Best Amp Modelling Software

BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2173
I’m about to get an iMac and was wondering if anyone has a view on the best amp modelling software available today?

Will Kemper release a software version of their product anytime soon? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    Helix Native is the best, IMO, but I'll admit to a certain bias because my Helix is absolutely the best bit of gear I've ever used.
    <space for hire>
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    I'm sure other people will have much more helpful and indepth advice than I have to give, but I do have a few thoughts.

What are you planning to use the software for?  Standalone on your iMac?  As a VST in your DAW?  For live performance (unlikely, but you never know!) ?

What style of music are you wanting to play?

What's your budget?

This year I've been playing around with Helix Native, Guitar Rig 5, and Audio Assault Grind Machine II which I got in a $10 sale.

Surprisingly the most fun I had was with Grind Machine II - you fire it up and the default patch is just epic.  I imagine you'd be disappointed in Grind Machine if you want a clean tone though. 

I suspect Guitar Rig has had its day - Native Instruments seem to have lost interest in it and using it with impulse responses seems a little tricky.

Helix Native is fascinating to play with and definitely has the most potential out of those I've used.  I've bought a load of different patches and impulse responses, the downside is I find myself lost in choice paralysis because there are so many options, particularly when I use it in Ableton Live which has its own effects, and the ability to add other VST effects in the signal chain.

At the moment I'm waiting for Scuffham S-Gear to have their next $99 sale.  I'm in no hurry to buy it but a lot of people seem to think it's the bee's knees.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    What styles of music are you looking to do?

My recommendations are to demo the following:

Amplitube 4 - Covers most styles, especially good sounds from newer add-on packs.  Interface is pretty easy to understand.

Helix Native - Covers most styles and comes with everything you'd need without having to buy add ons, but interface doesn't look like an amp/pedals which may or may not be an issue for you.

S Gear 2 - Good for a range of sounds though focuses more on clean and mid gain sounds, doesn't cover as much ground as Native or Amplitube + addons.

TSE X50 - It's just a 5150 sim so focused on modern high gain heavy sounds, however I think it does them very well

Best is all relative to your needs.  I'm not aware of any information regarding a Kemper software plugin.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    S-Gear 2 is the best I've tried. I didn't think Helix Native was really any of an upgrade from this or Amplitube tbh but I accept maybe my interface (edirol ua25ex) is just a bit shit as it's always very noisy.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    Worth noting that unless you have a hardware Helix, then Helix Native might be prohibitively expensive (about £295). There are discounts available if you own any of the hardware Helix units other than the HX Effects.
    <space for hire>
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    revsorg said:
    For live performance? (unlikely, but you never know!)
    Vernon Reid did exactly that on Living Colour's 2009 Chair In The Doorway tour. I could not tell you on exactly which songs, mind. 
    Be seeing you.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    +1 For S-gear, it feels good (as well as sounding good), also took wah and overdrive pedals well.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Worth noting that unless you have a hardware Helix, then Helix Native might be prohibitively expensive (about £295). There are discounts available if you own any of the hardware Helix units other than the HX Effects.
    They have done some sales and probably will again. I picked it up in a sale, it’s not cheap but they aren’t charging for addons and updates this time so over the coming years it will hopefully prove even better value.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Barnezy said:
    Will Kemper release a software version of their product anytime soon? 
    Highly unlikely.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.