Do they need to be played?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
I have heard that as an acoustic ages and the wood ages if it isnt played it looses tone and begins to sound dead, because without resonating the wood fibers become tight, I have also read that even sitting the guitar beside a speaker like a radio, tv or HiFi can help.
 Any thoughts on this?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    There's a gadget available called The Tonerite, you place it on the strings and it simulates playing .
    Guitar shops use them.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    or you could play it. 

It doesnt take long in my experience. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Simply leaving them on a stand or a wall hanger where they can pick up natural sounds from the room also makes quite a difference, compared to keeping them in a case.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    But is that the guitar vibrating to environmental sound, or because it’s not shut away in the dark with the case pressing on the table, back, sides and strings?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Roland said:
    But is that the guitar vibrating to environmental sound, or because it’s not shut away in the dark with the case pressing on the table, back, sides and strings?
    Both. The case will stop the wood vibrating.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    not something I E-V-E-R consider Robo pick 'em outa the cupboard /case and play - some of my guitars dont get played for many months. Once I start playing any of them they soon 'warm up'  - quite literally as they get used to vibrating - which naturally generates heat all be it minute.
    I wrote something on here about people who sit on their sofa (in near laboratory conditions) and play a note or chord and LISTEN to that - but that's not to be confused with playing music and listening to THAT.
    Sure we can all sit peacefully and compare the odd and even harmonic partials  % in relationship to the fundamental, but is that what the guitars for ?.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    See I never really play mine, I noticed last night how the finish had turned to a dark honey colour in all the years I have owned it and it struck me how little I play it. Mind you its always been out on a stand.  
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited May 2018
    robgilmo said:
    See I never really play mine, I noticed last night how the finish had turned to a dark honey colour in all the years I have owned it and it struck me how little I play it. Mind you its always been out on a stand.  
    My wee Faith acoustic has completely changed colour in the 3 years I've had it on my wall too. It used to be quite anemic but now it’s a lovely golden honey colour and looks as good as it sounds. There’s no shortage of "ambient sound" in my living room- I have two small kids. No chance the guitar could seize up with that all day!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited May 2018
    My 25 year old Martin was sounding ‘small’, quiet - and generally shit - for a while. 

In the last last few months, I’ve kept on a stand in the spare room. It’s probably the quietest room in the house - but the guitar is sounding exceptional at the moment. The hygrometer in the room suggests the humidity’s lower than it should be - so I’m struggling to find any justifiable reason as to why things have improved so noticeably....
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    I have and do use a tone rite from time to time I don’t have the best ears but I can hear the difference on the acoustic. Do think it depends on the guitar some seem to benefit more from tone rite. 

I have that adirondak Cort ooo and frankly I don’t have enough time to give that a couple of hours a day for a couple of years just to get it loosened up Tonerite seems to help it get that nice dry woody tone when played lightly and some bark when you dig in.

Even a few months of playing seems to improve most guitars not sure if it’s also familiarity playing tricks
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    I have my cheap Loar acoustic right next to the sofa here, and if I sneeze loudly I can hear it “reverb” for a couple of seconds!
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Make sure you vibrate a tone in Dmin so you have the saddest of all guitars. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I have my cheap Loar acoustic right next to the sofa here, and if I sneeze loudly I can hear it “reverb” for a couple of seconds!

I used to keep a resonator in my living room but had to move it -  it would start making a racket when listening to records, think it wanted to join in.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom