Wireless guitar transceivers ?

What's Hot

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Sent smooth hound an email suggestion for a semi/archtop version with altered jack so it will lie flat on 335's etc.  Such a small tweak would be awesome and not only be good for those with mainly 335's but those who are buying one for more than one guitar.

its so bloody good i wish they'd turn their had to a wee plug in module for a mic as well with phantom switch.  A small module you can plug into any xlr mic of choice with similar sound quality would be bloody brill.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Line 6 G30 user here - used it for many a year and aside from the crappy battery clip (bless duct tape) all good

A punter at a gig the other week asked me why I use it as I'm no more than 3 feet from my rig.

Cos it's rock and roll was my answer!!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited May 2018
    David5150 said:

A punter at a gig the other week asked me why I use it as I'm no more than 3 feet from my rig.

Nice to know you can knee slide across the floor should the opportunity arise though innit?!

It also ensures you won’t get any electric shocks from the dodgy wiring down the Dog and Duck...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I use a Shure GLX16. Used it last Friday and walked around the crowd. Great fun and they loved it. Expensive but good and reliable 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited May 2018
    David5150 said:

Line 6 G30 user here - used it for many a year and aside from the crappy battery clip (bless duct tape) all goodA punter at a gig the other week asked me why I use it as I'm no more than 3 feet from my rig.Cos it's rock and roll was my answer!!

G30 user here.  I use rubber bands instead of duck tape -- same fix though.
    Why use wireless?
    Crappy pub electrics.  I have no idea when the last guitarist actually went belly up cos of faulty electrics but with wireless it can't happen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    David5150 said:

Cos you won’t find you've been knitting with the bass players lead and/or your singers mic lead, or wrapped it round a microphone stand, and the other guitarist can’t tread on your lead and either silence your guitar or rip the jack socket out.

Seriously, just eliminating a bit of on-stage clutter makes it worthwhile...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Grunfeld said:
    David5150 said:

Line 6 G30 user here - used it for many a year and aside from the crappy battery clip (bless duct tape) all goodA punter at a gig the other week asked me why I use it as I'm no more than 3 feet from my rig.Cos it's rock and roll was my answer!!

G30 user here.  I use rubber bands instead of duck tape -- same fix though.
    Why use wireless?
    Crappy pub electrics.  I have no idea when the last guitarist actually went belly up cos of faulty electrics but with wireless it can't happen.
    It's not foolproof tbh, if your guitar signal goes down because of a catastrophically dangerous amp fault the first thing you're gonna do is go over there and start wiggling metal jack connectors, but at least you won't have your lips against a mic at the same time I guess.  

I too love my G10 in tiny pubs because it gets rid of the clutter under my feet. Having a long lead behind me on big stages has never bothered me that much. 
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118
    JayGee said:
    David5150 said:

Cos you won’t find you've been knitting with the bass players lead and/or your singers mic lead, or wrapped it round a microphone stand, and the other guitarist can’t tread on your lead and either silence your guitar or rip the jack socket out.

Seriously, just eliminating a bit of on-stage clutter makes it worthwhile...

Agree 100%. My biggest bug bearer at gigs is I'm always the one standing in what looks like a nest of cables as I have the mixing desk by me.

Singer has recently gotten a wireless mic and he's always taking a stroll out into the 'crowd' for a bit of a singalong. I've gotten into the habit of wandering out and trying to grab a seat with the most attractive girls when we do a few chilled out numbers. Why girls you ask......because their drinks mostly have straws so they can feed me booze while I'm playing (assuming I haven't knocked their drinks flying with the guitar)

Playing live - love it!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    The only reason I've gone wireless is that I really hate standing on cables - I tend to wear Converse-style trainers, and I find it actually gets quite painful by the end of a set, but extricating myself without falling over something while I'm playing is not a skill I have. Ergo...wireless.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    David5150 said:

Singer has recently gotten a wireless mic and he's always taking a stroll out into the 'crowd' for a bit of a singalong. I've gotten into the habit of wandering out and trying to grab a seat with the most attractive girls when we do a few chilled out numbers. Why girls you ask......because their drinks mostly have straws so they can feed me booze while I'm playing (assuming I haven't knocked their drinks flying with the guitar)

Playing live - love it!

