Possibly the worst sound on record?

What's Hot

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    I’ve always found Paloma Faith’s voice unbearable. As much as I want to like her, albeit in pop terms, a few songs in and I feel like I’m being shouted at.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I know this won't win me any more friends either, but I'd probably have to nominate Richard Thompson's Strat sound as well - it's so bad it's actually distracting enough that it stops me enjoying (which I otherwise would) his playing. I can normally listen to music without the sound getting in the way, but with him it's really hard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    @ICBM Totally agree with you regarding Roy Buchanan and Richard Thompson. I actually quite like some of RT's work though :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    ICBM said:
    I know this won't win me any more friends either, but I'd probably have to nominate Richard Thompson's Strat sound as well - it's so bad it's actually distracting enough that it stops me enjoying (which I otherwise would) his playing. I can normally listen to music without the sound getting in the way, but with him it's really hard.
    I came to Richard Thompson relatively late and didn’t understand this as his sound in recent years is fairly mainstream. However, when I started going back to things like Shoot Out the Lights I got what you were on about. I still like them but you have to turn a deaf ear to the guitar tone to do so. 

I can’t think of my own nomination, I’ve liked a lot of odd stuff over the years. I was thinking about Sonny Sharrock today and he recorded a few things that could clear rooms but I still love em. This is something from the period he was recording with his wife, at the time, Lynda Sharrock

https://youtu.be/yfsgmPMgT-I

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    beed84 said:
    I’ve always found Paloma Faith’s voice unbearable. As much as I want to like her, albeit in pop terms, a few songs in and I feel like I’m being shouted at.
    I've always wanted to like Paloma Faith.

Well actually something more intimate than that.

I've lost my train of thought.

Carry on.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    beed84 said:
    I've always wanted to like Paloma Faith.

Well actually something more intimate than that.

I've lost my train of thought.

Carry on.
    I could cope with her shouting as well
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    ICBM said:
    Good call. RTs early stuff in particular can be very shrill on record. By Mock Tudor, I think it had been sorted for something easier on the ear. His acoustic stuff always sounds good to my ears. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Cliona Hagan is more of a screecher than a singer, yet her songs go down very well in nightclubs. But there is no way I would listen to her music on a half decent music replay system. Absolutely not.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
    Supertramp.

Just...Supertramp.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    the slide on Layla
    Any of Vernon Reid's solos. 
    Alex Hutchinson
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    The voice of Rufus Wainwright

Any acoustic guitar recorded with Pizo pickup

Early 90's Indie bands with Stingray bass 'cutting through' the mix and bass drum EQ'd to fill out the low end. 
    Lodious said:

Any acoustic guitar recorded with Pizo pickup
    There is a lot of truth in that. I've given away two 90s live albums (Indigo Girls' 1200 Curfews and Warren Zevon's Learning To Flinch) because the 'acoustic' guitar sounds made them unlistenable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Bruce Springsteen and his horribly over-produced, too many instruments all playing the same thing wall of sound rubbish and his shouty vocals and especially the awful saxophone (sorry Clarence, but it was shite).

Bob Dylan's voice. 

+1 for Richard Thompson's position 4 Strat "sound". Awful. 

I'd also add Jerry Donahue and his hilariously awful bends. 

Right, time for my meds. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited May 2018
    Grime.

In particular, street grime.

Giving barely literate, completely inarticulate English teenagers that think they're black American gangsters a Samsung smart phone to record their particular brand of shite on is one thing. Letting them then upload the results to soundcloud so my students can stream it in the car is inexcusable and should result in the death penalty. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Grime.

In particular, street grime.

Giving barely literate, completely inarticulate English teenagers that think they're black American gangsters a Samsung smart phone to record their particular brand of shite on is one thing. Letting them then upload the results to soundcloud so my students can stream it in the car is inexcusable and should result in the death penalty. 
    Conversation in my car with a student listening to said shite the other day: 

Student: "This guy's inside now" 

Me: "I'm not surprised, I wouldn't get away with passing this off as English either"

Student: "Fuck you! You're just old and don't understand street language. He's doing 15 years for stabbing someone" 

Me: "So he's tried two careers; music and crime, and been bloody awful at both of them. What do you think he'll try next?" 

Student : "Fuck you" 

Me : *sniggers* 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    The D.I'd guitar solo on Moonlight Shadow. Painful.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Clare Grogan's vocal on Altered Images' Bring Me Closer.  Eat my shorts!

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929

The guitar sound on New Order's 'Everything's Gone Green'. Horrible

miserneil said:
    The D.I'd guitar solo on Moonlight Shadow. Painful.
    That’s what Mike Oldfield’s guitars always sound like - I don’t think he’s ever used a conventional amp. It’s utterly unique and his music wouldn’t be the same without it, but I know what you mean :). I love it and hate it equally.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Any “tone” emanating from the finger tips of Eric “vastly overrated” Clapton...

while Im at it, Bonamassa can do one as well!...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom