DIYing jack install?

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
Assuming I can find my stepped drill bit how bad of an idea is.it for me to just go ahead and hand drill a 1/2 inch hole in there?

Ditto neck strap pin? (Not with that bit obv)
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Definitely do-able. You need to be careful (*obviously*) but I fitted an endpin jack to my old Taylor without strife. 

You do need to be careful where you fit the neck strap pin though - into the block (and not just through the wall of the guitar) but also in a sensible place to the guitar balances ok.

iirc @ICBM knows more... (as usual :) )
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Do you mean hand drill as in a *hand* drill, or a hand-held power drill?

Be very careful with a hand-held power drill - if you're unlucky and it 'grabs' the wood you can end up splitting the endblock and the sides of the guitar.

I use a hand reamer and a 1/2" drill bit held sideways in a pair of mole grips - it looks crude, but actually gives you full control of how much and how fast you're cutting.

Drilling into the neck heel also needs care - some guitars have metal bolts hidden inside and if you hit one you're in real trouble. Check thoroughly inside the guitar first. Usually the best place is about halfway up on the treble side of the heel, *not* on the back of the heel cap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    ICBM said:
    full control of how much and how fast you're cutting.
    This. Always.
    Be seeing you.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    TimmyO said:
    Assuming I can find my stepped drill bit how bad of an idea is.it for me to just go ahead and hand drill a 1/2 inch hole in there?

Ditto neck strap pin? (Not with that bit obv)
    If by 'stepped drill bit' you mean one of these, then NO!

I'm no woodwork expert, but that is way too coarse a tool to use on a guitar body. You'd be better off with a brace and bit and/or hand-held reamer.

Incidentally, most Taylor acoustics have a bottom strap pin that removes easily to leave exactly the right size hole for an end-pin jack socket.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    ta @ICBM ;

I'm just getting frustrated at the lackadaisical tech - he did finally reply but is away until the middle of next week <sigh> 

I'll probably just cool my jets.

But to understand better (because why not) - would you use a hand reamer to open out the hole (they seem to come as 3-12mm commonly) then a 1/2" drill bit to get the final size? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    TimmyO said:

But to understand better (because why not) - would you use a hand reamer to open out the hole (they seem to come as 3-12mm commonly) then a 1/2" drill bit to get the final size? 
    Yes. I use the hand reamer to go in as far as possible - well below the surface - then the drill bit to open out the hole to parallel inside. If the reamer is only 12mm not 1/2" it should still be OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    ok ta, see how impatient I get lol 
    Red ones are better.