How many basses do you own?

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited May 2018
    None :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Five.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Four right now.

I plan to make a bass in the next year or two, I'll probably flog all them then
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Three and a bit.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    I only have one but I’m only a dilettante when it comes to bass. And yet I’m starting to talk myself into that I need both a Precision and a Jazz...

My friend, who is a bass player has 15.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    2 and 2 uprights
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    1.5 - a Warmoth PJ and an Ashbory.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    2 - a Jazz modded to PJ configuration, and a short scale Ibanez TMB30.  I'm thinking of selling the Jazz and looking at something with a shorter scale.  May try to find something around 32" though rather than 30".
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    A lot....but I started collecting at 16...and I'm 37 now. I had a long break from buying gear and I haven't bought a bass in quite some time and I won't be doing, but whilst my mates were buying cars they couldn't really afford and spending £1.5k on insurance, I bought a rubbish car and nice gear, which I still own (not the car, the gear). Their cars, well, most of them are worthless now or scrapped.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    crunchman said:
    2 - a Jazz modded to PJ configuration, and a short scale Ibanez TMB30.  I'm thinking of selling the Jazz and looking at something with a shorter scale.  May try to find something around 32" though rather than 30".
    Is 33.25" close enough?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    crunchman said:
    Is 33.25" close enough?

Not sure.  I played a 33" the other day, and it does make a difference from 34".

The looks on that particular one were a bit of an acquired taste:

https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass/products/italia-rimini

I'm not sure I have the budget for a Rick though.  I might get £600 for my Jazz with a following wind.  Due to Rickenbacker's stance on copies, it's not like I'm going to be able to find a decent quality copy either.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited May 2018
    Usable copies exist. "Somebody" must be hoarding them somewhere.

Through neck construction and arcane hardware help to partially recreate the RIC experience. Even screwed-on neck lookalikes will deliver the scale length. If the pickup cavities are generous enough, it would be easy to make changes to get whatever sound you fancy.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    It is surprising how much difference that 3/4” shorter scale makes - I find a 34” just slightly too long for my little girly hands :), but the Rick is perfect.

There are quite a lot of decent 1970s Japanese 4001 copies out there - the difficulty is finding them for sale. They’re usually good quality - at least apart from the machineheads - if you avoid the bolt-on neck ones. A very few even have double truss rods. I borrowed a nice Shaftesbury one while I was looking for a real Rick, and it was quite close to be honest...

The modern copies aren’t in the same league though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    It is surprising how much difference that 3/4” shorter scale makes - I find a 34” just slightly too long for my little girly hands :), but the Rick is perfect.

There are quite a lot of decent 1970s Japanese 4001 copies out there - the difficulty is finding them for sale. They’re usually good quality - at least apart from the machineheads - if you avoid the bolt-on neck ones. A very few even have double truss rods. I borrowed a nice Shaftesbury one while I was looking for a real Rick, and it was quite close to be honest...

The modern copies aren’t in the same league though.

Some of the older Japanese stuff looks quite interesting.  There were some 80's Japanese made Fenders (and maybe JV Squiers) that were medium scale.  Westone had one or two models with a scale around 32", and I think there were some Aria basses with 32" scale as well.  The problem is finding one for sale that isn't at an inflated price.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4944
    One. A Fender Precision. The best there is in basses. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Five
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    edited May 2018
    crunchman said:
    Try to find an E-series Jap Squier mid-scale. Very nice 32" that doesn't feel floppy like a 30", but just a bit more comfortable than a 34.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    One, but I'm primarily a guitarist. Thinking about adding a second sometime soon - a fretless...
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Whitecat said:
    One, but I'm primarily a guitarist. Thinking about adding a second sometime soon - a fretless...

@Whitecat Yeah, that's what I did.