Line 6 powercab

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    simonk said:
    TimmyO said:
    I default to Helix output up full - not sure why you'd do anything else when trying to get loud - plus it's the easiest setting to replicate consistently ! Do the turning down where there are numbers to see 
    To clarify, I was feeding the Powercab from the monitor out which is linked to the Helix volume knob. FOH gets the full beans from the XLR outs... I like to have control over my own monitor volume hence the volume knob only affecting the monitor out.

How are you finding it then mate ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    simonk said:
    TimmyO said:
    I default to Helix output up full - not sure why you'd do anything else when trying to get loud - plus it's the easiest setting to replicate consistently ! Do the turning down where there are numbers to see 
    To clarify, I was feeding the Powercab from the monitor out which is linked to the Helix volume knob. FOH gets the full beans from the XLR outs... I like to have control over my own monitor volume hence the volume knob only affecting the monitor out.

How are you finding it then mate ?
    I like it. I’ve haven’t had a huge amount of time to spend with it but initial fiddlings have been positive. I’ve switched to connecting it via Line6 Link. I like the built in speaker models: pick a Fender amp in the Helix and the Jensen speaker model in the Powercab and it sounds good to me. I’ll definitely be keeping it as it’s earned it’s place for home use and I’m also interested to see what else L6 does with it with future updates.
    As it stands though, I don’t think it’s loud enough to gig with... my DXR10 and QSC K8.2 leave it for dead there.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    simonk said:

As it stands though, I don’t think it’s loud enough to gig with... my DXR10 and QSC K8.2 leave it for dead there.
    Ah, dammit. I was just warming up to buy one ;)

Seriously, though...something like this would be bloody marvellous, if only for the fact that my car's tiny and cutting down from a 2x12" to a 1x12" would've solved a lot of issues. My problem with it - and I suspect it's similar to a lot of folks - is that speaker modelling is a wonderful technology, but it necessarily produces the amp-in-the-room sound of a 1x12" if you don't use an IR. I don't want to sound like I'm playing through a 1x12", and I use the Matrix NL212 for that very reason.
    <space for hire>
    simonk said:

Ah, dammit. I was just warming up to buy one ;)
    As with most things in Helix land there may very well be a workaround...

I’ve not looked at the levels in the output block or global EQ yet. A gain block last in chain is an option. I’m sure there are others - it might just involve a different mindset to ‘straight to the PA’.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    Bear in mind the DXR 10 (which is excellent and I own 2) is 1100 w !!!!

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Also the DXR is much louder than you'd ever need, I use mine as a monitor, and it's probably running at 1/10
    Hmm, just had a quick 5 minutes with it before heading out to work. Powercab dimed, Helix dimed and output set to L6 Link. You can get a fair bit more volume using the output block... I had it up to +16dB by which time it was LOUD but pretty noisy and peaking the input of the Powercab.
    So, unless I’m being a complete cretin (very probable) and don’t have something set right I still don’t think it has enough grunt to gig with a moderately enthusiastic drummer.

Yeah, fair point Waz. My little QSC is 2000w. But then the little Alto TX8 I cart around as a spare monitor is only 140w continuous and it easily owns the PC volume wise.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Why on earth would they release it if it can't keep up with small rehearsal/small gig requirements?
    simonk said:

Yeah, fair point Waz. My little QSC is 2000w. But then the little Alto TX8 I cart around as a spare monitor is only 140w continuous and it easily owns the PC volume wise.
    Yeah, my Alto TS210 is quite loud and okay for rehearsals with the rhythm volume, but as soon as I go to a lead sound it peaks out with no more headroom. That said, it's fine for personal monitoring on stage, I'd just never be able to use it for a backline gig with no direct-to-PA reinforcement.
    Why on earth would they release it if it can't keep up with small rehearsal/small gig requirements?
    I suspect it's for on-stage monitoring only, and to prove the concept's workable. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought out a 2x12" model at some point, or even a higher-powered 1x12" that can behave like a 2x12".
    <space for hire>
    From the Line 6 web-site

'Powercabs are also loud enough to fill any small club or medium-sized venue'

Would be disappointing if it wasnt
    digitalscream said:

I suspect it's for on-stage monitoring only, and to prove the concept's workable. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought out a 2x12" model at some point, or even a higher-powered 1x12" that can behave like a 2x12".

Bang on I reckon. The outside of the manual reads “Powercab Family”... if that’s anything to go by. The concept is good and the software works well. There has to be more to follow... a 1500w 2x12 (preferably neo’s) would be excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    I still don't understand what it's trying to achieve. You can change the speaker that is modelled? Can you not just do that on the Helix or whatever you're using?

What is the difference between turning off modelling in your Helix and using the Powercab to model a specific 1x12 and just using it FRFR and using a 1x12 IR with the same speaker model? Is the implication that the Powercab can do it better somehow?

I'm not being awkward - I just can't see what the difference is beyond where the modelling happens and why that would make a difference.
    edited May 2018
    Dan_Halen said:
    I still don't understand what it's trying to achieve. You can change the speaker that is modelled? Can you not just do that on the Helix or whatever you're using?

What is the difference between turning off modelling in your Helix and using the Powercab to model a specific 1x12 and just using it FRFR and using a 1x12 IR with the same speaker model? Is the implication that the Powercab can do it better somehow?

I'm not being awkward - I just can't see what the difference is beyond where the modelling happens and why that would make a difference.
    The Powercab is removing a mic ‘listening’ to the speaker from the chain.

So, choosing a cab block or IR in the Helix gives you a speaker and mic combination. The Powercab offers you 6 modelled speakers (minus the mic(s) giving you, in theory, more of the amp in a room type sound.
    Dan_Halen said:

The Helix models a cab and microphone, so the output from that is what you would get to the desk if you mic'd a real cab.  The powercab emulates a cab 'in the room' so what you hear is what you would hear if you had a greenback (or whatever) in a 1x12 cab in the room with you.  

In my experience, with a bit of EQ you can get very close to this anyway, so I suppose the difference is really ease of use:

Helix->cab->mic->EQ  VS Helix ->powercab
    Dan_Halen said:

It's pretty simple, really. Every other solution out there - whether it's impulse responses or modelling - treats the speaker and the microphone in front of it as a single entity, ie you can't have speaker modelling without also modelling the microphone in front. That's why modellers always sound different to just listening to the sound coming from the speaker directly to your ears, without a microphone in between.

What the Powercab does - in addition to the traditional approach above - is model the speaker on its own, without the mic between the speaker and your ears. That's what people talk about as the "amp in the room" sound.
    <space for hire>
    Phew!  Pretty consistent responses ;)
    edited May 2018

edited May 2018
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    Nice one thanks guys!

Next questions... does it actually make a tangible difference and is there a reason it couldn't just be incorporated into a new block in the Helix signal chain in a firmware update - is it not just essentially a fancy EQ? Is there a reason the modelling needs to be handled by the cab or is this just a way to try and sell a load of these things?