Musicians Hearing Scheme - Professional moulded earplugs worth £170 for £40

What's Hot

Comments

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I too went for bright red, because my other half (also a musician) would probably go for clear or purple.

Also, If i accidentally drop a clear one I might never find the bastard!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2988
    I went for light blue. Not so inconspicuous I'll lose them BUT still don't stand out on pictures/videos too much
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    simonk said:
    It turns out the plugs you get are actually ACS Pros. I already have some Pro 17’s which had started to get uncomfortable as the impressions were taken about 8 years ago.
    Hey @simonk (and anybody else whose earplugs become uncomfortable over time). I have a 16 year-old set or ER-15s used for motorcycle rides and sleeping in noisy places, which fit fine. 

But the left one of newer Pro 17s started feeling uncomfortable.  Turns out I had a tiny, hard bit of wax in my ear.  It was was found and taken out during an examination and the earplugs fit fine since.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    edited May 2018
    Just had my application accepted.... 

Will have to go to London for my appointment though. I can't seem to get it out of my head that going to London is a bit like going up Satan's arse. Maybe not as nice...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    Wish I'd seen this before.  Just paid full price at ACS yesterday.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1645
    merlin said:

Will have to go to London for my appointment though. I can't seem to get it out of my head that going to London is a bit like going up Satan's arse. Maybe not as nice...
    I've been accepted too.. Manchester nearest for me..

I can't help but feel like I'm about to be duped...

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I couldn’t see a list of locations - is there any guidance where it can be done?
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2988
    merlin said:

I've been accepted too.. Manchester nearest for me..

I can't help but feel like I'm about to be duped...

I had been told I had to do Manchester but I waited it out and they eventually put on a Leeds event. 

Definitely not being duped. Best decision I made was using them. Not affiliated... Just sound like it! 
  • Got mine a few weeks ago. Great plugs at a bargain price and a hearing test to boot. Awesome scheme. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    What are the chances of an average gigging guitarist  getting accepted on this scheme? Averaging a gig a week at the moment. 
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
    rico said:
    What are the chances of an average gigging guitarist  getting accepted on this scheme? Averaging a gig a week at the moment. 
    High. All you need is two sources to 'prove' you're a musician, like a website and a soundcloud etc.

Glad to see everyone is enjoying the fruits of my discovery! Mine are still going strong :)

For anyone with any doubts about applying: they can only turn you down. You have nothing to lose. Even if you are only a 'bedroom' guitarist it's still worth making an application
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I've been accepted but heard nothing more since then. What's the timescale? Booked an appointment with GP to get my ears done but I have to wait until the 6th of June to see the doctor about making an appointment with the nurse! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    rico said:
    You're gigging more regularly than me and I got accepted.

Admittedly, I don't have an online presence to link to, so had the Head of Performing Arts at the school I teach at write a reference for me.
    I've been accepted but heard nothing more since then. What's the timescale? Booked an appointment with GP to get my ears done but I have to wait until the 6th of June to see the doctor about making an appointment with the nurse! 
    They got in touch with me pretty quickly, but mainly because they had one of their people near me in the upcoming fortnight.  Might be worth giving them a call/email?
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Wooo, just got accepted.

Am already over-thinking on filter choice. My gut feeling is that if I pick too high a -dB then playing would be so unenjoyable that I'd never wear them at all.  

I'm sure they'll have advice though. 
    KKJale said:
    Wooo, just got accepted.

Am already over-thinking on filter choice. My gut feeling is that if I pick too high a -dB then playing would be so unenjoyable that I'd never wear them at all.  

I'm sure they'll have advice though. 
    They have a 30 day return policy for fitment and filters which is handy - but I'd recommend the Pro17s. They're pretty evenly attenuated across the frequency range.
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    Just been approved.  Anyone know if these can be fitted onto IEM earphones?
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    Perhaps I was too honest - I applied for this but was denied when I admitted that I don't make over 50% of my income from music (which is in the eligibility criteria). Despite gigging in 2 bands one of which has a horn section making for a loud environment.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    I just called and made my appointment, which is at the end of July as I'm too busy to take a day in London before then. If you're an MU Member it's £30 not £40 plus £4 shipping. Can't be bad. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Just applied, fingers crossed!