This too. A bit of punter interaction (going out and dancing, standing on a chair/table for a big “set piece” solo, photobombing peoples selfies, etc, etc) goes a long way for a pub/club act - I’m rubbish at talking to strangers but put a guitar in my hand and a band behind me so that I’ve got a role to play and some kind of script to follow and I can get out there and “sell” the act just fine. I hope we’re not relying on stunts, high-jinks, ands silliness (we certainly put a lot of time and effort into the basics) but I’m sure this distinguishes us from some local acts who may be as good (occasionally better) as musicians than we are but just stand there looking miserable, and goes a long way towards getting us repeat bookings, rate hikes, and regular followers.

If we don’t at least look like we’re having fun how can we expect the audience to?

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    For me I find that going too far out into the crowd the delay/speed of sound to my hand co-ordination starts to interfer with my timing, I'm doing funk chops and it feels odd not hearing instant response. I'd spent many years handling cable issues so that was never a problem.
    Interestingly last friday I was about 4 numbers in and a lady came up and stuck hear head down in front of me! She said she was interested in my pedals (I kidd ye not), turned out she was a bassist!
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    JayGee said:
    David5150 said:

Playing live - love it!

This too. A bit of punter interaction (going out and dancing, standing on a chair/table for a big “set piece” solo, photobombing peoples selfies, etc, etc) goes a long way for a pub/club act - I’m rubbish at talking to strangers but put a guitar in my hand and a band behind me so that I’ve got a role to play and some kind of script to follow and I can get out there and “sell” the act just fine. I hope we’re not relying on stunts, high-jinks, ands silliness (we certainly put a lot of time and effort into the basics) but I’m sure this distinguishes us from some local acts who may be as good (occasionally better) as musicians than we are but just stand there looking miserable, and goes a long way towards getting us repeat bookings, rate hikes, and regular followers.

If we don’t at least look like we’re having fun how can we expect the audience to?

I did this last at weeks gig. But to my horror my signal cutbout when I walked past one of the speakers. Im sure it was just a digital blank spot for some reason but I did half feel a plonked standing there wit no sound. Only for a second or two bit it felt like 5 mins ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I’m a fan of the Xvive U2 system I occasionally borrow from a mate - nice and compact and works very well. I had a cheap Rowin System last year and it was quite bulky and unreliable in my opinion - I should have spent the £50 or so more and gone for the XVive.
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88

A big advantage for me was that during a soundcheck I could stand out the front & listen to the sound/levels. The other guitarist's mate was always telling me I was too loud, which clearly wasn't the case once I got mobile!

JayGee said:
    David5150 said:

Playing live - love it!

I did this last at weeks gig. But to my horror my signal cutbout when I walked past one of the speakers. Im sure it was just a digital blank spot for some reason but I did half feel a plonked standing there wit no sound. Only for a second or two bit it felt like 5 mins ;)
    A couple of months ago we played a dreaded caravan holiday park, I went out to gauge the sound/interact with the audience and the guitar sound suddenly went intermittant. As I spun round to get back into 'line of sight' and range I nearly took out a bloke carrying more drinks than two hands should be able to. I wasn't very visible to him it seems!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Line 6 G10. Brilliant bit of kit. No batteries, silently plugs into guitars, auto standby. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    edited May 2018
    Well, I've taken one for the team !  The thirteen quid wireless gear arrived, was attacked by the dog but luckily he's only got little teeth, so the box took a hit but not the contents.

I've recorded four clips for you to hear the difference between the cable and the £13 wireless system... two clean, two dirty.

See if you can tell which ones are the cable and which are wireless :-)

Just to make it impartial, I've names the clips 1, 2, 3 & 4 and shuffled them around before uploading.... mrgreen 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=798864&content=music

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    Comment, you gits!  I recorded especially!
    1 & 4 have the brightness often associated with radio. That's assuming the ' cable length/capacitance' settings on the radio link haven't been futzed with. Otherwise a quality cable and poor radio might make it the other way round,  £13 is even cheap for a good cable.
    1 & 4 are cable, 2 & 3 are radio.

In short, I’d have been better off with a pizza.

Conclusion - £13’s worth of radio gear sounds like a pizza.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom