Possibly the worst sound on record?

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited May 2018
    Chris Squire's bass sound on the Yes albums strikes me as being a bit tinny

I wonder if the musicians (or the engineers, or the producers) just have different ideas about what sounds "good" or "right". IMO there's not a lot wrong with El Clappo or even JoBo but if you don't like that sort of thing there's still a lot of other people who do.

EDIT I'm not a great fan of Pat Metheney's guitar sound either
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited May 2018
    Any English vocalist who sings with a strong American accent. You wouldnt sing with say a French or German accent would you so why American?????
  • girya32girya32 Frets: 10
    anything Brian May ever played on, horrible tinny sound
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    HHwarner said:
    Any English vocalist who sings with a strong American accent. You wouldnt sing with say a French or German accent would you so why American?????
    It sells more records?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    HHwarner said:
    It sells more records?
    There's three basic arguments as I understand it: 

- it's potentially more commercial

- you sing based on what you've heard so it self propigates to some extent ( the history of modern popular music largely having it's roots in the USA ). 

- that a 'mid Atlantic' accent is quite neutral and to sing fast or more complex passages it's actually quite hard to maintain a strong regional accent. Some singers dip in and out of what appears to be an Americanised accent depending on the part of the song. It may not even stand up as an American accent, it's just not as English. If you were singing a song form not associated with American accents such as traditional English you'd tend to lean towards an accent that fits that better. 

Adopting a strong French or German accent when singing in English wouldn't really fit into any of those three categories. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Grime.

In particular, street grime.

Giving barely literate, completely inarticulate English teenagers that think they're black American gangsters a Samsung smart phone to record their particular brand of shite on is one thing. Letting them then upload the results to soundcloud so my students can stream it in the car is inexcusable and should result in the death penalty. 
    Conversation in my car with a student listening to said shite the other day: 

Student: "This guy's inside now" 

Me: "I'm not surprised, I wouldn't get away with passing this off as English either"

Student: "Fuck you! You're just old and don't understand street language. He's doing 15 years for stabbing someone" 

Me: "So he's tried two careers; music and crime, and been bloody awful at both of them. What do you think he'll try next?" 

Student : "Fuck you" 

Me : *sniggers* 
    What are they studying exactly?

You could tell them it isn't being old it's being middle class, there are old people who know street language but they are the ones who TOLD him to stab someone...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    HHwarner said:
    It sells more records?

I’m thinking very strong American accent. Like comedians who should stick to comedy and not recording albums :-)
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    ICBM said:
    Dopesick said:
    Jagger.
    FTFY
    FTFY
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8175
    bbill335 said:
    Jeff Healey's biggest secret was that he was deaf and blind. That's the only way to excuse his naff shred-blooz  
    Woah. Just WOAH!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Van Halen’s extremely dated brand of cock rock. Terrible songs with excruciating lyrics. EVH’s guitar makes high pitched squealing noises... there’s no flow or emotion or, heaven forbid, melody. Dave Lee Roth fancies his teacher (how old was he at the time?) and can’t sing for shit. And Hager wasn’t much better: “Hello baaaaaaaby”, - cue squealing guitar. Just embarrassing. And every guitar magazine of the 80s featured these clowns every bleeding issue. 
    And the bass player had a bass that looked like a whisky bottle. Sounded like it too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    ICBM said:
    Lodious said:

Any acoustic guitar recorded with Pizo pickup
    There is a lot of truth in that. I've given away two 90s live albums (Indigo Girls' 1200 Curfews and Warren Zevon's Learning To Flinch) because the 'acoustic' guitar sounds made them unlistenable.
    As much as I like Warren Zevon, Learning to Flinch was disappointing. The guitar sound doesn't irk me that much but the vocals being too low in the mix does.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Sesh said:

As much as I like Warren Zevon, Learning to Flinch was disappointing. The guitar sound doesn't irk me that much but the vocals being too low in the mix does.
    I think it's probably a combination of the two, which basically ends up with the album just sounding like "ziiiiinnnnnggggg" from one end to the other (apart from Roland Chorale, which is the best bit on it). If the vocals had been louder I might have been able to live with the guitar sound... although if it hadn't been an Ovation it may also have helped :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Axl Rose. From the very first opening line I heard I honestly thought it was a joke, and I'm still not sure now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    edited May 2018
    +1 for Metal Machine Music

Can I also submit the third disc of Neil Young's live album "Arc" which I believe was called "Weld" which is a compilation of feedback, guitar noise and vocal fragments.

Have to disagree there...I absolutely love Weld.

Particularly this...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    beed84 said:

I’ve always found Paloma Faith unbearable.

FTFY.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I had the misfortune to catch a couple of Cranberries songs yesterday, with that horrible howling vocal.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Perdix said:
    Keith Richards solo on sympathy for the devil. Feels like an ice pick jabbing in my ears.
    That's why it's good! How else would you expect the devil to sound?
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914

The electric guitar on T.Rex's Electric Warrior LP is pretty dire as well.
    I'm not having that! That album was what made me pick up an electric guitar. The songs, grooves and tones are top drawer. He may have been more of a poser than a player, but he made up for it with sheer creative abandon.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    scrumhalf said:
    I had the misfortune to catch a couple of Cranberries songs yesterday, with that horrible howling vocal.
    I hate to speak ill of the dead and all that, but every time I hear her voice, it feels like my ears want to vomit. It's really quite an unpleasant sensation.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    I love her voice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson