Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Awesome.

To anyone else interested there's a demo that runs for 30 days.

I'm not ready to switch my projects over to it yet (you can't go back after a save), but I have a couple of duplicate projects I've been messing with in Studio One 4 and I'll definitely upgrade.  

On day 1 a bunch of people had issues with upgrades that meant they were locked out of both Studio One 4 and Studio One 3.5 - pretty catastrophic but they are now fixing it.  The demo doesn't seem to cause any license issues, plus there's very likely to be a bunch of small bugs that will get an update in the next couple of weeks.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Have they sorted out the cymbal choke issue with electronic drums in V4?
    octatonic said:
    Is that the polyphonic after touch thing?

I don’t know, I don’t think I have a way of testing it myself as I’m drawing everything in with a mouse.
    They still haven’t added default fades options either but I use a macro as a workaround.
    octatonic said:
    Is that the polyphonic after touch thing?

I don’t know, I don’t think I have a way of testing it myself as I’m drawing everything in with a mouse.
    Yes that is the bugger.
    I have an NFR for Studio One so I should check out out but I have actually found it really unstable on my system.
    edited May 2018
    IIRC you’re a Pro Tools and Logic user? I also own Logic but only have basic PT knowledge.

Studio One is kind of like if Apple had designed Cubase, made it prettier and stripped back some features with an artist rather than a technical focused mindset. It’s stable for me and I find it nicely streamlined. But there are more powerful editing features in other DAWs.

Now on paper Cubase is more powerful but even with the same key commands between the two I find myself fastest in Studio One. Couple of reasons - my MX Master thumbwheel sidescroll works in S1 and doesn’t in Cubase, also ARA (Melodyne, Vocalign, now Autotune) makes vocal editing a breeze.

I use Pro Tools and Logic the most, but also use  and own Live, Reaper, DP, Samplitude, FL Studio and Acid Pro.
    For me the strength of PT is just that it is what everyone else uses, I actually don’t like using it as much as Logic.
    I guess it depends on what you're needing to do, I just record my own band and write my own music so I don't need to worry about working with someone else's files. 

However in Studio One 4 they've added AAF import/export which should mean Logic and ProTools sessions can open in SO4.

What I love in Studio One vs Logic is how easy it is to create custom macros to make life easier.  If you can do this in Logic I've missed how.

For example I've got a macro for punching in that does

Create loop based on selection (loop selection = autopunch locator in SO)
    Enable Autopunch
    Enable Record On track
    Navigate Two bars back from loop start

I use a bounced click track other wise you could also enable the click track at the same time.

Another simple one I use loads is having group selected tracks and rename group dialog box appear on a single key command, saves  few clicks when organising.  

I just find Studio One faster to use than Logic.  I'm pretty much getting the same end result either way but I spend less time doing it in Studio One... the less brain power and time I spend on 'admin' the better.
    edited May 2018
    So they have now fixed the upgrade authorisation issues experienced by some V3.5 users. Good news.
    I bought Studio One 4.  Love it, they've made a bunch of things better and as far as I can see nothing worse.  It's also more stable for me. 

Ryan Bruce just checked it out too coming from a Logic user perspective.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    It is cool....I’ve used all versions...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview