Richie Blackmore Strat

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
Has anyone owned or played one?

I'm not a shredder but there's alot about the guitar I like. However i'm unsure if I'd get on with the scalloped neck. Is it comfortable to play and will it work for rhythm guitar strumming?

Great dirty tones from the demos I've watched, but does it still sound "Stratty" when clean or lightly overdriven?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Scalloped fingerboards present no problem to a player with a light touch. 

Dirt is what the Blackmore and Malmsteen Stratocasters are about. For my tastes, through clean or semi-clean amplification, the Lace Sensors, Duncan Quarter Pound and DiMarzio HS-3 stacked coil pickups lack the glassy edge of a proper Fender single coil pickup. 
    Be seeing you.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Yes, I've played one. I'm not a massive Strat fan (although I am admittedly a bit of a shredder), but saw one in a shop and gave it a go. It is actually really comfy to play - neck obviously bigger/wider than the usual guitars I play (Ibanez/Vigier for comparison), but nice. 

The scalloping on it is relatively gentle in the little experience I've had with scallops - something else to bear in mind is that the scalloping is more pronounced on the far side of the fretboard (towards the high E) than it is on the near side, which I hadn't realised before - it gets deeper as you move towards the higher strings, if that makes sense. 

I think the one I tried is still for sale if you were interested in giving one a go; it's a Japanese one. 
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 610

I have the 1997 Japan model. Very well built. Nicely scalloped and you wither like 1/4 pounds or not I guess. Will still stay very clean like a normal strat with the right settings or get dirty if you need it. Pups are not as aggressive as you might think. Put it with a treble booster and it will get violent quickly haha. Heavy touch can make notes sound out of tune so as mentioned above light touch is what it's all about (or get Blackmores fingers off him). I wouldn't say it is ideal guitar for lots of rhythm strumming. Blackmore actually hated playing rhythm so if you listen of most of his backing playing it is unlike what most guitarists do behind a song

Scallop neck will be marmite, you won't know unless you try one. the scallops are entirely different in formation on the Blackmore and YGM, possible you might like one but not the other !!

Scallop does make bends etc easier

Couple of people on here have the Mexico ones I know

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I really fancied trying a scalloped fretboard. Eventually got my hands on a Yngwie start. I desperately wanted to love the feel of them, but I didn't.

In all fairness, it was a relatively short go in a guitar shop. They had that annoying device running that sucks all your ability out if someone is within earshot. I'd like to try one for a week at home ideally. Actually I think I'll just buy a cheap neck and scallop it myself sometime.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Which features is it that you like, OP? The scalloped board is the main reason to get this guitar, I think.

I tried one once in a shop and thought it was a bit shrill, cheap and nasty, but I was in the "boutique" room, and all the other guitars I played that day were things like Custom Shop Strats, which is really not a fair price comparison.

The scalloped board is for players who do a lot of bends and vibrato. Not much point, otherwise. I've been trying to get my mate's dad to sell me his scalloped US Strat for years because it's so much fun to play. He's got huge, powerful builder's hands and can't play it in tune with his rhythm and blues band, so it lives in its case. :(

Sure, you can play rhythm/chords on a scalloped board, but you'll have to lose the death grip far too many people have.

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    The things I like about it are:

1. It's a white 70's style Strat with Rosewood fretboard (that's my aesthetic tick list, sorted)
    2. The pick up configuration and three way selector (not a massive fan of positions 2 and 4)
    3. Killer rock tones
    4. I see used ones go for similar prices to their Classic Series 70s counter parts 

The things I'm unsure about:

1. Will I like the scalloped board as I'm not shredtastic
    2. I like to play surf music, Hendrix and 60's garage rock at times. Will it sound a bit lacking in these areas due to the pickups

Great feedback so far, would love to try one myself to know for sure, but as i'm looking at sold ones I may have to buy from further afield.
    Yes, I've played one. I'm not a massive Strat fan (although I am admittedly a bit of a shredder), but saw one in a shop and gave it a go. It is actually really comfy to play - neck obviously bigger/wider than the usual guitars I play (Ibanez/Vigier for comparison), but nice. 

The scalloping on it is relatively gentle in the little experience I've had with scallops - something else to bear in mind is that the scalloping is more pronounced on the far side of the fretboard (towards the high E) than it is on the near side, which I hadn't realised before - it gets deeper as you move towards the higher strings, if that makes sense. 

I think the one I tried is still for sale if you were interested in giving one a go; it's a Japanese one. 

Which shop had a Jap one if you don't mind me asking ? They are pretty rare and hard to find here......the Mexican ones are far more numerous
    Duppy03 said:

1. It's a white 70's style Strat with Rosewood fretboard (that's my aesthetic tick list, sorted)
    2. The pick up configuration and three way selector (not a massive fan of positions 2 and 4)
    3. Killer rock tones
    4. I see used ones go for similar prices to their Classic Series 70s counter parts 

2. I like to play surf music, Hendrix and 60's garage rock at times. Will it sound a bit lacking in these areas due to the pickups

Great feedback so far, would love to try one myself to know for sure, but as i'm looking at sold ones I may have to buy from further afield.

You really need to spend a fair bit of time with a scalloped neck to be sure you are comfortable. Probably more than shop time allows. Within reason I think you can get any kind of strat sound you want....more down to what you will play it through rather than worrying about the 1/4 pounders alone. Most of Blackmores sound and tone was hit as very high volume (my ears can vouch for that) but he would roll the volume right off and have as clean a sounding strat as you could like. But those pups are not what he always played with so videos for tone can be misleading, Gold lace sensors were a fave for while which are a different beast to the 1/4 pounders.

I think you will be more than happy with the pup strat tone, whether you like the neck will be thefar bigger question.

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4287
    edited May 2018
    I have 3 scalloped fingerboard guitars now and love a scalloped fingerboard 

I sold my Fender Blackmore Strat though after only a few weeks as I just couldn’t get on with the 7.25 radius 

Even with a good setup the action was just too high and it felt like a fight all the time playing it. The neck profile was lovely though and it’s a well made instrument but is overpriced for a MIM so look for a good secondhand one 

I did try several luthiers including two off this forum to see if anyone would re-radius the board but though it could be done nobody wanted to take the job on so i kicked it out the door 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    bazxkr said:

Which shop had a Jap one if you don't mind me asking ? They are pretty rare and hard to find here......the Mexican ones are far more numerous
    it's in Aberystwyth so a bit of a trek; I went to uni there so we go back quite often. It's in the market hall at the top of main street. It's a proper old-school guitar shop full of lots of different/unusual stuff. http://www.aberystwythmarkethall.co.uk/en/traders/gitar-guitar/
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Duppy03 said:

3. Killer rock tones

Just in case you missed it - it doesn't have a middle pickup at all so the middle position on the switch is neck+bridge
    axisus said:
    They had that annoying device running that sucks all your ability out if someone is within earshot. 
    lol funny how that happens

I noticed yesterday that it's particularly difficult to learn melodies by ear - usually I can just play a melody by ear and have learned it in a few seconds but when someone's there I think there's a fear of playing wrong notes
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268

The scalloping is still very heavy compared to my Washburn, you can barely see it but you can feel it. I'll hopeload a picture later.
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    Sounds like i’d Probably be best getting a used Classic 70s Strat and modding the pickups and selector switch myself if I really wanted that configuration
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    I Have a custom shop 1969 Stratocaster which is about as close as you can get to a Blackmore, Hendrix Stratocaster  you can get.         Maybe look at one of them.   In fact it tickles me that fender custom shop have released that recent Hendrix signature guitar for something like £3000
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Duppy03 said:
    Sounds like i’d Probably be best getting a used Classic 70s Strat and modding the pickups and selector switch myself if I really wanted that configuration
    This! Find a Strat in the colour and neck profile/type you like then mod to taste, with the wiring/choice of pickups you desire. Sounds to me like the attraction is the look and the electrics that appeal to you and in order to get that ff the shelf, there is the issue of a scalloped neck....
    I think if it were me I would buy another Scratchplate to do the mods on, then if you hate the final result, you can easily return it to standard spec.....
    I wanted a hardtail Strat, but buyng new I could only get a Robert Cray MIM, which has a hefty price premium over a Standard MIM Strat....I made my own!.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    Duppy03 said:
    This! Find a Strat in the colour and neck profile/type you like then mod to taste, with the wiring/choice of pickups you desire. Sounds to me like the attraction is the look and the electrics that appeal to you and in order to get that ff the shelf, there is the issue of a scalloped neck....
    I think if it were me I would buy another Scratchplate to do the mods on, then if you hate the final result, you can easily return it to standard spec.....
    I wanted a hardtail Strat, but buyng new I could only get a Robert Cray MIM, which has a hefty price premium over a Standard MIM Strat....I made my own!.....
    Out of a standard Strat or from scratch?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited May 2018
    @thegummy ;;;from parts...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/129571/finished-hardtail-stratele-with-fat-neck-build-the-korinacaster#latest

It could just as easily been Olly White with a Strat neck
    Cost
    Guitarbuild body £100
    Allparts/MM neck (cant remember) £80/120
    Tuners Wilkinson EZ lock 18.50
    Scratchplate £20
    Pickups Neck/Middle Iron Gear Pig Irons £50, Bridge Fat 50 £40
    Fender HT bridge and ferrules £35
    CTS pots £15
    Switch £20
    Paint Halfords Lacquer x2 £16
    Other bits Straplocks/caps/Neck plate and Screws/Scratchplate screws etc about £30

Roughly £500 all done....although I already had a lot of the above parts "in stock"
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• vizviz Frets: 10644
    (although I am admittedly a bit of a shredder),

Wins the understatement of the year prize
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom