Will this be rubbish?

What's Hot
barrydbarryd Frets: 25
Please dont laugh, well you can if you like.  I am not a Bass player but I play lead, rhythm and vocals and record my own stuff. Just for fun really.  Ive been using a bass guitar effect on my six string guitar and its passable but a bit naff and boomy at times.  Ive been thinking of picking up a cheap "real" bass just for recordings and saw this on Ebay.  I know its a starter job but will I just be wasting my money or will it do for what I want? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Oypla-PB-Precision-Style-Black-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-15w-Amp/2255310072?iid=182608093636&_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=52344&meid=07f3d84638244b9c9985cbd4cd981bbe&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=pp&sd=282981008990&itm=182608093636&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    You can probably buy a second-hand Yamaha, Cort or Peavey for that money and it'll be much better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    You can buy something like a Squier (or the above brands) for £100.

If you buy new, you're not going to get great value for money.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    To be fair to the OP, the bass may already be a reasonable quality product with a different name.

All new gear is brilliant compared to the rubbish that was around when I started. And more affordable too!

A known brand will generally have better QC, but if it's for home recording etc, anything will do. Keep your eyes open on gumtree for something used at £50 if you are prepared to wait.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    You’ll def. get a used bass which will be much higher quality for the same cash. 

• barrydbarryd Frets: 25
    Thanks.  Just seen this.  Dont know if its genuine or not but at that price I could probably sell the amp which I dont need for thirty quid.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PB-Precision-Style-Black-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-15W-Amp/282981008990?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I take on board that a named used one will be better though.  That Peavy has shipping as well so could be good.  Trouble is I live in the middle of nowhere so collection is not usually an option although I have seen one on Gumtree local but have asked for more details.  I should probably spend a couple of hundred quid at least really but My misses would go ape shit as Ive spent  fair wack on guitar and mic gear lately.  :#
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    @barryd fuck me! That's s bargain!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Thirty six quid is less than some people pay for a packet of four posh strings. 

The eBay package deal would do for a knockabout. If you want to get serious, you will eventually have to buy again.
    Be seeing you.
    edited May 2018
    I think its got to be a scam at that price but cant see how.  Ive emailed the seller but will see what he comes back with. He has no feedback as a seller but good feedback as a buyer.  I contacted this guy in Gumtree.  He knows nothing about it, didnt even know what make it was but I think its an ESP LTD.  https://tinyurl.com/y9e7kluu ; All sounds a bit dodgy so it could be knocked off for all  know but its only 7 miles away so maybe worth a look 
    edited May 2018
    Some observations.
    1. Two outwardly identical package deals at two wildly different prices.
    2. The price on the cheaper deal is not much more than it should cost to ship the goods to a customer.
    3. Bank Holiday Weekend. Seller might be away. Ideal time for account hijack.
    4. Any deal that seems too good to be true probably is - especially on Internet auction sites.

barryd said:
    Gumtree ... LTD ... its only 7 miles away so, maybe, worth a look 
    Chinese-made beginner-to-intermediate level instrument. Generic components and electronics. Should be playable but might eventually benefit from a pickup and controls upgrade.

If you do view the Gumtree five string bass, check that the neck is not bowing under the strain of the string tension. Also, check that the low B string feels almost as stiff to play on as the E and A strings. 
    Be seeing you.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Those LTDs are typically good value for money as they don't hold their value particularly well, possibly due to their reputation as a 'metal' brand? Definitely well worth checking out, I have an entry-level LTD viper guitar and it is excellent for what I paid for it.
    Thanks again. I never even noticed the Gumtree Bass was a five string!   Dumb question but whats the big difference apart from it having five strings?  There has to be something fishy about the Ebay guitar as it says they have sold 46 all in the past three days yet the buyer never sells anything.  A hack I suspect.  Will see if they get in touch and if not maybe notify Ebay.  That Peavy that was posted above sounds ok as well really and it has  shipping. 
    Another question.  I record my six string guitar through my Zoom g3 interface which has a USB connection, would I do the same with a Bass just without any of the effects on as a kind of Preamp?  I also have an M Audio 2 x 2 Interface as well which I mainly use for vocals so could I just put it through that?   I Take it it wont need some kind of pre amp?
    barryd said:
    That Peavey ... posted above sounds ok ... and it has shipping. 
    Another budget item. The majority of Peavey instruments from that range were made in Vietnam. The pickup, controls and bridge are the cheapest of the cheap but no less workable for that.

Ideally, a bass like that should be discovered at a boot sale for about thirty quid.

barryd said:
    record ... through my Zoom g3 interface? I also have an M Audio 2 x 2 Interface ... so could I just put it through that?   
    You could record bass guitar through either.

The Zoom G3 may have a few dedicated bass guitar presets already. If it does not, create your own using Gain, Compression, and EQ. Alternatively, set the Zoom to effects bypass and just use it as an audio in/out box.

Running directly through the M Audio interface might give a better signal. Any compression or EQ could be added (and edited) in your DAW software.

Be seeing you.
    Thanks again.  I see that too good be true ad on Ebay has gone.  No response from the seller so clearly a scam.

Worrabout this for a bargain?  Made contact but no reply yet.  Twenty quid FFS!  :# https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/bass-guitar/1300666179
    barryd said:
    Thanks again.  I see that too good be true ad on Ebay has gone.  No response from the seller so clearly a scam.

Worrabout this for a bargain?  Made contact but no reply yet.  Twenty quid FFS!  :# https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/bass-guitar/1300666179
    TBH for £20 if it turns out to be utterly useless you've lost nothing really. Well, OK, 20 quid.. but still.. 

I'd say that's worth a punt. It will be basswood and probably cheese-metal hardware, but there's half a chance that with a bit of TLC it will be pretty good. I think they retailed for over £100 originally..
    Thanks.  I Feel like a right cheapskate!  Lets see if the seller gets back to me. Hartlepool is a fair treck from here mind in the Dales but as you say for twenty quid.  Its got to be an improvement on me using my Les Paul with a bass effect through the Zoom.  Its passable for hitting single notes but when you walk around the frets it goes all over the place as the octave effect tries to keep up.
    barryd said:
    Thanks.  I Feel like a right cheapskate!  Lets see if the seller gets back to me. Hartlepool is a fair treck from here mind in the Dales but as you say for twenty quid.  Its got to be an improvement on me using my Les Paul with a bass effect through the Zoom.  Its passable for hitting single notes but when you walk around the frets it goes all over the place as the octave effect tries to keep up.
    For me (and YMMV) I think a good chunk of a good bass sound is the right hand technique (if using fingers) and how that translates onto the thicker strings..

You lose all of that with a guitar and a bass effect...
    The twenty quid Lindo bass guitar is likely to need almost everything on it upgrading in the long term. My chief concern would be the stability of the neck. 

Be seeing you.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    If you are coming from guitar, you might find a short scale like an Ibanez TMB30 easier.

B stock new one here for 145:

If you can find one second hand you should be able to get it for around £100.  I picked one up in the classifieds here.  I'm playing it more than my Fender which is probably worth around 5 times as much.