First Hardware Synth

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I have Novation Mininova and I think it’s great value. It was a toss up between that and a Microkorg, which is a similar thing. Covers all the classic synth sounds. Like many electronic instruments it’s defined by the sounds of its era, and that sound is dubstep. However, it’s easy to program your own presets and you learn about oscillators, envelopes, filters etc. For me, poly is a lot more useful for a first synth, but I’d love a Monologue at some point. I’ve used the Mininova to play VST instruments in Logic as well. The keys are small, but that’s not likely to bother you unless you come from a keyboard playing background.
    Not a big fan of mini keys, had them on a MIDI controller and didnt get on with them. This is primarily for dicking around on learning the basics of synthesis. Im not at work this week so Im going to pop over to Leicester and have a look at the Monologue
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Try the Roland Aira System 1. It took some flak for it's strange keyboard (which is not touch sensitive) and (frankly stupid) ditching of regular pitch-bend and mod controls, but I think it more than makes up for it with it's sounds and it harks back to the good old days of analogue, of one job per control with almost no hidden parameters. It can do poly as well as mono.
    It really rekindled my love of synthesis when I got one. Plus, it's got lush green lights all over it!
    You can pick up used ones for less than 300 quid, but be sure to get the registration info for access to The Roland Cloud. I didn't... ultra-cheap bargain but no docs and Roland are particularly c*nty about not letting me be part of their gang without it. 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Bought a monologue 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Bought a monologue 
    You did the right thing.