Rexter Guitars - custom painting, restoration & refinishing

What's Hot

Comments

• colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
    Really liking that 'Charcoal Frost Metallic'. Is that a colour you can do so you can see the grain through it...?

I have a black MIJ E series strat that I'd be interested having re-finished eventually. if I send the body to you, how much is it for a refinish?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Really liking that 'Charcoal Frost Metallic'. Is that a colour you can do so you can see the grain through it...?

I have a black MIJ E series strat that I'd be interested having re-finished eventually. if I send the body to you, how much is it for a refinish?
    Hey there, thanks! I'm guessing you mean the 'sunken grain' kind of look, rather than a transparent finish?

It's not my normal way of doing metallics, as to look best (in the conventional sense I guess) they really should have a super-flat 100% perfect primer coat beneath them as they show every imperfection, bump, high spot in the layer below and cannot be sanded flat. I tend to treat my primer layers as if they were the final layer of clear (OCD anybody?) for metallics so the finishes come out flat with no grain visible.

But I'm always happy to work with people to achieve the look they want - so it's possible to shoot the metallic over a thinner layer of sealer so that the finish hugs the pattern of the grain and it is visible beneath. Shoot me some pics of what you're thinking if you like and we can talk! Cheers
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    This one is a long way from my usual M.O but had fun doing it! Brief was for a very heavy relic in the style of Dale Wilson's work for the Fender Custom Shop.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Beautiful aged Firemist Silver JM in the works...

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 168
    Stunning - would have guessed it was Ice Metallic blue !

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    rexter said:

That. Is. Perfect.

Oh my....
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

tFB Trader
    Thanks @impmann - yeah this is kind of my ultimate JM, definitely one of my favourite colours. I will miss it when it heads off to the customer... 

It's aged LPB cousin is now home pre-assembly too... BTW the hardware on these is not aged by me, it's perhaps a little more dirty than I would do it - it's MJT stuff I got in a trade with a body.

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Oh my days, these Jazzmasters are stunning, especially the LPB one. Hmmm....it's a big birthday of mine this year.....
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    rexter said:

That is gorgeous, what colour is the jazzmaster peeping out the right hand corner with the anodised guard, that looks rather super too?
    tFB Trader
    rexter said:

That is gorgeous, what colour is the jazzmaster peeping out the right hand corner with the anodised guard, that looks rather super too?
    Thank you! @Teyeplayer! That's my Sherwood Green (from @SteveRobinson I think) custom built JM. It has 1.5" thick poplar body - so more akin to a Mustang in that respect - vintage 1970s Fender pickups and various other old parts. Repro goldguard made by @andrewaward. It's been with me longer than any other guitar I've owned, over 10 years now and will never sell it. It's just an amazing guitar, resonant, a dream to play and the most tuning stable guitar I've ever owned - even with ridiculous trem use. Back when I was playing in bands and it was sporting 3 vintage Dearmond pickups, Adam Granduciel from the War on Drugs developed a minor obsession with it while we were supporting them in the UK.

It was made by a guy called Ben who sometimes goes under the guise of http://www.motorik.co.uk/. He's supremely talented craftsman and has built some amazing guitars, included painstakingly accurate recreations of vintage Yamahas and some gorgeous Jaguars and Jazzmasters. He's one of the old time regulars on offsetguitars.com (username - theworkoffire) which is how I met him and snagged this guitar. There are some of his build threads in the Library section there which are always worth a read!

Probably posted this before, but any excuse...

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    rexter said:
    rexter said:

Thank you! @Teyeplayer! That's my Sherwood Green (from @SteveRobinson I think) custom built JM. It has 1.5" thick poplar body - so more akin to a Mustang in that respect - vintage 1970s Fender pickups and various other old parts. Repro goldguard made by @andrewaward. It's been with me longer than any other guitar I've owned, over 10 years now and will never sell it. It's just an amazing guitar, resonant, a dream to play and the most tuning stable guitar I've ever owned - even with ridiculous trem use. Back when I was playing in bands and it was sporting 3 vintage Dearmond pickups, Adam Granduciel from the War on Drugs developed a minor obsession with it while we were supporting them in the UK.

It was made by a guy called Ben who sometimes goes under the guise of http://www.motorik.co.uk/. He's supremely talented craftsman and has built some amazing guitars, included painstakingly accurate recreations of vintage Yamahas and some gorgeous Jaguars and Jazzmasters. He's one of the old time regulars on offsetguitars.com (username - theworkoffire) which is how I met him and snagged this guitar. There are some of his build threads in the Library section there which are always worth a read!

Probably posted this before, but any excuse...

I’ll have to check him out, that’s a work of art! 
    tFB Trader
    He is indeed an artist with a router! A lot of great builders on that forum.

These bodies are all in my queue to be finished and are made by another offsetguitars.com member who should be launching his brand this year - building some truly lovely models. Will be working with him to develop the Rexter Guitars models as I don't want to be limited to Fender repro parts. Watch this space!

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    edited May 2018
    Out of interest, could you remove two marks on the bottom of an LP which were caused by the rubber used on the stand reacting with the nitro finish.  About half an inch wide and the thickness of the body?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited May 2018
    I've just taken delivery of 3 Tone Sunburst Relic Strat body, very nice indeed, thanks!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    I've just taken delivery of 3 Tone Sunburst Relic Strat body, very nice indeed, thanks!
    Hey Paul thanks ever so much for that - really glad you like it! Will be cool to see what you do with it!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • DazkeirleDazkeirle Frets: 0
    Hey rexter, joined here just to reply to you. Would love a black with gold flake job done on a warmoth strat body I have. Something you could do? How do I go about this?
    tFB Trader
    Dazkeirle said:
    Hey rexter, joined here just to reply to you. Would love a black with gold flake job done on a warmoth strat body I have. Something you could do? How do I go about this?
    Hey hey, thanks for the message, I'm honoured! It's a great forum to be on so welcome!

Will reply to you on PM about the flake job more specifically, but relating to flake jobs in general ...

... I've just signed a lease on a new workshop which will take me from a tiny storage unit up to about 1,000 sq feet of space with multiple rooms, meaning I can have a completely bespoke and separate spray room, drying room and mix room and also separate booths for sparkle and metal flake jobs which contaminate the main spray area too much to handle right now. In fact I will probably take along my existing spray booth that I built and use that as the flake booth. Should mean I can handle way more jobs without tripping over myself every two minutes. Big workshop space for all the messy routing, sanding and other associated jobs that can be kept nicely isolated from the paint areas too. 

The move won't be until August and will take a few weeks of set up time but by late Summer I'm hoping I'll be pretty much set for anything in a solid space where I can really grow things.

Sorry I haven't been on here that much lately, been manically trying to catch up with all outstanding jobs and juggle a load of other things as normal - apologies to anyone I owe a reply to! 

And just so this is not just an incredibly long boring post without and pictures here are a few things I've been up to lately:

Another LPB... Jaguar this time, off to Canada:

Nice 50s burst to replace one that had a nasty fall and got damaged ... Relic "Brownie" body for sale soon! 

Custom Shop Strat refinished in a lightly aged Surf Green - flying back to Dubai tomorrow:

Finally buffed out the Mahogany Jazzmaster, think I'm going to turn it into a Jazzblaster:

Roasted Ash... satin finish, dark grainfiller:

Also finally buffed this one:

Mixed up some custom paint for a cool job... this crazy little take on the Fender Custom/Maverick currently has a Desert Sand undercoat...

And Raph want's it this colour on top, with lots of heavy wear and checking:

So I mixed him up some paint:

And lots to get on with...

If you made it this far down, thanks! I'll disappear for a week or two now... =)

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Roasted Ash! Oh yes please... 
    tFB Trader
    Fuengi said:
    have been finishing a few roasted bodies lately. The ash plays nicely, lovely to work with. Im finding roasted poplar a bit of a fussy wood for painting. Very light, looks lovely, but very very thirsty and rough endgrain ... not sure what to make of it really
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 183
    Fuengi said:
    rexter said:
    Fuengi said:
    have been finishing a few roasted bodies lately. The ash plays nicely, lovely to work with. Im finding roasted poplar a bit of a fussy wood for painting. Very light, looks lovely, but very very thirsty and rough endgrain ... not sure what to make of it really

Does look very nice with the dark grain fill
    Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist