2018 Running Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    d8m said:
    Seem to have picked up another injury after last nights run(or a continuation of a previous)
    Pain on the outside of my foot and strange sensation that feels like creaking in the foot itself when moving sometimes?

Ive had a few shoe problems this last month since getting back into it, I purchased what turned out to be a pair of indoor running shoes and ran them on roads and fields for a while which caused my footpain. Once I had realised what was going on  switched back to my old shoes and have done a couple more runs but they are pretty worn out.

My mileage is increasing so I think its time to bite the bullet and rather than using sportdirect I plan to go to a Up and running tomorrow and get a proper analysis and suitable new shoes, will cost more but better in long run.
    Yes. Do this, for sure. You don't have to spend the earth, but getting a solid pair of shoes that are designed for your gait will help any niggling pains for sure. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    +1 . Certainly rule that out with correct shoes.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    Went to a running shop this morning and had a go on the treadmill(first time on one ever!)

Tried a few different pairs of shoes based on shops recommendation and went home with a pair of Nike Pegasus 34’s, they are half a size bigger than my previous shoes but apparently my old ones were on the small side and this wasn’t helping me.

Hopefully take them out for a spin tonight!

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Jogged 3 miles to Parkrun on Saturday, then did the flat-ish off-road-ish course in 24:07. I really prefer this course to the tarmac course along the river, it's really not that much slower for me, and it means I get a long run in as part of the deal. I didn't make it all the way back, had to walk part of the way, but this is the first time I've done this in a year so all's good.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    9 miles in the new shoes this morning, slower than usual as I am breaking them in but no foot pain! 

Any of the longer distance runners have any tip on whats good for carrying water?

Up till now ive just carried a small bottle but its not enough and is a pain to hold onto, options seem to be vest, rucksack and belt with the prices varying across all from cheap to very expensive!

d8m said:
    Any of the longer distance runners have any tip on whats good for carrying water?

Up till now ive just carried a small bottle but its not enough and is a pain to hold onto, options seem to be vest, rucksack and belt with the prices varying across all from cheap to very expensive!
    Do you mean longer than 13 miles? I've never carried water for anything less than that personally. When I was running further, I carried a small bottle of water and a gel and just made do.
    d8m said:

Do you mean longer than 13 miles? I've never carried water for anything less than that personally. When I was running further, I carried a small bottle of water and a gel and just made do.
    I must just be thirsty!

I think a vest or rucksack would be overkill really, probably  just as well to try a proper water bottle first rather than recylcing my volvic one. :)

Yeah I would try one of those doughnut bottles.
    4.5miles (7.2km) yesterday morning with the dog. A bit eventful - jogged into the road to avoid some doddery old man and his two dogs. His prick of a terrier still tried to lunge for my dog, to which she reacted quickly and ran straight into my path to avoid - cue me rolling on my ankle to try and keep upright. 

Ran it off and it felt ok after a few mins, but is stiff now, so going to take it easy until Sunday now as I have a Sprint Triathlon to contend with. 
    Many hydration belts out there to help with longer runs. I wear a belt upto 20 miles and a vest for anything over.

Also worth checking your route to see if shops/garage on the way so you can just carry a bottle and restock as needed.

Lighter is better especially in the heat :)
    Dogs on the extendable leads are a nightmare! I run mostly off road and get dogs off lead pounding up. Had a couple of close ones so tend to give a very wide berth but some owners just don't care!
    mcsdan said:
    Dogs on the extendable leads are a nightmare! I run mostly off road and get dogs off lead pounding up. Had a couple of close ones so tend to give a very wide berth but some owners just don't care!
    Extendable leads should be banned, full stop. Horrible things. 

Occasionally my dog is interested in runners in the field I do laps in (and that the odd other person runs through/around), and as I have her off lead she has got in the way once or twice, but I'll shout her back immediately and she'll get out of the way; cue me apologising profusely as it can be annoying and potentially dangerous; although she's got pretty good spacial awareness. 

I think runners in the field expect it though as it's busy with dog walkers, so most don't mind - still doesn't excuse them, and they shouldn't be getting under people's feet. 

Unrelated but if anyone has Strava and wants to follow me: Jonathan Eve. I'm gurning in my bike helmet in my profile pic. 

Another 3.5 mile tonight, but now my hip is hurting.

Not on a good run with injuries lately  :s

5ish miles Monday, yesterday and today.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Did a 5k for the first time in ages and managed 24:20.

Pleased with that as I've been focused on doing slower longer runs recently.

good time! I'm trying to get Sub 50 10km and sub 24 5km before august. But I might start some longer, slower runs as I need to build up my length, to get my legs used to half marathon again

Well done. Good time :)

1.8 miles last night coaching beginners c25k course week 3.

Just tipped me over 800 miles. Have another big race in 2 weeks so should get to over 1000 miles by end of June. Aiming for 2018 miles for 2018!

=801.5miles/1290km.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:

good time! I'm trying to get Sub 50 10km and sub 24 5km before august. But I might start some longer, slower runs as I need to build up my length, to get my legs used to half marathon again

Cheers dude

I know what you mean. I'm torn between trying to get up some speed on the shorter distances and practicing for the half marathon.