I'm bored ...

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited May 2018 in Theory
Please share some of your favourite/secret/great chord progressions .. anything emotive, unique, quirky, interesting, alt/indie, catchy, etc., will be much appreciated.

Cheers 
If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Go an listen/ work out/ play some later Beatles tunes. That'll sort you right out for a while. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    ii V I.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited May 2018
    Go an listen/ work out/ play some later Beatles tunes. That'll sort you right out for a while. 
    I'm sinking in a sea of how to play books/videos, tabs, licks, scales, etc., so just looking for some spontaneous inspiration. Basically I don't want to be influenced by any particular song  
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Bob Dylan - Lay Lady Lay - during verses(great bar chord practice)  A - C#m - G - Bm    -  Start with A bar chord 5th fret - C#m bar chord 4th fret - G bar chord 3rd fret - Bm bar chord 2nd fret. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited May 2018
    I do an Axis of Awesome composition at least once a month in an attempt to find "the one" that will pay off the mortgage haha 

It's also good songwriting practice, and a fascinating challenge! I must have done about 25-30 already, it's great for refining your melody chops.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    I'm bored by Iggy has a good riff/progression 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bob Dylan - Lay Lady Lay - during verses(great bar chord practice)  A - C#m - G - Bm    -  Start with A bar chord 5th fret - C#m bar chord 4th fret - G bar chord 3rd fret - Bm bar chord 2nd fret. 
    I like vii chord substitutions.
  • Go an listen/ work out/ play some later Beatles tunes. That'll sort you right out for a while. 
    True this. Get down all the chords to the Abbey Road medley, sing along and boredom will be cured
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2018
    OK, I'm gravitating towards i -  III - VII  - VI with some variations on the VII and VI ... hitting Kurt Vile/War On Drugs territory here, but it's not something I was aiming for, as I am trying to come up with some ideas for a band I am mentoring.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    If you subscribe to any of the guitar mags, e.g. The Guitar Magazine, then you’ll find plenty of inspiration in the Chord Clinic at the back of the mag.

Otherwise there’s Musicradar, Guitar World, Premier Guitar, and others on t’internet who regularly post inspiring articles, videos and tabs including how to break out of the pentatonic, riffs in the style of [insert guitar hero here].

Me, I suggest taking a scale or a mode, say, and playing around with that up and down the fingerboard. Select a random key of your choice, switch on some reverb* and delay* and just play  something you’ve never played before. Let your fingers do the work, not your brain.

* assuming you’ve got these fx somewhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Am I busted? Is this I - III - VII - VI?

• KoaKoa Frets: 120
    slacker said:
    I'm bored by Iggy has a good riff/progression 
    Or some Chairman of the bored ....that was a good Iggy album that, was it New Values? Had it on purchased not copied cassette tape...often overlooked album though 
    octatonic said:
    ii V I.
    That's quite neat, I could dig into this at some point.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Make your own chord shapes up in standard tuning.Partial shapes, probably. Maybe arpeggio. Keep it in key. Develop a rhythm. Presto - original song.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    Have a go on the chord progression for a design for life by the manics, its kept me occupied for the past hour, its a lovely progression imho
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    Try what a wonderful world. I enjoy playing that very much. It works in a number of keys, but D is particularly nice. I just made a little video for you :)

https://youtu.be/XFqLrYFjRhU
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    Try what a wonderful world. I :) enjoy playing that very much. It works in a number of keys, but D is particularly nice. I just made a little video for you :)

https://youtu.be/XFqLrYFjRhU
    Thanks for that  :) I need to brush up on my fingerpicking.
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    So do I!!!!!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Thanks for all the tips, I've got 3 songs to go  :)