PSA: SVL 61 Reserve on ebay

What's Hot
BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
Not sure what the general consensus is on SVL around here but one has just popped up on eBay... except it’s based in South Africa!

Big fan on Matt Schofield but they do seem like very expensive/high end parts-casters.

Any experiences?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Don't see them pop up very often but £3100 plus £150 delivery? Er........no.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1595
    Apparently Simon Law is the man when it comes to all things Fender (even though he’s obviously not Fender). 

I have always looked at his guitars and thought that theyd be wonderful. A friend bought one and it is wonderful. But it’s a big asking price isn’t it. 

That said, is SVL the Fender equivalent of Gill Yaron?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    SidNewton said:
    Don't see them pop up very often but £3100 plus £150 delivery? Er........no.
    Yeah I know. That can't be far off what they paid for it.
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    its still for sale.

aren't they cheaper if you did order new?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Indeed they are. What's the wait time now though? A year plus?
  • They aren’t partscasters - Simon builds them entirely himself. 

Bear in mind his track record - Matt Schofield FOH engineer, Robben Ford’s Guitar tech, Pete Townshend’s amp tech - he knows a bit about tone. 

A couple of mates of mine have SVLs and they love them. 
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    If you look at his facebook page he's recently offered a few for sale on there. They sell pretty quick.
  • Simon is great at what he does but I am under the belief he buys the bodies in and necks in rather than makes them himself. Yaron makes everything himself in house.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3036
    Simon is great at what he does but I am under the belief he buys the bodies in and necks in rather than makes them himself. Yaron makes everything himself in house.
    From his website, he appears to build everything himself. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

R.
  • Simon is great at what he does but I am under the belief he buys the bodies in and necks in rather than makes them himself. Yaron makes everything himself in house.
    From his website, he appears to build everything himself. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

R.

Just checked the website - no where does it say he builds the bodies and necks. But does it really matter if he builds them himself or not? As long as they are good quality which by all accounts they are very good quality.
  • Reckless1Reckless1 Frets: 8
    Simon hand builds his own bodies and necks. His guitars are second to none - I've seen many that he's built over the years I've known him. ( he's also a brilliant amp tech )
    "You play an accordian, you go to prison - that’s the law…."  
  • vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
    These look amazing and people always have nothing but praise about them (excluding comments on the price)... 

when things like this come up (premium price/top end guitars) it always makes me think if its worth just paying extra for a Fender Masterbuilt or ordering your exact spec and just waiting... 
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    Has anyone played one? I played one years ago and it was really nice! He has priced it hard so do you go for a fender name instead or SVL? They do look quality his facebook page. His strats look better than his teles

But then there are builders like Danocaster too. This they work out quite a bit cheaper. 

Anyone have prices for SVL guitars now? 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6677
    I played one this week, funnily enough. Very nice. Not mind blowingly better than my 2006 Classic Player 60s Strat tbh but that happens to be an amazing instrument and better than the custom shop Strat dlx I'd had previous to it. 

Neck was a gorgeous bit of maple. Pickups had been changed out so not fair to comment on those but it played beautifully. 

I thought it was about £1500. Would have been well worth it. For £3,000 I'd personally go for something else. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • I’ve played two and they were very good. Personally I prefer some of the Fender Custom Shop Guitars I have owned but I am in a minority locally! 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    edited June 2018
    Well I bet there can't be many in S.A. so that probably explains the cost

I'd be interested to try one and compare to my bravewood.
  • Reckless1 said:
    Simon hand builds his own bodies and necks. His guitars are second to none - I've seen many that he's built over the years I've known him. ( he's also a brilliant amp tech )
    In that case - I stand corrected
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I got talking about guitars to the foh guy at a schofield gig in sevenoaks. Id never heard of the brand and i was asking what the guitars were ? not realizing i was talking  to the builder, he was a really friendly and imformative guy, even after my ignorance !:) 
    Never had a chance  to play one but iv heard nothing but good things. 

But... 3000+ ? Wow
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    A mate of mine who ordered one not that long ago was pretty sure he’s now outsourced the production of the bodies and necks. SVL then assembles, sets up and ships out. I guess he could be wrong though. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3036
    I asked him directly if he made his own bodies and necks. He replied "A lot of the time, yes".