Price Advice - Yamaha Acoustic

peteripeteri Frets: 1283
Hi

I've got a Yamaha acoustic - FG-410 from back in 1988-1990 period (bought new).

Good condition, apart from one scratch on the top it's mint and has a Yamaha gig-bag.

Looking to off-load it, any idea how much it'd be worth? Can't find many around used.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    A few sold ones on Ebay for around the £50 mark
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Wow! Must have spelt something wrong before.

That's a bit crap, the case is worth more than that ;)

Thanks!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Old does not automatically mean valuable.

A quick eBay search yielded prices ranging from thirty-odd quid to over two hundred (including gig bag). I cannot recall whether the soundboard of the FG-410 is solid or laminated. This will have a considerable effect on desirability.
    Be seeing you.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Definitely under £100.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Old does not automatically mean valuable.

A quick eBay search yielded prices ranging from thirty-odd quid to over two hundred (including gig bag). I cannot recall whether the soundboard of the FG-410 is solid or laminated. This will have a considerable effect on desirability.
    All ply.

It's a typical Yamaha entry-level (or maybe one above entry level) guitar - well-made, better than you would get at that price point from most other makers, consistent and durable, but of pretty much no distinctive character. That isn't always a bad thing...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Ah ok, memory the better of me! ;)

Explains why it sounds ok - but not full of character.

Think I'll keep the case tho! :)

Thanks all
    ICBM said:

All ply.

It's a typical Yamaha entry-level (or maybe one above entry level) guitar - well-made, better than you would get at that price point from most other makers, consistent and durable, but of pretty much no distinctive character. That isn't always a bad thing...
    The older all ply Yamaha FG 180's are highly desirable.

I agree about Yamaha acoustics being really well made, consistent and durable for their price tag. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    earwighoney said:

I know, and I don't really know why... I've always found them very average-sounding. They do have a nice 'old ply' sound, but no more than that.

They are durable too, but after 40+ years almost all of them need a neck reset now, which is not easy because of the type of glue that was used.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    earwighoney said:

I know, and I don't really know why...
    Elliott Smith fans I imagine!

I had a similar Yamaha from that around that era and it was a nice enough guitar but not anything special.
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    I gave my old FG-75 to the charity shop it was a piece of crap to be honest ,they don't seem to age well.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    ICBM said:

All ply.

I agree about Yamaha acoustics being really well made, consistent and durable for their price tag. 
    The Japanese ones, anyway...

I sold an interesting 1st Taiwan batch FG 180 last year (made in Taiwan under Japanese supervision, red label); it only made £150.