Clare_Bear's smiley happy thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Thanks for the love, guys. Sorry to hear about your mum Sporky, but sounds like you've found her a good place. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited April 2018
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 334
    welcome back Clare_Bear ...
    Just got word from Radford Revival that they expect to finish building my STA25 today.  Can't wait to install & use it :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    This weekend I visited and old band mate who took over from a previous keyboard player in the band back in the day (1998). As part of his introduction he came to a gig at a local golf club and recorded the complete gig (3 sets) so he could familiarise himself with arrangements and  formats. He told me he still had those recordings on DAT tape, so we spent an hour or so figuring out how to use the DAT drive and play the tracks.
    The recording is basic and slightly distorted, but it has songs we never did again (old keyboard player sang) and one in particular where six musos did Billy Joels 'The Longest Time' acapella with myself doing lead (before my voice gave out on me). I'd never heard that played back before and it bought a tear to my eye, not least because one of the lady singers died of cancer a few short years later.
    He is going to create CDs/MP3s etc. of this material for me. I am so happy to have it because in those days we gigged so often and never thought about recording gigs. I have later recordings of course but this is special to me.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    nice one Kev, wow duly awarded

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    @ESBlonde that's properly brilliant. Would love to hear it!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    @ESBlonde that's properly brilliant. Would love to hear it!

Mike I can't say the quality of the recording is up to much, but as a personal momento it is priceless. i may upload it in the future when I get it.
    nipped in the local for a pint after my lunch. turns out I'd already got 2 in :)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Spent the whole afternoon making a rig of classic rock-style sounds on my Kemper. Now have:

1) a nice clipped clean sound with slapback delay and vintage-sounding chorus
    2) a low-gain crunchy Plexi rhythm sound, a la AC/DC, Badfinger etc
    3) a boosted low-ish gain lead, ideal for the lead sounds of the above bands
    4) a massive-sounding higher gain rhythm tone, a la Boston, Queen etc - complete with subtle chorus and tape delay
    5) an accompanying lead sound, which could cause earthquakes

I are happy.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    Bucket said:
    Spent the whole afternoon making a rig of classic rock-style sounds on my Kemper. Now have:

4) a massive-sounding higher gain rhythm tone, a la Boston, Queen etc - complete with subtle chorus and tape delay

I are happy.
    This post appears to need video. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Bucket said:

I are happy.
    This post appears to need video. 
    Soon, I hope...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My parents were in TK Maxx yesterday and found a very nice Armani jacket which they thought I'd like, and would just about fit... so they bought it, on the offchance it would fit. It does, and perfectly.

As for the price... well, they paid £64 for it. Guess how much it originally cost?

More than that.

... keep going...

Yup. £1216.

:o
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    I have just put the last full stop on this academic year's offerings. 
    All done.
    Happy.
    :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    My car failed its mot today. The law has been updated and it appears that a fail means it cannot go back on the road until it's fixed. My service pack has expired........

The nice man at the garage looked at my 'deal' when I bought the car. 'Hang on sir, let me just check something.....'

5 mins later he returns. 'Sir, it appears your deal indicates that as part of the MOT part of the package, the part which caused the fail is not a 'consumable' which means I can get it replaced for free. I have taken the liberty of ordering the part and it will be with us in the morning. We will fit it free of charge and re-mot it for you. I have also sorted you out with a nice new courtesy car. We will call you in the morning but no rush really.'
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    For the first time ever, I got up at 6:30 this morning and went for a run. It was actually a rather excellent way to start the day. I will be doing it more often.

I've decided to try and get up at the same time every day from now on, to work harder and be more productive and stronger-willed - I want to learn the art of delayed gratification, which is something I've never been very good at. All part of my drive to be fitter, happier, harder-working and better off.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    Bucket said:
    For the first time ever, I got up at 6:30 this morning and went for a run. It was actually a rather excellent way to start the day. I will be doing it more often.

I've decided to try and get up at the same time every day from now on, to work harder and be more productive and stronger-willed - I want to learn the art of delayed gratification, which is something I've never been very good at. All part of my drive to be fitter, happier, harder-working and better off.
    Love a morning run.  Go through the local nature reserve where I never see anyone at that time, just deer, foxes, rabbits, the odd snake.  You feel better all day I think.
    edited June 2018
    munckee said:
    Bucket said:

Love a morning run.  Go through the local nature reserve where I never see anyone at that time, just deer, foxes, rabbits, the odd snake.  You feel better all day I think.
    I'm in London so not as much wildlife to gawp at, but I do have a few places to go - Queen's Park is about 10 minutes away, so that's where I went earlier. Maybe once I get more used to the exercise I might push myself down to Regent's Park or Primrose Hill...
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Bucket said:
    For the first time ever, I got up at 6:30 this morning and went for a run...
    This might sound a bit bonkers but, when you wrap your head around it, try getting up at 5am.
    Imagine it being 6:30am and you've already been up for 90 minutes, done your run, and a ton of other stuff too.
    5am is the sweet spot for me at any rate.  4am just feels like I've got up too early!  But 5's a goodun!
    GL with the other goals.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    edited June 2018
    So this is the “other side” is it?  Nobody’s moaning!  Wow... is this the antimatter to the “Shit that boils you piss” thread?

I’ve had an old petrol brush cutter for several years that has never ran right.  No matter what I did with the carb mixture screw, it was always a bastard to start and would frequently die.  Last year, I bought a new carb for it, only £12, and that did help but it still ran rough.

Yesterday, after getting a blister from trying to start it, I decided to get the screwdrivers out to strip the carb as, the ‘eBay special’ fuel filter and pipe I bought last year had begun to dissolve in the fuel over the winter, leaving a gloopy sticky residue in the tank,  I figured the new carb must have some of this crap in it.

So, I start removing bits, get the carb off and decide to check the inlet manifold.  I take it off and immediately see the manifold-cylinder gasket is in bits.  I scrape it all off and make myself two new gaskets from card (getting the proper ones for this would be impossible) as I decide to replace the carb-manifold gasket too.

45 minutes later it’s back together with my DIY gaskets.

It starts on the first pull and runs like a racing bike. 

All these years I’ve struggled with it and now it’s like a new machine!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom