more things. 

I've also had classical guitar training, so I'm comfortable the other way, too. But for some jazz type things, it really helps with being able to play certain voicings, or play a chord and embellish it.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
    edited May 2018 tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Increasingly as I get older because there are some songs where thumb-over puts less strain on my index finger. You’ll sometimes see me alternate between full barre and thumb-over within the same song.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited May 2018

Doubt if I fall into the younger player category any more (though by standards on here... naughty), but yes, I got into doing it with this Fsus2, which should be in @bigjon's thread, if it isn't already:

I found it in the tab book transcription of

"Promise Her the Moon"

from Mr. Big's Bump Ahead album.

After that, I discovered that thumb over worked nicely for adding a low F whatever to D-shape cowboy chords:

maj 200232 

min 100231

sus2 200230

etc.

and that one can get in and out of a G chord from there nicely, too.

Speaking of which, doubling up the G in the middle of a pseudo barre chord voicing is YUGE [/Trumpcaps] with a crunch tone:

I think that one was in a guitar mag article on Blackmore.

An interview with Mr Facehugger Hands himself, Paul Gilbert, also made me wise to what he himself had filched from Mr Tall Thumb Hendrix: fret the bass note on the low string with the thumb and play fills on top.

Also great for comping in three-pieces, as I noticed from ZZ Top's Tush when the Hamsters did their Top tunes tour.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    I’ve never had a guitar lesson and I don’t like jazz, but I fail to see why anyone would completely ignore any single techie questions simply because someone once said it was “not proper”. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited May 2018
    Sometimes do it on acoustic if a chord's bassline decends.

The only time I can think of doing it on electric is playing Yellow Ledbetter - learned from the Marty Schwartz tuition video on YouTube. Choon!
  • Absolutely, all of the time, guitar is hard, an extra player on the pitch goes along way!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I started learning from Jimi Plays Monterey and Zep's Denmark TV special so I thought it was normal. It is though isn't it?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    No my hands aren't big enough, and it feels weird doing it.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9549
    Rarely. Only example that instantly springs to mind is open D with a B bass such (as in U2's With or Without You, or The Byrds' Chestnut Mare).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • All. The. Time.

Couldn't live without it - all my best chords use it.
    Support me on Youtube or Patreon
    https://www.patreon.com/leviclay    |    https://www.youtube.com/c/leviclay
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Sometimes - including on bass.
    Be seeing you.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Yeah I do it on certain chords.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I tend to hold the neck with a death grip so the thumb has some work to do in muting the low E. But playing notes with my thumb doesn't come up much in my tiny playing world although I seem to remember the D/F# (?) in Crossroads requires it (from the time I imposed that on an audience). 
    But if I play bass that's strictly thumb behind and my right hand technique is completely different too. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
    edited May 2018
    DLM said:

Doubt if I fall into the younger player category any more (though by standards on here... naughty), but yes, I got into doing it with this Fsus2, which should be in @bigjon's thread, if it isn't already:

I found it in the tab book transcription of

"Promise Her the Moon"

from Mr. Big's Bump Ahead album.

After that, I discovered that thumb over worked nicely for adding a low F whatever to D-shape cowboy chords:

maj 200232 

min 100231

sus2 200230

etc.

and that one can get in and out of a G chord from there nicely, too.

Speaking of which, doubling up the G in the middle of a pseudo barre chord voicing is YUGE [/Trumpcaps] with a crunch tone:

I think that one was in a guitar mag article on Blackmore.

Good info! Similarly, 557055 makes a nice A7.
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    I've started doing it recently due to subscribing to Paul Gilbert's guitar course.