Jockey Full of Bourbon

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
I suspect there's been a ton of these threads over the years but what the hey: it's 2018, kids!  Let's share the funk!

Having spent the last couple of weeks on Angus Young I fancied a change, so we have the most excellent Marc Ribot playing on Tom Waits' 'Jockey Full of Bourbon'.  If anyone has learned this I'd love to chew the fat and discuss...

Here's the original:

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    Subscribed !
  • Right now I’m learning Marc Ribot’s solo on the live version of Telephone Call from Istanbul. His work with Tom Waits is fantastic. Part old-timey carnival, part Arabic.

It also seems like there’s nothing to it, until you play the parts that is. They sound so simple, but they have some really neat rhythms that are so musical and catchy. This will sound odd, but in that respect he reminds me of Mark Knopfler—solos and melodies based on chords, with inventive rhythms. 

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Yep, we did a cover of Bourbon once. Great song and great fun to play.
  • Right now I’m learning Marc Ribot’s solo on the live version of Telephone Call from Istanbul. His work with Tom Waits is fantastic. Part old-timey carnival, part Arabic.

It also seems like there’s nothing to it, until you play the parts that is. They sound so simple, but they have some really neat rhythms that are so musical and catchy. This will sound odd, but in that respect he reminds me of Mark Knopfler—solos and melodies based on chords, with inventive rhythms. 

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    What a great guitar sound! Is that a Selmer TnB?
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • He goes through his his gear in another video. It’s a 1484 Silvertone, and a couple of Strymon pedals. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Right now I’m learning Marc Ribot’s solo on the live version of Telephone Call from Istanbul. His work with Tom Waits is fantastic. Part old-timey carnival, part Arabic.

That is all kinds of super cool. Bits of Django in there. Bits of all sorts. Think Marc Ribot is gonna be my new guitar obsession.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Love jockey full of bourbon and telephone call from Istanbul, but my personal favourite bits of Ribot's work with Waits are on the Real Gone album. Especially Hoist That Rag and Make It Rain.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Great lesson here.  So what is this?  E harmonic minor, with variations (I stress I know eff all of theory, just trying to figure out where to start...)

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Ribot is a huge fan of Arsenio Rodriguez.
    If you play along to Cuban music, add some skronk blues and a bit of chromaticism you can get where he's coming from on Rain Dogs. I also like the stuff he does on the Raising Sand album.
  • xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    Eric Haugen is great. His musical taste is impeccable (to me, anyway) and he has a very easy and approachable manner. Triffic guitar player as well.

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dottore said:
    Eric Haugen is great. His musical taste is impeccable (to me, anyway) and he has a very easy and approachable manner. Triffic guitar player as well.
    His “play it 3 times, slower each time” demo method is great, too. Easily the best way (for me anyway) to get a song quickly.
    Well Ribot / Haugen fans, now I’ve more or less nailed ‘Jockey’, here’s the next challenge I’ve set myself... Anyone else had a crack?

https://youtu.be/vym6JjgmPxY

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Right now I’m learning Marc Ribot’s solo on the live version of Telephone Call from Istanbul. His work with Tom Waits is fantastic. Part old-timey carnival, part Arabic.

If anyone wants the PDF tab of this let me know
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Huge Ribot fan, although he's one of those players where for every three tracks I love, there's one or two I really don't.

My favourite of his solo project tracks, is maybe:

His playing with John Zorn's Electric Masada is also so good. He manages to channel his own thing, but also bits of funk, and bits of McLaughlin's Bitches Brew/In A Silent Way style.

I can't find the right version of some of the tunes that are on the Electric Masada 50th anniversary live album on Youtube, though. But those two are a pretty good taste. 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2621
    For some reason I'd not absorbed that it was him on the Masada project, though... obviously. He's fantastic - I was listening to Cubanos Postizos a lot a couple of weeks ago and spent some time trying to write Amplifire patches that sound like his more fucked-up sounds. With little success, but it was fun.