SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Tele Neck pickup - Something decent

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
edited June 2018 in Parts £
Something Alnico 3. Boutique maker, lollar, klein, mojo, creamery, mare, etc. 

Preferably RWRP, but not essential.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I just wound up one of my Strat pickups onto a Tele flatwork, if you're after a Strat tone.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 443
    I can vouch for Twang King. Got a new one on eBay, not expensive.  Sounds great in my Nashville Frankenstein ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Alegree said:
    I just wound up one of my Strat pickups onto a Tele flatwork, if you're after a Strat tone.
    Sounds interesting - what magnets, output? it would need to have a nickel cover on it
    tFB Trader
    Zoolooter said:
    Alegree said:
    Sounds interesting - what magnets, output? it would need to have a nickel cover on it
    Alnico 5 rods, 6k resistance (it's a Tele compatible model of one of these https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/stratocaster-single-coil-pickups/products/texan-hailstorm)

It's got the standard Tele chromed cover (but it's nickel silver to preserve more of the stratty treble). It's identical to a normal Tele neck after installation.
    Alegree said:
    Zoolooter said:
    Alegree said:
    Alnico 5 rods, 6k resistance (it's a Tele compatible model of one of these https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/stratocaster-single-coil-pickups/products/texan-hailstorm)

It's got the standard Tele chromed cover (but it's nickel silver to preserve more of the stratty treble). It's identical to a normal Tele neck after installation.
    Pm'd
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Alegree said:
    Have you ever built one of those with A2 or A3 rod magnets under the three plain strings? 
    Be seeing you.
    tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    Have you ever built one of those with A2 or A3 rod magnets under the three plain strings? 
    I'm afraid not.
    Thank you for your prompt reply. 
    Be seeing you.
    Still looking
    I have a Seymour Duncan Antiquity 1024-21 (A5 rod magnets, claimed 7.91k). Lovely as it is, this does not sound like a similar pickup made with A3 magnets. 
    Be seeing you.
    I have a Seymour Duncan Antiquity 1024-21 (A5 rod magnets, claimed 7.91k). Lovely as it is, this does not sound like a similar pickup made with A3 magnets. 
    Can you describe the difference with the Antiquity A5.
    bump
    Zoolooter said:
    Can you describe the difference with the Antiquity.
    Cosmetically, uncle Seymour has had somebody dull the metal cover to a matt appearance with a Scotchbrite pad. Token amounts of dust and fluff are stuck to the fibreboard bobbins and the outer surface of the coil. The wax on the cloth insulation for the output conductors has some sort of yellow dye mixed into it. All in the name of simulating fifty years' natural ageing. I cannot remember whether efforts are made to slightly de-Gauss the magnets.

Zoolooter said:
    Can you describe the difference with the A5.
    The difference with the two magnet formulations is that the midrange is in a slightly different place and the treble is smoother with A3. 

I love the sound of the stock A3 pickups in the Fender Relic Nocaster. The nearest that I have ever got to the same sound in an AVRI '52Telecaster is with the aftermarket Nocaster neck/Rhythm position pickup. 

This is on ash/maple guitars.

On an alder/maple Telecaster, the extra brightness from A5 rod magnets would probably balance the smoother tones of that wood.

As mentioned in your other thread on this topic, any of the UK pickup makers who frequent this forum can probably build exactly what you require. (Just speak to them nicely and offer them money.) The reason why I name-checked Oil City Pickups in the other thread is because they offer an off-the-shelf model that pretty much fills your brief.

Alegree said:
    I just wound one of my Strat pickups onto a Tele flatwork, if you're after a Strat tone. Alnico 5 rods, 6k resistance (it's a Tele compatible model of one of these https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/stratocaster-single-coil-pickups/products/texan-hailstorm). It's got the standard Tele chromed cover (but it's nickel silver to preserve more of the stratty treble). It's identical to a normal Tele neck after installation.
    This model would probably suit somebody wishing to create a "stealth" Jerry Donahue Telecaster. Just add the special selector switch and smartarse wiring circuit. ;) Three conductor output cable would be a bonus, methinks.

Be seeing you.
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for the info @Funkfingers ;

I should probably just order a replacement Nocaster Neck as this is what I had in until I drilled through the winding. It's a great neck PU, but its the middle position with this pickup that does it for me with a light ash body and maple neck.
    Bump
    Bump
    Still looking 
    bump
    poopot said:
    Thanks, but tried the twisted tele awhile back. Wasn't for me, nice if you want a straty sound in the neck and middle positions.