Berlinah Wallace gets away with murder

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ICBM said:

She's lucky this is not Iran, where the punishment for a crime involving injury or death can be the imposition of the same.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/03/iran-blind-acid-attack-woman-retribution-punishment/
    I've been highly critical of sharia law in the past but a case like this makes me think the punishment should fit the crime.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    I've been highly critical of sharia law in the past but a case like this makes me think the punishment should fit the crime.
    Oh no, another one falls victim to lefty Moozlim propaganda. Wait until the username changes to Phil_aka_AbdulAlSalahuddin. Supermosque in Suffolk, here we come. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    She was found guilty of throwing acid with intent, which is exactly what the evidence suggests. She didn't kill him, the acid didn't kill him - he killed himself. 
    That may be the bare facts according to the law.
    ...Otherwise known as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  You can’t really complain that the law isn’t considering things that aren’t the “bare facts” surely ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Based on previous acid attacks she’ll get between 10 and 25 years. Probably the lower.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    She was found guilty of throwing acid with intent, which is exactly what the evidence suggests. She didn't kill him, the acid didn't kill him - he killed himself. 
    ...Otherwise known as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  You can’t really complain that the law isn’t considering things that aren’t the “bare facts” surely ?
    ... which has not considered the consequence of those bare facts. I draw your attention again to the cases of teenagers bullying each other online and talking their victims into committing suicide. By your argument the bullies would be blameless because they didn't actually kill their victims.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Emp_Fab said:
    ... which has not considered the consequence of those bare facts. I draw your attention again to the cases of teenagers bullying each other online and talking their victims into committing suicide. By your argument the bullies would be blameless because they didn't actually kill their victims.

And what charge did those teenagers receive for their part in these suicides? 

@Heartfeltdawn I've no idea. Maybe nothing, maybe something that doesn't really add up to anything that represents the serious nature of what they did. However by Emp_Fab's argument they would be blameless, and I can't agree with that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

The problem is the law itself and the charges that had been placed against her. The woman was up on a charge of murder and manslaughter. She was acquitted of both as there wasn't enough evidence to prove either. She did not murder him so that charge can't be proven. A charge of manslaughter would be closer to the mark but his eventual death was his own choice. She was fond guilty of one charge that stuck, now we have to wait for the sentence. 

I don't believe Emp thinks she was blameless. His initial post disagrees with the notion that she got away with murder as did the jury. 

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9501
    mellowsun said:
    Based on previous acid attacks she’ll get between 10 and 25 years. Probably the lower.
    If you read the accounts in the Guardian article for instance, this seems quite different to previous acid attacks I’ve read about. The results on the poor guy were totally devastating.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    mellowsun said:
    If you read the accounts in the Guardian article for instance, this seems quite different to previous acid attacks I’ve read about. The results on the poor guy were totally devastating.
    She used a much more powerful acid. Most acid attacks are drain cleaner which itself is nasty stuff but she used sulphuric acid.
    mellowsun said:
    The words of the detective leading the case in the local Bristol press were indicative of the unusually severe and horrific nature of this incident. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/detective-describes-harrowing-case-unbelievably-1580089

I do not think the lower sentence will apply here. 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    What a fucking cunt of a woman.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    Bucket said:
    What a fucking cunt of a woman.
    Wis'd.

Fucking disgrace. 
    Life with a minimum term of 12 years. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-44222057

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    There was never going to be an outcome to this where I thought, that's long enough

12 years seem nothing to me after what she did. I can't see it any other way, she needs to rot.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Garthy said:
    What ever sentence she recieves will not be enough. If you hacked off someone’s face with a knife you’d be detained indefinitely, she did the same with a corrosive so she should be excluded from society indefinitely too.
    Told you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    joeyowen said:

12 years seem nothing to me after what she did. I can't see it any other way, she needs to rot.
    And she may - it's a life sentence with a minimum, the same as would sometimes be given for murder, and which is more than has ever been given for an acid attack before. The average minimum for murder is about fifteen years I think.

Whether she gets out after that is up to the parole board - although they don't have a good track record about that going by one recent headline case, I suspect that may now change. If she is thought to still present a threat she won't get out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

I did say she's got way with it didn't I
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Yes, but you were wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Yes, but you were wrong.
    nah. 12 years after what she did is getting away with it. life meaning life wouldn't be getting away with it