That perfect tone.... is it an illusion?

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3356
    edited May 2018
    Its the knob that isnt the volume knob, if your guitar doesnt have one , then you need to sell it and buy one that does.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader

Actually ive been keeping this quite..

This is the REAL secret behind more tone  :p

https://i.imgur.com/ENxuxAC.jpg

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Sometimes I can play and it's almost a transcendental experience, then come back to the exact same sound with the same guitar a day or two later and not be feeling it at all. State of mind definitely comes into it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ATB_GuitarsATB_Guitars Frets: 214
    mr-mac said:
    I'd say no.  It's when a players hands, pick, touch, setup etc... Guitar, any efx and the amplifier all come together to form something special.  

tbh your more likely to get it by practising and when ready to choose equipment going out and playing and auditioning a pile of kit then you ever would be buying something that sounded good with xyz artist or in a demo video.

I agree. I get a fair few extremely good players in my store trying out the vintage stock and it is interesting to note they will often migrate to their own characteristic 'home' tone whatever guitar they pick up, In so much as players used to Teles who try a 335 or similar, will often use more of their nail when picking to try to emulate the Tele bite they are used to.

That being said, it is often surprising how particular these guys can be when it comes to the tiniest perceived differences in tone to their own ear... I cannot hear that much difference when I am listening, which I guess does indicate this tone is largely in the ear of the beholder.

I think there is a lot more variance in the tone of vintage instruments compared to todays CNC machined, modern guitars. I also think Fenders have more diversity of 'tone' than Gibsons do. Maybe it is the combination of body mass and/or the way the ash or alder ages compared to Gibson's mahogany but I guarantee you two 60's Teles or Strats with identical set ups, strings amps etc will sound subtly, but noticeably different in tone. But hey, this is all part of the fun of vintage which for many is a big part of the appeal...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    octatonic said:
    What people are buying is an emotion.
    The problem is it is fleeting.

The way to deal with it is simply to stop trying to fill a hole in yourself with 'a thing'.
    Throw yourself into your playing and then it doesn't matter about the gear- you can still buy instruments  as you can afford to but it isn't necessary.

I didn't buy a guitar for about 2 years- I've bought 3 this year- because I had the cash and wanted them, not based on the illusion they would make me a better player.
    I've said (more than once) that if people spent 1/10th the time working on transcription that they spent obsessing over minute differences in tone then they'd be much better musicians.
    This 100%
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    edited May 2018
    I think a lot of it is subjective. If you're the guitarist you can hear the nuances more than anybody else. That might be a psychosomatic thing. 
    For instance if I play a large open G chord on my SG with a crunch sound and then the same on my DGT. I'll hear more top and bottom on the DGT and a more pronounced mid range honk on the SG. If I played that to a non guitarist they might say one is brighter etc but they won't agree that the price difference between the two guitars is justified. 
    I believe a more expensive amp and guitar will generally sound better. But the price difference is something guitarists justify to themselves (I'm as guilty as anyone else)
    I agree 110% with bucket about it being a mental state of mind thing. If I don't play for a few weeks, I'm far more at ease when I pick a guitar up. And sometimes you just have off days. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    This is it summed up perfectly in less than 3 minutes 

Totally.
    It clicked for me years ago when I was doing recording and this was doing the rounds at the time:
    A and B are the same shade but they look so different because of the surrounding contexts.
    Easy leap of imagination to realise that's exactly what happens to tone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    they look the same to me?

edited May 2018

They don't to most people.  Most people see A and B on backgrounds of two distinctly different shades.
    It's basically a fairly well-known example of Adelson's illusion -- quite detailed explanation here
    You could be an exception.  And there's a phenomenon of participation in psychology experiments, also fairly well-known to researchers, where this is known to happen and affect scoring.
    But for most people the picture is a visual illustration of what happens to your guitar tone depending on what's playing around you (or what isn't!). 
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    @ATB_Guitars ; wonder if the neck wood has more varience or maybe scratchplate material due to size of plate and mounting of pickups it probs can effect things more than a humbucker ring or pickup mounted direct to body.
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    Grunfeld said:

They don't to most people.  Most people see A and B on backgrounds of two distinctly different shades.
    It's basically a fairly well-known example of Adelson's illusion -- quite detailed explanation here
    You could be an exception.  And there's a phenomenon of participation in psychology experiments, also fairly well-known to researchers, where this is known to happen and affect scoring.
    But for most people the picture is a visual illustration of what happens to your guitar tone depending on what's playing around you (or what isn't!). 
    sorry i misread it as SHAPE lol, yes they do look a different shade  :3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2018
    sorry i misread it as SHAPE lol, yes they do look a different shade  3
    haha, makes sense now!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    I think that between guitars its often just a difference ,probably unmeasurable in the way the coiils are wound  and pots made ,caps made ,.I worked in a coil winding shop,it wound  larger coils and coils for resistors etc  and the plus /minus quality control was usually generous.If it wasnt ,production stopped and all hell broke loose as we tried to wind ,machine and by hand ,exactly to spec .So take say a 10%  plus or minus on the pickup ,add in the same from pots and pretty soon you have a fairly wide variety of difference either way.Thats before the same is applied to all the specs of amp componants .Throw in your strings which will not only vary slightly , not stay the same as they wear out ,the player ,the variation in the way you hit the string ,the pickup height,pick , and its easy to see why one guitar may well be heaven and the so called exactly the same guitar to sound not so good .
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2173
    I guess it’s completely subjective.... I mean what is a good tone? It’s all in the context of the music. I guess for most hobby guitarists it’s more about tone replication or just finding a tone that they like, but as mentioned there are so many variables to this and the guitar is only a one part. 

I disagree that setup only affects feel. In my experience it can change a tone dramatically, especially when you start playing with things like pole hieghts on the pups. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I think a big factor in tone is how the guitar makes you feel when you play it..
    if it plays really well it can bring out the best in your playing so you can perceive it as having better tone
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    edited May 2018
    There are good tones and bad Tones.

Examples of good Tones include Iommi, Curtis, and Bennett.

An example of a bad Tone would be Blair. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Clarky said:
    I think a big factor in tone is how the guitar makes you feel when you play it..
    if it plays really well it can bring out the best in your playing so you can perceive it as having better tone
    agree - I always play any potential purchase unplugged first - if it doesn't feel right and comfortable to handle, then everything else can go in the bin - The more comfortable you are with this aspect of the guitars performance then the more it will enrich your technique - Then go from there - Almost as though you can't get a good tone if it doesn't feel/play right

Granted  if it plays/feels right, then it doesn't necessarily mean the guitars natural tone will be to your taste - ie you might want hot pick-ups or vintage pick-ups - So often all tick boxes need to be given the green light to complete the whole package - But any initial evaluation to me is unplugged
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    HAL9000 said:
    There are good tones and bad Tones.

Examples of good Tones include Iommi, Curtis, and Bennett.

An example of a bad Tone would be Blair. 
    There are also Schrodinger's tones which are both bad and good at the same time. Neil Young and Dimebag Darrell being classic examples
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    ATB_Guitars said:

I think there is a lot more variance in the tone of vintage instruments compared to todays CNC machined, modern guitars. I also think Fenders have more diversity of 'tone' than Gibsons do. Maybe it is the combination of body mass and/or the way the ash or alder ages compared to Gibson's mahogany but I guarantee you two 60's Teles or Strats with identical set ups, strings amps etc will sound subtly, but noticeably different in tone. But hey, this is all part of the fun of vintage which for many is a big part of the appeal...
    A load of bollocks by someone with a business interest in perpetuating a marketing narrative that pays their bills. 

As for the discussion, £500 spent on lessons or learning time will improve your tone much more than £500 extra on the price of gear. 
    Having said that, placebo effect is very important especially in something as subjective as tone.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    carlos said:
    ATB_Guitars said:

A load of bollocks by someone with a business interest in perpetuating a marketing narrative that pays the bills.
    Or one mans opinion, put together like an adult, unlike yours?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom