Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272

Huge range of style (considering it's all 'country', whatever that means), fantastic musicianship throughout, and not a dud on there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Started off with some Kinks then moved on to Lizard - King Crimson’s third album (1970). Less of a rock album and closer to jazz in the main. Makes me want to go out and find a Mellotron player. What a fantastic sound that thing made. I think EHX  make a pedal that will approximate it... but that’s cheating imo. I want a Mellotron player! (Cloak and sideburns optional)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Richie Kotzen - what a voice.

I forgot about this one

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    Marcus King Band - only heard of him a few weeks back, Great player and not a bad singer 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Kebabkid said:
    Richie Kotzen - what a voice.

I forgot about this one

I bought the album when it first came out, but I've never seen that video before.  Manic!

I don't like all his records - they're pretty diverse - but I am a fan.  And his singing's even better than hos guitar playing.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    One of Leicesters finest, Rival Consoles.

https://soundcloud.com/rivalconsoles
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited May 2018
    Finally found a copy in decent condition, had to pay £15 for it but it is a triple album so not too bad..

If you’re a fan of The Band, it’s definitrly worth buying Robbie Robertson’s autobiography ‘Testimony’. The man can really tell a story....
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Eat it! 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    INXS Kick 30th anniversary edition @Skarloey . All the b sides, mixes and leftovers. Very nostalgic for me... bloody 30 years.. pfft.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096

Aye, the new record is splendid. That, Singularity by Jon Hopkins, and anything touched by Jon Spencer has been on the music player a lot recently. 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096

Also, Sci-fi Lullabies by Suede, the b-sides collection. Damn I should have got this 20 years ago, I loved early Suede and was familiar with My Insatiable One but had not heard other b-sides. The Bernard Butler songs are just go good, as good if not better than some of the 'proper' album tracks, and that's saying something.  Incredible guitar player; I find it very very difficult to work out his parts. Not so sure about the songs post Butler; I've never really got into Suede post Bernard.

@MagicPigDetective When I saw Bernard on the McAlmont and Butler anniversary tour, I felt very pleased with myself as I'd taught myself how to play the first record and found I wasn't that wrong watching Bernard hammer them out. Whereas Johnny Marr is all about inventive chords and rhythmic picking, Bernard to me is about quite basic chords but finding lovely flourishes around those chords and when linking them together. Something like the twiddly bit in Yes (Watch the below thingy from about 3.40 onwards)

I'd recommend finding the Dog Man Star TAB book and going through that. Once you get an idea of how Bernard does it, it helps with all the stuff he's played on. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Last night I went to see EUROPE. They were excellent. John Norum is a phenomenal guitarist. In fact, the whole band are excellent musicians. Norum is severely underrated, as are Europe as a band... His playing is mind-boggling.

Admittedly, I'm a fan of all 3 'sides' of Europe.
    There's the early days... songs about ninjas and instrumental tracks with Norwegian titles...
    The glory days (The Final Countdown/Out of This World/Prisoners albums)
    And the latter days e.g. Start from the Dark, War of Kings...

They played a mixed set. The only albums they didn't call upon being Start From the Dark and Secret Society which is disappointing because I love Start From the Dark.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409

Aye, the new record is splendid. That, Singularity by Jon Hopkins, and anything touched by Jon Spencer has been on the music player a lot recently. 
    Agreed on both Jon Hopkins and Rival Consoles

The new Daniel Avery is fantastic too and in a similar vein
    Stop crying, start buying
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited May 2018

Also, Sci-fi Lullabies by Suede, the b-sides collection. Damn I should have got this 20 years ago, I loved early Suede and was familiar with My Insatiable One but had not heard other b-sides. The Bernard Butler songs are just go good, as good if not better than some of the 'proper' album tracks, and that's saying something.  Incredible guitar player; I find it very very difficult to work out his parts. Not so sure about the songs post Butler; I've never really got into Suede post Bernard.

@MagicPigDetective When I saw Bernard on the McAlmont and Butler anniversary tour, I felt very pleased with myself as I'd taught myself how to play the first record and found I wasn't that wrong watching Bernard hammer them out. Whereas Johnny Marr is all about inventive chords and rhythmic picking, Bernard to me is about quite basic chords but finding lovely flourishes around those chords and when linking them together. Something like the twiddly bit in Yes (Watch the below thingy from about 3.40 onwards)

I'd recommend finding the Dog Man Star TAB book and going through that. Once you get an idea of how Bernard does it, it helps with all the stuff he's played on. 

Cool, thanks for the pointers, I need to dedicate some time to this and tune down to Eb.

My recent listens are new albums by Sleep, Perfect Circle, khruangbin, Manics, and The Hunter by Mastodon which I had manged to miss until last week. 

Want to check out Singularity and Stephen Malkmus’ new record 
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Got my Nakamichi rolling again, quite enjoyed Bloodstone Unreal ,801 Live  first time listening..

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Lots of early Toto.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Many hours of ambient sound to study to:

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Moss said:

Agreed on both Jon Hopkins and Rival Consoles

The new Daniel Avery is fantastic too and in a similar vein
    Do you think hes been listening to Aphex Twin? ;)
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

I don't always enjoy listening to them, but I seem to be in a Graveyard mood tonight.