Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    edited April 2018
    I've been listening to the new Sleep record which the internet (well, the doom/stoner part of it) is going absolutely bonkers over.

Always found Sleep a bit overrated tbh but to their credit this new album is sounding fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    quarky said:
    New Blackstone Cherry album. What a fucking disappointment that is. 
    Really? Just ordered it this morning on Amazon... 

Wasn't hugely impressed with Kentucky, but like the previous ones.
    It really pains me to say it. I didn't like Kentucky either. They hyped it all up saying "We really went back to our roots" and whatever other crap bands spout about their latest creation these days (every time) and I thought oooh yah it'll be like the first 2 albums! And yet it came out sounding more like "Between the Devil..." full of cliched lyrics, radio-friendly rock songs, etc. 

Admittedly I was impressed by the two singles released prior to the album, but the album doesn't continue in that vein. It's not edgy enough. The songs don't land a lasting impression for me. I don't remember any songs from Family Tree or Kentucky. 

I'd rate their best two albums as Folklore & Superstition and Magic Mountain. I really loved Magic Mountain because it was a bounce-back from that radio friendly nonsense they put out on "Between the Devil..." and it was just hard and heavy songs like the first two albums again. Then they did Kentucky, and now this goes back to somewhere between radio friendly cheesy southern rock and 70s rock but without the riffs and the songs to hold it in stead. 

But that's just my opinion of course @quarky - Let us know what you think when you've listened to it... 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited April 2018
    Dopesick said:
    I've been listening to the new Sleep record which the internet (well, the doom/stoner part of it) is going absolutely bonkers over.

Always found Sleep a bit overrated tbh but to their credit this new album is sounding fantastic.
    I didn't know there was a new Sleep album, perhaps I need to figure out where the doom/stoner part of the internet is.... I shall have a listen.

(Edit:  I started listening and nodded off.  Nothing to do with the music, I was just really tired.... but I fell asleep to Sleep)
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    edited April 2018
    Listening to a lot of Soundgarden lately and wondering what happened to good, unpretentious, rock music. I'm sure it's still out there, I think as I got older I lost my regular channels/sources for new music intake.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    quarky said:

It really pains me to say it. I didn't like Kentucky either. They hyped it all up saying "We really went back to our roots" and whatever other crap bands spout about their latest creation these days (every time) and I thought oooh yah it'll be like the first 2 albums! And yet it came out sounding more like "Between the Devil..." full of cliched lyrics, radio-friendly rock songs, etc. 

Admittedly I was impressed by the two singles released prior to the album, but the album doesn't continue in that vein. It's not edgy enough. The songs don't land a lasting impression for me. I don't remember any songs from Family Tree or Kentucky. 

I'd rate their best two albums as Folklore & Superstition and Magic Mountain. I really loved Magic Mountain because it was a bounce-back from that radio friendly nonsense they put out on "Between the Devil..." and it was just hard and heavy songs like the first two albums again. Then they did Kentucky, and now this goes back to somewhere between radio friendly cheesy southern rock and 70s rock but without the riffs and the songs to hold it in stead. 

But that's just my opinion of course @quarky - Let us know what you think when you've listened to it... 
    but at their best, Black Stone Cherry utterly rock - may they find a path back!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

Last night and this morning I listened to the new Decemberists album.

I'm a big fan, but it's not a patch on at least three of their previous albums, so it's a bit of a disappointment so far, and may well prove to be a big disappointment.

In a similar way to the last Rilo Kiley album it feels like Decemberists-by-numbers with no real life to it, just a shiny outer shell with nothing inside. 

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited April 2018
    Anyone listened to the new A Perfect Circle album? 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287

Therapy? Nurse 

Therapy? Troublegum

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Back on the Alpha Blondy back catalogue , this particular track is based on a Band of Gypsies song ( the name of which escapes me):

https://youtu.be/aOvZw0GdwKE
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    quarky said:

So I have been listening to it (and Welcome to the World by Massive Wagons) back to back over the past few days, and actually, I like it. 

Magic Mountain is probably my favourite (or their first), but I think I like Magic Mountain because it still has the radio-friendly catchiness (songs like "Fiesta Del Fuego", "Dance Girl", "Hollywood in Kentucky", but serious songs too. It just seems better done though than songs like "Whitetrash millionaire". 

This album is closer to Magic Mountain, than to Kentucky. Kentucky doesn't really have many memorable catchy tracks (Soul Machine was OK). This album, even after only a few days, just sticks in the memory more. Songs like "Burnin'", "Southern Fried Friday Feeling", still feel like great rock, but some of the blues influence is there in spades in their other tracks too. My Last Breath makes my sit up and listen every time. Family Tree is a great finish with a typical Southern Rock feel. I keep reaching for my Stars and Bars (well, I might if I had one).

A definite improvement on Kentucky, although given I have listened to this album more already, maybe I owe Kentucky another chance.. 

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    This guy seems to have completely passed me by, Spotify threw him at me. Jon Hopkins

https://open.spotify.com/album/1nvzBC1M3dlCMIxfUCBhlO?si=3RdPXNT7ROyz2NX1P2EZiA
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    edited May 2018
    U2.... more specifically ‘Heartland’ which I’ve been having a stab at learning.

https://youtu.be/UFjxntUCit8
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    This guy seems to have completely passed me by, Spotify threw him at me. Jon Hopkins

The new album is absolutely outstanding, as was the last one
    Stop crying, start buying
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027

@Flink_Poyd I love the work he's done with King Creosote too:
    Bats In The Attic

• Finally found a copy in decent condition, had to pay £15 for it but it is a triple album so not too bad..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Played this three times already today :-)
    Slow lilting electro pulse and lush dreamy harmonies...
    Wovoka Gentle, "Branscombe"

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    This. My favourite singer, guesting on the new album (out today) of one of my favourite bands. Didn't know Anneke was recording this track so it was a pleasant surprise to see it pop up on YT this morning. Fabulous track.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Little Barrie's Death Express. Very much enjoying the riffs and drums approach. Some lovely fuzz on it too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I don’t normally do very well with charity shop bargains but at the weekend got Roots by Curtis Mayfield for £1. I’m not really one for the OTT arrangements but he was a talented dude. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    Peter, Bjorn and John - Writer’s Block. Haven’t listened to it in ages. Forgot what a great album it is. My daughter loves the whistling. 

Zero Seven - The Garden. One of my favourite albums on a sunny day. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to