Sorted, thanks. Eastwood Guitars of Glasgow - anyone know anything?

What's Hot
TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
edited May 2018 in Acoustics
A friend sent me a picture of a red finish flat top acoustic made by a company called Eastwood Guitars in Glasgow. I've tried Google, but all I can find there is the Eastwood company that makes/sells all sorts but isn't based in Glasgow.  

Anyone know anything about them? This particular guitar is apparently signed by George Michael and Amy Winehouse, but they're not looking to sell or anything, just interested in knowing more about the manufacturer. My friend is a classical tenor singer and pianist, but doesn't play guitar. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I've no idea but I'd be fairly sure I wouldn't sign it myself given the position George and Amy currently find themselves in
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    I've no idea but I'd be fairly sure I wouldn't sign it myself given the position George and Amy currently find themselves in
    LOL duly awarded!  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    As ever, pics of the guitar in question would probably elicit constructive replies.
    Be seeing you.
    As ever, pics of the guitar in question would probably elicit constructive replies.
    I doubt it. All I've got is a picture of the soundhole with the label inside. It says Eastwood Guitars, Glasgow, Scotland. It's the manufacturer I'm asking about, not the guitar. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited May 2018

Anyone know anything about them? This particular guitar is apparently signed by George Michael and Amy Winehouse, but they're not looking to sell or anything, just interested in knowing more about the manufacturer. My friend is a classical tenor singer and pianist, but doesn't play guitar. 
    I'm not surprised, considering they've "run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible".

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I'm fairly sure these are a very cheap importer-branded far-east-made range not a manufacturer, and have nothing to do with the Eastwood electric guitars.

Do you have any idea if the top is solid or ply, if the fingerboard looks as if it's stained, or any other clues as to the quality?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

fandango said:

I'm not surprised, considering they've "run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible".

Pedant! Have a LOL to go with my groan. Seems quite likely that the guitar company has, too...  

ICBM said:
    I'm fairly sure these are a very cheap importer-branded far-east-made range not a manufacturer, and have nothing to do with the Eastwood electric guitars.

Do you have any idea if the top is solid or ply, if the fingerboard looks as if it's stained, or any other clues as to the quality?
    No idea, sorry. Looks like a generic flat top with a red satin finish to the top and an understated rosette around the soundhole, Cheap looking paper label inside. 

I suspect you're right about the company. I won't get to see the guitar until I visit in a few weeks. It's 150 miles away.
    ICBM said:
    Aha... yes, P&R Howard - formerly a Glasgow-based distributor, mostly of cheap crap. Now closed down.

http://prod.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/p-r-howard-brands-up-for-sale/018019

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    Aha... yes, P&R Howard - formerly a Glasgow-based distributor, mostly of cheap crap. Now closed down.

http://prod.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/p-r-howard-brands-up-for-sale/018019
    That's great. Thanks for being a better Google’s than me. I'll pass it on.
    TheBigDipper said:

That's great. Thanks for being a better Google’s than me. I'll pass it on.
    It wasn't Google-able until I remembered it might be P&R Howard - I'd forgotten it was one of their brands.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I have a saved search with email notifications on eBay for Eastwood guitars, intended for the faux quirky electrics the "other" Eastwood make, which is forever confusing me when i get emails saying stuff like "Eastwood guitar buy it now for £40!" then I see it's one of these acoustics and not, as I'd initially hoped, a Mosrite style Sidejack or a nice shiny Rivolta ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic