Berlinah Wallace gets away with murder

What's Hot
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    Well, she didn't actually kill him did she ?  She has been found guilty of 'Throwing a corrosive substance with intent' and will likely get a prison sentence for that, but in terms of the definition of the crime of murder, I don't think it could be proven that she intended to kill him.  A manslaughter charge could have been more appropriate perhaps ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    He died as a direct consequence of her behaviour so manslaughter is the very least she should get convicted of
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    as for punishment, I reckon a douche with acid in both holes would be sufficient
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    What ever sentence she recieves will not be enough. If you hacked off someone’s face with a knife you’d be detained indefinitely, she did the same with a corrosive so she should be excluded from society indefinitely too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    The jury obviously heard enough evidence to say she didn’t pre-plan it, so it doesn’t count as murder. From what I’ve seen, it does sounds like she’ll be done for man slaughter. Hell of a way to die, whatever. The poor bastard.  :'(
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    boogieman said:
    The jury obviously heard enough evidence to say she didn’t pre-plan it, so it doesn’t count as murder. From what I’ve seen, it does sounds like she’ll be done for man slaughter. Hell of a way to die, whatever. The poor bastard.  :'(
    What? Euthanasia?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    What? Euthanasia?
    A voluntary death-wish because of the dreadful condition he'd been left in
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Garthy said:
    What ever sentence she recieves will not be enough.
    None of us have heard any evidence and yet you’re confident to call the sentence inadequate before it’s even been decided ?

I have some excellent quality pitchforks in stock at the moment, absolute bargain...  Would you like a try ?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Emp_Fab said:
    Garthy said:
    None of us have heard any evidence and yet you’re confident to call the sentence inadequate before it’s even been decided ?

I have some excellent quality pitchforks in stock at the moment, absolute bargain...  Would you like a try ?
    There’s quite a bit of evidence- she bought 1 litre of sulphuric acid and researched acid attacks on her computer. I’m not sure what revelations you’re expecting 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/17/kill-me-now-acid-attack-led-euthanasia-mark-van-dongen
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Garthy said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Garthy said:

There’s quite a bit of evidence- she bought 1 litre of sulphuric acid and researched acid attacks on her computer. I’m not sure what revelations you’re expecting 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/17/kill-me-now-acid-attack-led-euthanasia-mark-van-dongen

That's a genuinely brutal thing to read. This wasn't a bit of acid and bad facial burns, Jesus, someone who could inflict something like this on another living thing doesn't deserve to be free ever again.

A young man opted for euthensaia based on what she done to him while she laughed. Sick, sick woman.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    edited May 2018
    It was the wrong charge - she didn’t kill him, even indirectly, so it could not be murder or manslaughter.

It should have been attempted murder. In which case she could still have been given a life sentence.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well, she didn't actually kill him did she ?  She has been found guilty of 'Throwing a corrosive substance with intent' and will likely get a prison sentence for that, but in terms of the definition of the crime of murder, I don't think it could be proven that she intended to kill him.  A manslaughter charge could have been more appropriate perhaps ?
    that's not the definition
    it's something like (A) "planned intention to do something that anyone reasonable would think could risk causing GBH", plus (B) the victim dying because of their injuries

My guess is that the jury felt that part (B) was not proved
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Emp_Fab said:
    Garthy said:

I know you like to defend the ladies, but really? FFS
    The evidence is that she bought the acid, and researched acid attacks
    She knew what she was doing, therefore she intended to destroy his "normal" life, and disable him for life, therefore no prison sentence could be more harsh than the result of her planned actions
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Evil, nasty, horrific, but not murder.
    Based on the information, I hope she gets locked away for ever.
    Emp_Fab said:
    Garthy said:

I know you like to defend the ladies, but really? FFS
    The evidence is that she bought the acid, and researched acid attacks
    She knew what she was doing, therefore she intended to destroy his "normal" life, and disable him for life, therefore no prison sentence could be more harsh than the result of her planned actions
    It's got nothing to do with "defending the ladies" - it's about defending the law.  None of us were at the trial, none of us were jurors.  None of us heard all of the evidence.  All any of us have heard is what has been published in the media - and how many times has that been proven to be a pile of made-up shit ?  I'm not saying that what we have heard from the media is a load of bollocks, but as a dependable paragon of the truth, it's up there with Donald Trump.

I'm railing against the declaration of an unknown sentence as inadequate by people who don't have the full picture and who are by no means in any position to criticise the judgement of legal professionals who do have the full picture.  The judicial process must be respected.  Undermining it with statements to the effect that 'whatever outcome it produces will be inadequate' is the thin end of the wedge and the starting point of mob mentality.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    She was found guilty of throwing acid with intent, which is exactly what the evidence suggests. She didn't kill him, the acid didn't kill him - he killed himself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    She was found guilty of throwing acid with intent, which is exactly what the evidence suggests. She didn't kill him, the acid didn't kill him - he killed himself. 
    That may be the bare facts according to the law. I still say he wouldn't have wished for death if she hadn't so horribly injured him: her behaviour led to his death and is therefore culpable.

You get similar issues when teenagers bully each other online and incite each other towards suicide.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    boogieman said:
    The jury obviously heard enough evidence to say she didn’t pre-plan it, so it doesn’t count as murder. From what I’ve seen, it does sounds like she’ll be done for man slaughter. Hell of a way to die, whatever. The poor bastard. 
    No she won't. The jury acquitted her for murder or manslaughter. 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm railing against the declaration of an unknown sentence as inadequate by people who don't have the full picture and who are by no means in any position to criticise the judgement of legal professionals who do have the full picture.  The judicial process must be respected.  Undermining it with statements to the effect that 'whatever outcome it produces will be inadequate' is the thin end of the wedge and the starting point of mob mentality.

That is true. A couple of m'learned friends in the field believe the sentence will be maximum and will test out the CPS guidelines with regard to acid attacks and life sentences. 

What she did was horrific. I've been following the case since moving down to London from Bristol via the Bristol Post, a newspaper which doesn't tend to explode into hyperbole. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-fashion-student-berlinah-wallace-1531304

A short sentence for her actions would be met with quite a shout of outrage in my opinion, and rightfully so. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Heartfeltdawn said:

That is true. A couple of m'learned friends in the field believe the sentence will be maximum and will test out the CPS guidelines with regard to acid attacks and life sentences.
    I think so too. As I understand it, judges don't usually like to give out maximum sentences because that essentially means that another judge can't then more heavily punish a worse case. But that does assume that it's possible to think of a worse case.

She's lucky this is not Iran, where the punishment for a crime involving injury or death can be the imposition of the same.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/03/iran-blind-acid-attack-woman-retribution-punishment/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson